The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #16
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

It clearly says, "adult content" goodbye cellar Aussie's. Have fun with your play skool internetz!!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:45 AM   #17
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was looking forward to a response from an Aussie. I had a feeling it would be the internet equivalent of a shrug I do have to pick you up on this though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Second of all, as far as euthenasia is concerned, I don't agree with that, however the motivation would be a woman a few years ago who wanted to euthenase herself live online with people watching in order to raise awareness. Obviously no western government wants to be seen to be supporting euthenasia at this time.
Actually it's legal in some places in Europe. Switzerland seems to be the first choice for Brit Death Tourists, but it's also legal in Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands with so-called "passive suicide (patients allowed to refuse treatment) legal in Italy and Sweden.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:56 AM   #18
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

True, Sundae, but live online euthansia is probably a step too far even there.

As for the anorexia sites: these are a serious problem. I have seen them, and they contribute to many a youngster's dangerous descent into self-starvation. How long do you think it would take for a website with a full how-to guide to buying and taking illegal drugs to be closed down?

I think we can get carried away in the hysteria over freedom of speech on the internet. There are some real threats to our intellectual liberties which deserve our concern and attention, but there is also an argument for some safeguards in the virtual sphere, just as there are safeguards in every other sphere of life.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 AM   #19
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Hey! What's going on? Have I been banned or something?

:taps glass:

J/K.
It isn't going to pass.
Yes the religious right is an active political lobbyist here. But the blogosphere has been alerted, pollies' inboxes are swelling with disapproval, ties are being nervously striaghtened.
And yes, the journalist is hyping it. "... might one day possibly be extended to... "

Bah, humbug.

Remember to take that pinch of salt with everything you read.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:08 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
True, Sundae, but live online euthansia is probably a step too far even there.
Okay, it was probably just the way Ali worded it. But in countried where it is legal, there would be no need to show it live online.
Quote:
As for the anorexia sites: these are a serious problem. I have seen them, and they contribute to many a youngster's dangerous descent into self-starvation.
I disagree with this too. I believe that's the same as saying teaching children that some people are homosexual promotes and therefore causes homosexuality. I'm not saying I support pro-ana websites, but I've known any number of girls with eating disorders (I seem to inspire their confidence) and this was back at a time where there was no online advice. They managed to fuck themselves up pretty well without it. Again, because of the personal aspect to me, I have looked at these websites. I think they help to some extent. These are young girls who are suffering, alone, afraid. The contact with others in the same situation does not normalise their condition - they are not normal, they know they are not normal, they are killing themselves - but it does take away one aspect of the pain.
Quote:
I think we can get carried away in the hysteria over freedom of speech on the internet. There are some real threats to our intellectual liberties which deserve our concern and attention, but there is also an argument for some safeguards in the virtual sphere, just as there are safeguards in every other sphere of life.
We (ie the Rest of the World) don't have the same Freedom of Speech issues that the Americans have. I certainly agree with you, and I suspect may people would globally. I don't think it's the thin end of the wedge, and if it was, it started with banning paedo images.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:13 AM   #21
DanaC

I'm talking about the sites which actively promote the anorexia 'lifestyle' with tips on how to best avoid calories, how to rid your body of unwanted food etc etc, how to hide the problem more effectively, how to sidestep the intervention programmes.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:22 AM   #22
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yes, but again I can't see how it can encourage anyone into the lifestyle. I don't believe anorexia is a choice, I believe it is a mental disorder. Which is why sitting down and having a chat with an anorexic about the harm they are doing themself makes no difference. Which is why anorexics with tubes in their bodies will try to rip them out, knowing they are x days from death.

We can agree to disagree.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #23
DanaC

Oh I'm not suggesting that they encourage anybody into the lifestyle. I just think they add a very unhelpful (from a medical/psychiatric standpoint) element of sub-culture which then feeds back into the anorexia, providing an internal normative structure, entrenching them further and providing them with more tools to evade help or intervention

[eta] on a related topic, did you see that programme the other week? Dana, the Eight Year Old Anorexic

Utterly heartbreaking. Fascinating though, too.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #24
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
We (ie the Rest of the World) don't have the same Freedom of Speech issues that the Americans have. I certainly agree with you, and I suspect may people would globally. I don't think it's the thin end of the wedge, and if it was, it started with banning paedo images.
I am completely less trusting on that assumption...
Old 10-31-2008, 09:01 AM   #25
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

All this talk of anorexia is making me hungry.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #26
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I just ate some pineapple and spicy beef jerky. Yum.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I was troughing beef jerky yesterday. Very naughty (it was supposed to be in my Christmas boxes to British soldiers!)

I will replace it.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #28
Billy
Professor

Another thing links to China
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM   #29
glatt

Billy! How are you?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #30
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

It's law enforcement that needs to do their jobs, and filters seem like a slack way to do that. They need to make arrests. Keeping you from adult content is not going to keep the illegal sites from being up. Or created. You just won't see them or the cellar indiscretions that you tried to click on.

Not that this is going to pass. When something bad happens the powers try to extend beyond the realm they are intended. Think of the children. I did post my butt here once, Aussie's here are just all about having a filter from now on to block that highly questionable content, and I understand.