The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
Bruce, you wrote that it's not about me or the production. I guess you're right, but on the other hand, I'm wondering what you assume "reimagining" means. The play is about 60 per cent translated into Tlingit, while the soliliquies and Macbeth and Lady Macbeth in their scenes together are in English. The idea being that there is a change when individuals choose to break from the group.
What we say here has no effect on the real world, it's just personal views of how the real world is unfolding. These threads can be misleading, rather than flow, they meander like a brook. A cocktail party, not a scholarly forum, but that's OK, because we don't pretend otherwise.

We couldn't know how your production reimagined Macbeth. That's why we couldn't discuss it particularly, only the concept of reimagining and of course other attempts we've been exposed to, will color opinions.
Quote:
You see, it's not reimagined for its own sake-- the play does indeed highlight someone's fatal personal ambition. Putting others before the self is a huge value in the Tlingit culture.
Your description sounds like a cool concept. I would think the viewer would have to understand Tlingit or be familiar with Macbeth first, to follow it.
Makes me ponder whether you're importing Shakespeare into Tlingit or Tlingit into Shakespeare. Maybe importing Tlingit into America's consciousness, via Shakespeare.
Caution - Do not try to determine this, while stoned!
Quote:
I've been told by someone I respect, a poet named Robert Bringhurst, that you can dislike literature all you want, but it's like disliking food or air, if you don't use it you'll get sick. I think about this when folks try to use the old "dead white irrelevant man" argument for Shakespeare. Go ahead and dislike him, or "challenge the status quo". Your loss.
Fair enough. Likening literature to air & food is appropriate. We all know there is a vast range in the quality of all three...... preferances too.
I don't drink coffee, preferring to get my caffine elsewhere. But I realize the vast majority use coffee.... I'm cool with that and neither condemn them nor defend myself. We both wonder about those decaf drinkers, though.
Quote:
On the other hand, there are great, great poets, writers, artists, unrecognized. I'm thinking of the great oral poets of my area, in Southeast Alaska. Some are survived in texts waiting to be retranslated over and over again for each new generation, and perhaps read by those who learn the original language. I hope, as we gain more recognition, and bring out new artists, that we can bring out that side of the culture.

Thanks,
Ishmael
Yes, I touched briefly on oral traditions in Europe, wondering if Shakespeare was the first to put their age old human conflicts in written English. At least in entertaining stories people would remember.
I should think these human foibles would show up in the campfire tales and bedtime stories of every culture. Could be the basis of many religions, too.

You said. "....retranslated over and over again for each new generation, and perhaps read by those who learn the original language." Are you referring to being translated, literally, into different languages? Or the lessons they contain, the wisdom they carry, being translated into how it can apply to the readers life?
Obviously, oral stories that survive, do so because they struck a chord with each person that passed it on. Contain wisdom and humor every generation could identify with.

Again, a million thanks, for spending a little time to entertain and educate us on another little piece of the world. Hopefully, someone at the Smithsonian is smart enough to capture and preserve one of your performances.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 AM   #47
Ishmael
Neophyte-in-training

Response to Bruce's Q's

Makes me ponder whether you're importing Shakespeare into Tlingit or Tlingit into Shakespeare. Maybe importing Tlingit into America's consciousness, via Shakespeare.

Bruce, I would hope it's all three, and more.

You said. "....retranslated over and over again for each new generation, and perhaps read by those who learn the original language." Are you referring to being translated, literally, into different languages? Or the lessons they contain, the wisdom they carry, being translated into how it can apply to the readers life?

Both. Translations can't help but be a generational interpretation. Last generation's Ciardi translation of Dante's Inferno gives way to Pinsky's.

Again, a million thanks, for spending a little time to entertain and educate us on another little piece of the world. Hopefully, someone at the Smithsonian is smart enough to capture and preserve one of your performances.

Yes, we've videotaped. Watch out for sealaskaheritage.org when it starts being available in the months ahead.

Thanks,
Ishmael
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 AM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm glad to hear it was videotaped, it's certainly peaked my curiosity and I'll bet at least a few others. If you think of it, give us a heads up when sealaskaheritage.org becomes available.

Thanks again for your patience, and stop by once in a while when you're bored, we're always asking questions.