Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #2686
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae
None of the children on my table at school seem to be capable of sitting properly on their chairs. They sit right on the edge, rest of the chair pushed out behind them, slouched right over their work. ARGH!
In our schools, both as a child and now, everyone above Kindgarten uses single-unit desks, where the chair is attached to the desk and can't be pushed in or out (or leaned back.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #2687
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Not your chest, I'm guessing...
Nope, just migrating south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
In our schools, both as a child and now, everyone above Kindgarten uses single-unit desks, where the chair is attached to the desk and can't be pushed in or out (or leaned back.)
Our classrooms are fluid. Children sit in different groups for different subjects, so a group table might accommodate 4 or 6 - 8 as an extreme.

Chairs can be set out theatre style for some activities, or for "Godly Plays" (we are a faith school) in a round. Tables can be set in a horseshoe or moved back against the walls completely, with chairs available or stacked on top.

The ONLY time I had a chair attached to a desk in school was in drama, where there was a little flip top desk on each chair. Very useful in a space created more for movement than taking notes. But I was 15 by then.

Just another interesting difference I guess.
But I wonder if it has to do with having more space. My schools have started as small affairs and grown. Space has always been at a premium with rooms allocated as and when they are free. Perhaps where land is more easily allocated, buildings are larger and rooms don't need to supply as many functions?

A guess.

Last edited by Sundae; 01-12-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Godly Plays, not Plyas
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #2688
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

That would have made it very difficult for the nuns to "dump" my desk while I was outside for recess and they thought it was too messy. Yes, you would come back from recess with all your stuff from your desk all over the floor.
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #2689
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Not here. Mostly tables and chairs with flexible arrangements and not just in our hippy school -pretty much all of the elementaries.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #2690
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
OK, you know the old song "How Long (has this been going on?)"

It was by the band Ambrosia. Right?

Yet on I Fart Radio, they always list it as by O'Aces.

And a search finds it by a band called Ace. I remember a band called Ace.

Huh? WHICH IS IT? HELP ME.
Quote:
Ha. There it is again. This time I saved the picture. It is definitely the song How Long and the picture on I Heart Radio is of some guys, with O'Aces written over them. WTF?

However, I can't attach it. I get this message:

Upload Errors
imscale.png:
This JPEG image has the incorrect file extension.

I opened it in MS Pic Manager but it won't let me save it as anything else.

Crud.

I know it's not important. I just don't get it.
There it was again!
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #2691
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

People falling off chairs they've been swinging on is funny. I'm just saying...

specially when you actually see their face as they realise they've reached the point of no return and they just have to try and land gracefully...which never happens.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #2692
infinite monkey

I remember in elementary school some kid leaning back in his chair and next thing you know he was on his back and he just sat there, mouth hanging open and silent. I remember everyone saying "oh, he's in shock." Hahahhaha!

Funny the things you remember. Funny how the Cellar makes me remember so many things.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #2693
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
I didn't have a problem leaning back. However...

When I was in sixth grade, I had a desk/chair like this. I can't remember why, but for some reason, I stood up while still in the desk. That is, as I stood up, my feet were still in the position they would be in while seated. This was the style of chair/desk. There just wasn't room for my feet/calves/trunk to stand in that spot without being top heavy and off balance. I was leaning forward, reaching forward and lost my balance. I gripped the front edge of the desk as I faceplanted the desk. Faceplanted the desk, not my face. But my hand gripping the front of the desk? I landed with my fingers under the leading edge of the desk with the whole weight of my body on the desk, practically guillotining my fingers. I broke my right forefinger at the first knuckle.

Luckily, I got out of class!

Name:  schooldesk.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  13.6 KB
Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #2694
infinite monkey

OMG BigV!

We had one of those old desks at my house. There were carvings in it from wherever it was before my dad found it and brought it home. I used to love to play school. We also had one of those that had hinges and opened on the top, with a big deep storage area.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #2695
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
We also had one of those that had hinges and opened on the top, with a big deep storage area.
I have one of those as well. I bought it when a local private school upgraded. My dad and I refinished it and it's really nice ... waiting for grandchildren at this point. I hadn't remembered them till just now. Damn we did that a long time ago.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #2696
infinite monkey

Absolutely! What a great purchase.

I want an old card catalog. They're so expensive. I miss card catalogs.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #2697
glatt

I got a card catalog! It was in the library at my firm, and they were getting ready to throw it away. I was in the right place at the right time. It's in my workshop now. Full of misc hardware. And one drawer is full of cassette tapes for my boombox down there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #2698
infinite monkey

*envious*

The nurse at my old job had one in her office and she said her husband had one at home that he used like you do.

I really miss looking up books in a card catalog.

someday I'll have a house and have antiquey stuff like that. I have a few things, but I love old stuff.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #2699
glatt

well, mine is a small card catalog. Only four drawers. It was a smaller library. It's still pretty neat though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #2700
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Had my second pooper today.
Gagged and retched very much. I think I hid it from the child though. He has problems with his digestive system so it's not unknown for this to happen. But he was visibly distressed and unable to even vocalise what had happened.

Luckily he was standing up at the time, and it stayed contained in his pants (shorts). No cleanup needed (he was able to wipe himself with moist tissue), then replace the pants with school spares.

Also had to put a pupil in time out for the first time.
75% of the class today were fizzing and giggling and talking nonstop.
She just had the misfortune to be on my table. She got her warnings according to standard procedure, then I made her sit on the floor facing the wall.
She bounced back fine, but it stopped the silliness at least.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dum, oh the whorror