The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2003, 07:13 PM   #16
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Thank goodness SOMEONE gets it!

*From http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...c/crusade.html

Quote:
Invariably, when I do a presentation anywhere in this country, the issue of affirmative action comes up. People say that white males are the ones who are being discriminated against in this country today. So I say, "Fine. OK. Will every white person in this room who would like to spend the rest of his or her life being treated, discussed, and looked upon as we treat, discuss, and look upon people of color, generally speaking, in this society, please stand?" And I watch. And wait. And the only sounds in the room are those made by people of color as they turn in their seats to see how many white folks are standing. Not one white person stands. And I just let them sit there. Then I say, "Do you know what you just admitted? You just admitted that you know that it's happening, you know that it's ugly, and you know that you don't want it for you. So why are you so willing to accept it for others? The ultimate obscenity is that you deny that it's happening."

I think white people aren't aware that racism isn't just wearing white hoods and burning crosses. It's also fixing the system so that black votes don't get counted. It's refusing to open the polling places in precincts where most of the eligible voters are people of color. It's outlawing affirmative action at the state level even though it has proven successful. It's building more prisons than we build schools and guaranteeing that they will be filled by targeting young men of color with things like the "three strikes" legislation in California, and the DWB -- "driving while black." These are problems encountered by young black men all over this country. It's the fact that there are more children attending segregated schools in the U.S. today than there were previous to Brown vs. Board of Education. It's white flight and red-lining by financial institutions. It's television programming that portrays people of color as villains and white people as their victims. It's ballot-security systems, which are used to intimidate minority voters and so result in the very activities which they are supposedly designed to prevent.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:09 PM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Historic document?? The US Constitution, The Bill of Rights, the Gettysburg Address, The first episode script of I love Lucy, but that?
Okay, so I forgot the quotes and the [sarcasm] tags ...
thought it would be clear enough when I busted on the webmaster (funnything for an antislavery site to have, isn't it?) for deleting the "n-word" from the speech.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:58 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

Okay, so I forgot the quotes and the [sarcasm] tags ...
thought it would be clear enough when I busted on the webmaster (funnything for an antislavery site to have, isn't it?) for deleting the "n-word" from the speech.
Oh, oh, oh, My bad, Wolf. ndetroits response made me think you were talking about photo5 that Tony linked.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 12-12-2003 at 04:20 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 04:37 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I thought it was strange to delete "nigger" from the Willie Lynch speech. I think they're missing an opportunity tie "nigger" firmly to the worst treatment of a group of people, the world has ever known.
"Spic", "Dago", "Kike", "Pollack", etc. are insults and derogatory, but "nigger" alone is integral and symbolic of the heinous inhumanity that was slavery.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:16 AM   #20
warch
lurkin old school

I noticed that African drum link didnt print "bitch" in the text either, probably because they intend its use by school kids.

Last spring when we had some historic lynching photos in the museum. I remember one kid in particular, a black guy about 14 years old, so angry and amazed. And his teacher did a great job of talking him through what he was looking at. But it was clear that he could hardly believe it. I think it was because it was a real, original document. Maybe a story for the disillusionment thread. Its some big anger to channel.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 07:38 PM   #21
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

here's another one from his "notebook" this guy is seriously screwed up! if y'all can't read it ok, let me know and i'll post it in it's origial size......
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2003, 07:42 PM   #22
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

He spelled inertia wrong.

Free your miiiiiiiind and the rest will follow! Be color bliiiiiiiiiiiiind don't be so shallow!! *dances*
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:57 AM   #23
Torrere
a real smartass

I saw a notebook that was somewhat like this.. not violently screwed up.

A girl was flirting with me, but I didn't pay all that much attention to it and she started chatting with this guy. He had a notebook 1/3rd full of stuff that he had written and drawn, presumably while he was in High School.

I glanced at it, and was interested in the philosophy he had... for about a paragraph, when I realized that it was all rah-rah-rah with no substance. Even without substance, the blurbs I read managed to contain a handful of factual errors.

He tells her that he knows a lot about astronomy and the galaxies, so I ask him:
"What's the nearest galaxy?"
"Alpha Centauri, a million light years away from us"

I frown, and stop paying attention.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:45 PM   #24
russotto
Professor

Re: Thank goodness SOMEONE gets it!

"Gets it", my pale white ass.

1) The existence of discrimination against black people does not rule out discrimination against white people

2) The existence of discrimination against black people does not justify discrimination against white people. Maybe for every New Jersey driver pulled over for DWB, they replace one white student with a black student at Rutgers? How does that solve anything?

3) Supporting elimination of affirmative action is not racism, and claiming it is is merely an attempt to poison the well.

4) Nor, for that matter, is supporting "three strikes" racism. "Three strikes" is a bad idea, a discrete solution where a continuous one is called for. It's a band-aid on a festering wound. But it's not in itself racist.

Some of the other things listed there are examples of racism, but it looks to me that Ms. Elliot has mixed in some dodgy examples along with some undeniable ones in order to lend credibility to the dodgy ones.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote