The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #12496
Griff
still says videotape

Seems like a good course in 2020. I had a roommate in college who found stoned tree identification to be most soothing.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #12497
glatt

The expectation he has, based on conversations with Philmont staff, is that he will be cutting down trees and clearing brush in the Fall and stacking it up in big piles every 50 yards or so through the woods.

He's also going to join the skeleton crew that works the winter season. They have the honor of burning all those piles of timber.

All this is in some of the most beautiful country in the US. I'm not sure if he will be hiking in and camping to do this work, or if they stay at the base camp in cabins and drive out to the work site each day on the network of dirt roads on the ranch. But either way, it's exactly the kind of thing he loves to do. Room and board included, I think. The food situation is pretty good too. A step above backpacking food.

He's applied with a good buddy of his that had done trail work with him last summer as part of a trail crew at Philmont, and they worked well together. It should be fun for him, and a lot of hard labor.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #12498
Griff
still says videotape

Is it habitat restoration?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #12499
glatt

Wildfire mitigation, I think.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #12500
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
with the uncertainty around Covid, literally every high school senior should be taking a gap year.
Looks like they are. Uni of Mich -my main place of job application- just announced a complete hiring freeze with the exception of the hospitals due to the projected income deficit due in part to the uncertainty of student numbers/tuition fees for next year

I had found a job Sunday night with a deadline of yesterday and I was just working on a cover letter when the press release came out so after a grocery run and dinner prep, I decided fuck it, banged out a quick cover letter (probably shittiest ever but....) and submitted it at 11:59pm. I guess that made me feel accomplished for a brief while yesterday, even if it was a completely pointless exercise
Old 04-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #12501
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Well done monster.

I've been in the same position scrambling to meet a midnight deadline for a job posting. I'm glad I did, despite not getting the job. You're doing the right thing for the right reasons. Keep it up.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #12502
monster
I hear them call the tide

I cut my hair!

It's shorter and I can spike it again and I can't believe how much happier it's made me. It was driving me nuts. Nutser than I realized, apparently.

I'm no newbie to hair cutting. I always cut my own pre-kids (but it was longer then, which is easier to do on yourself), and beest's, and the kids' until they were middle school, but it does take time and so once we had a little more money and I went shorter and the cheap production-line places like Great Clips were a thing... I paid someone else to do it (and hated every second of it)

And Bajaboi made delicious dinner (which is how I found time. kinda. dinner was ready before I was completely done, so I'mm'a tweek the back another time, but only I know what isn't as I would like it there )

And I ran my 50th mile since Parkrun stopped so that's an accomplishment. Happy is not a word I associate with running.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #12503
glatt

Well done!
Old 04-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #12504
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Nice!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:33 AM   #12505
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I cut my hair!

It's shorter and I can spike it again and I can't believe how much happier it's made me. It was driving me nuts. Nutser than I realized, apparently.

Gah! I know what you mean. Mine's going to get like that soon (and after not making it to the hairdresser's for far too long far too frequently recently the last time I was there I was crowing that I'd be back on a schedule at last! [nope]).
Mr Limey is not, I think, a hairdresser in the making so either I do it myself or go stark. STARING. MAD!
Old 04-24-2020, 05:03 AM   #12506
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I was in dire need of a haircut before this caper began.

Not only do I now resemble a badly thatched cottage, I'm beginning to feel like one.

Can dry rot in the purlins and Deathwatch beetle be far behind?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #12507
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Black beetles that are cutting their capers all over your Morris wallpapers . . . and crawly things never at rest . . .
Old 04-25-2020, 12:08 AM   #12508
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wuhan is slowly cautiously opening businesses, most are still pretty empty except the barbers and hair salons are mobbed.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #12509
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well, it's taken a month but I finally managed to get a groceries delivery slot *hurrah*

... sort of.

There were no delivery slots available for regular grocery shopping (where you put together your own list) from Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsburys - but there were available slots for Morrisons 'Food Boxes'.

I have been wanting to try one of these - just because I think its a genius idea.

https://www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/boxes

I went for the meat eaters food box. Contents variable, but should contain something along the lines of:

Quote:
Canned baked beans, soup and pasta sauce

Milk

Dairy products such as butter and cheese

Bread

Rice and pasta

Meat products, such as sausage, bacon and cooked meat

Vegetables, such as potatoes, carrots and onions

Fresh meat such as chicken or beef

Essential household items
£35 including delivery - supposedly enough basics (not including coffee, tea sugar or breakfast cereal) for 1 week for 2 people - so definitely enough for me for over a week

I will keep trying for a slot for a full groceries list but if this works out then it should at least allow me to cut down my trips to the village shop down to once or twice a week instead of every 2nd or 3rd day.

Pet food I can mainly order separately online and my neighbour gave me a phone number for a local dairy that are doing 3x a week deliveries of fresh milk, butter, eggs and I think yoghurt

The idea of a preset shopping list of basics really appeals to me. I think even without the current crisis, it's a genius idea. And then supplement it with stuff from the local shop - means not having to go to the supermarket at all.

Right now cutting down the number of times I have to go into the shop at all, and also cutting down the amount of time I spend in the shop when I do go in, by reducing the number o items I have to buy in there is a very good thing.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #12510
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Probably a can of Soylent Green in there for Carrot.