The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post
At what point is sex a sin?
A guy from the Bronx has an incredibly debauched weekend, he is pretty much wasted from Friday afternoon up till Sunday morning when he goes to church to confession. As he's sitting there in the confessional, he is trying to piece together the lewd and lascivious events of the weekend in order to make a full confession. There are certainly some blank patches but what he does remember gets him a penance that he'd need to take a few weeks off work to perform. He spends the rest of the day with a hangover beginning his penance for his wanton, lust filled weekend.

The next morning on his way to work, the guy is wondering if maybe his local parish priest might have been a little overboard with the penance. He decides to duck into a small church in the East Village to confess his sins again. He recounts his weekend to the priest. The priest is quiet for a few moments and tells him, "God is forgiving. Say three Hail Marys, and put 10 bucks in the poor box." Surprised and a bit puzzled the guy tells the priest that he confessed the esact same sins to his priest in the Bronx and was given a penance of outrageous magnitude.

The priest nods knowingly and then says, "Ahhh, what do they know about fancy fucking up in the Bronx?"
Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Really?? Even if you are married?? Where do you get your information from....
K-Mart.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
UncaDollas
Banned

UncaDollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
At what point is sex a sin?? If you are single and never been married is it ok to have sex?? Or is Sex a special thing reserved for marriage. Me personally I don't plan on getting married, never have never will. So dose that mean I can never have sex?? Or Am I just DOOMED to masturbate my life away?? Honestly I've tried it a few times and I don't really feel a need to do it. An I have written and said a few things about it that may be controversial. SO whats YOUR opinion. Is SEX necessary?

qcc??
I gather from what I've read of your posts that you're a fairly conservative Christian person - so I'd have to say - your doctrine defines this point pretty clearly. Paul said in 1 Cor 7:9 - But if they can't control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It's better to marry than to burn with lust., and then in 1 Thessalonians 4:4 that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable.

Basically sex is reserved for the sanctity of marriage (according to the Christian faith), and anything done outside of marriage, is a sin. Old Testament teachings indicate that masturbation is also a sin, because it 'spills the seed' of Man on the ground, eliminating the source of life. (Although there is debate as to whether or not those laws still apply now that Jesus has been here).

Personally - I don't believe that what I do in my bedroom is governed by G-d - nor His followers. I'm comfortable with my life, how I've lived it, and where I am now. In order to be comfortable with yourself, you have to reconcile your actions with your beliefs. If you strive to live the Word - no sex for you. If you believe it's an interpretation - well, time to interpret.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

I'd like to know what exactly it is in the human mind that makes so many organised religions so uptight about sex, and intent on controlling it.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Control sex and you control the reproductive future of the faithful.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Ibby
erika

Control sex and you control more than their reproductive future - you control their conscience and their self-worth. If you make sex a moral issue, then - since almost everybody is driven to some degree or another by sexual urges - you give yourself that much more of a hand in controlling their lives.

I think the only common thread between the world's religions - the unifying factor - is that they are ways to organize and control human action, and controlling sex is the number one way to control everything else humans do.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
JBKlyde
Banned

Quote:
they are ways to organize and control human action
I think most are just trying to get people to control themselves..
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #24
JBKlyde
Banned

Life by the Spirit

13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b] 15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
JBKlyde
Banned

If I ever get to the point of going postal...what I'll do is go to some gay parade and blow em all away..
Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #26
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
If I ever get to the point of going postal...what I'll do is go to some gay parade and blow em all away..
for that ^^^ you should be banned and reported.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #27
Ibby
erika

yuuuup. get him gone. that sure sounds like a final straw to me.

Threatening mass murder, especially the destruction or annihilation of a minority? that's acceptable nowhere.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
Ibby
erika

In fact, i think the mods might want to report his IP and any identifying information to law enforcement, but I might be being a little sensitive.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

That was my point when I said "reported."
Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
Ibby
erika

Oh. Yeah, then I definitely agree. I figured you meant "report post", which I also did.