The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 01-07-2007, 06:48 AM   #196
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Here are some photos from Makati.

Just for the record, I'll be avoiding the Phils during the new year's celebration here on out.
Attached Images

slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #197
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

O-B-E-Y the Pinoy Princess.....or else! It's difficult to get mad at the PP even though we've spoiled her beyond recovery.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #198
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Just some random shots
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2007, 06:54 AM   #199
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

A nice place to visit but not a great place to live. The sad reality for millions there.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #200
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

"I'm so bored not being the center of attention....maybe I should sing again"
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #201
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

New year's celebrations get out of hand?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #202
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
New year's celebrations get out of hand?
No more than normal I'm told.

The random image #1 from the previous post was not out of control and in fact was one of countless types of fireworks displays there.

Do you remember seeing the footage from Baghdad in the first hours of Gulf War 1? All the noise and the streaming tracers flying everywhere?

That's what their celebration reminded me of. The fireworks are so cheap that nearly everyone can buy them. Firecrackers were going off during the day and night. Sometimes right under your feet when walking around .

You need to take a cab or a tricycle somewhere? There's a million kids throwing firecrackers at random at vehicles in the street. Care to take a walk around? These little jokesters follow the hapless white man firing the little noisemakers off here and there.

I'm sure it was very funny seeing me dance all those times. I'll pass on future NY's festivities though. The days approaching future NY's as well.

Maybe more beer would have made it all better. And a good set of safety glasses.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 AM   #203
Luisa
I'm a mental nomad

Just adding my New year's experience to the mix. I almost lost my hearing one afternoon when a bunch of kids fired a BOGA (Exploding) Canon into my ear. The cannon is made from PVC pipes and can be as small as a hand held gun or as large as a military issued bazooka. They have handles on it that allow you to hold it like a real fire arm. The explosion is caused by alcohol swabs that were saturated by denatured alcohol, shaken to heat up and then the cotton wick is lit up and you wait for the BANG.

Well, I was walking home one afternoon and unconsciouly walked slow enough to be their moving target. The next thing I knew, I was reeling and hearing a constant BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING in my ear that stayed for a whole 2 days. I was so mad I threw a straight punch at the kid aimed in the face. Then I hit him with my umbrella. He dropped the canon and ran!

I can hear better now. But I probably lost hearing capacity in my left ear permanently because of these stupid people who think blowing things and people up is FUN.

Anyway, things got so out of hand with the BOGA because drunks and adventurist people started putting projectiles into the cannon and injuring people throughout the country. So the police stepped in and started confiscating the offending pyrotechnic instrument and arresting anybody who used it. That made my New Year's Eve Watching them get rounded up on TV was the best sweet justice justice I could have asked for.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #204
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
The next thing I knew, I was reeling and hearing a constant BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING in my ear that stayed for a whole 2 days. I was so mad I threw a straight punch at the kid aimed in the face. Then I hit him with my umbrella. He dropped the canon and ran!

That made my New Year's Eve Watching them get rounded up on TV was the best sweet justice justice I could have asked for.
I know walloping the kid who damaged your hearing was scant repayment, but good on you all the same. Despite technically believing that violence solves nothing, I know that a well placed smack with an umbrella is worth all the Government Safety Adverts in the world.

And yes, I would have been rubbing my hands with glee watching the TV too
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #205
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
I can hear better now. But I probably lost hearing capacity in my left ear permanently because of these stupid people who think blowing things and people up is FUN.

Anyway, things got so out of hand with the BOGA because drunks and adventurist people started putting projectiles into the cannon and injuring people throughout the country. So the police stepped in and started confiscating the offending pyrotechnic instrument and arresting anybody who used it. That made my New Year's Eve Watching them get rounded up on TV was the best sweet justice justice I could have asked for.
These things were there when I was visiting. The first few that I saw were about 3 inches in diameter and about 4ft long. They make a good bang for sure.

Then....I started seeing tubes about 8 inches in diameter with much louded bangs.

You'd see these jackasses walking down the street with them, putting the bore through windows and such. Then you'd see people whacking them in the head with an umbrella.

When I would see these "kids" or when they would see me and start walking toward me with that big shit eating grin I'd point very sternly and shout "nakamamatay", only because I dont yet know how to say..."if you don't want that tube jammed straight up your ass, stay clear of me".

It's not often that Filipinos annoy me. The fireworks did mildly but those boomtubes were downright irritating.

Wish I'd seen one of them get taken by the police. The only news reports that we saw was of the emergency room and those injured by fireworks.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #206
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

This is one of those threads that I enjoy reading and keeping up with but don't want to post anything in it for fear of derailing it.

Carry on.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #207
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

A trip to the "PI" just wouldnt be complete without a little (or a lot) kerioki
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #208
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Attached Images

Old 01-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #209
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

The garbage man here (Guadalupe) hit me up for a donation. His plea was so funny that I took this photo.....and gave him 10 pesos.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #210
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Ever think your bed is a bit hard?
Attached Images