The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-07-2003, 02:44 AM   #1
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Micro non-manager

I started a new job a couple weeks ago and things have been going pretty well. There are a few redflags I am seeing now and I'd like some input.

The short explaination is this little snag goes like this:

There is a man working on the production line with me that is not the manager or supervisor that *insists* on managing/controlling me and some other new people. Normally, I dont get upset about advice or instruction directly related to my job. I know I dont know a lot about the work and the company. There are 2 very specific things that annoy me about him though.

1) If you dont do something exactly as he directs it done, he acts as if you are "fucking with his authority" even if the reality is you are having difficulty understanding or executing his instructions.

2) His commands extend into non-work related matters. The only example I can think of at this moment was his "command" for me to sit down in the break room because I had gotten up to return back to the line before he and the other newbies. He said we had a few minutes left. I just ignored him which made him pissy.

Now, I have dealt with people in my life. I have also had jobs working with people and I have a good idea how companies work.

It's best that I get a suitable strategy for dealing with this one particular guy because I intend on working there for at least a year, until I earn my CS degree. If I dont find some constructive method I wont be able to stay. From the moment I met this guy he has rubbed me, and more than a few others, the wrong way.

The first day I started he made it a point to tell me:

* He was a Marine in Nam and he can kick anyones ass in the plant

* He has killed people in the Marine corp and he could see himself doing it again, aint no big deal

* he doesnt take shit from anyone

* He is worth over a million dollars ( and yet he has decided to work at a sink factory for 10 bucks an hour )

* He has a wife and a girlfriend (and he doesnt give a fuck)

* he can drink a horse under the table

* basically whatever you have done/seen/been, aint shit compared to what he did or does.

Now I will say hes a strong guy and a good worker. I also have a great respect for veterans, especially Marines. Too bad hes such a dumbass.

My personal plan is to avoid him as well as reasonably possible during lunch/breaks, ask him if there is anything he sees me doing that is wrong, explain exactly why I'm not doing any given thing precisely as he does it, and talk to the real supervisor every night, even if for just 2 minutes. The real super is very hands off and I get along with him great. I dont want to create any conflict between MarineGuy and the super.

What I am looking for are success stories with similar people or creative diplomatic solutions from your own experience.

Last edited by slang; 10-07-2003 at 02:48 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:56 AM   #2
Rush Limballs
NOT a gay republican

Does he listen to my show?
Rush Limballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:59 AM   #3
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Rush Limballs
Does he listen to my show?
I havent asked and I dont care.

Are you high again Rush? Why do you care?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:01 AM   #4
Rush Limballs
NOT a gay republican

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
Why do you care?
No, I'm not high. Those allegations are a setup by Kofi. Who's side are you on here?

Does he like golf?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:04 AM   #5
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Rush Limballs
Does he like golf?
I think I remember him saying something like "Golf is for fags"

Will you FUCK off unless you're going to contribute a diplomatic solution to the post?
Old 10-07-2003, 03:11 AM   #6
Rush Limballs
NOT a gay republican

Anyone that thinks I've had a bad few days lately clearly hasn't seen your sad little excuse for a life.

Ooh Slang. Just kidding. I'll send you an EIB Drive Master Golf Pack
freebie.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:25 AM   #7
ThreadHijackMan
Changing the flow

I took this picture last night. While I was out snapping it, the flash attracted the attention of an old woman who came out onto her front porch and threw a frying pan at me.
Attached Images

ThreadHijackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 03:35 AM   #8
AngryWebLemming
NOT a hateful lemming

Re: Micro non-manager

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
From the moment I met this guy he has rubbed me, and more than a few others, the wrong way.
(activates the IGNORE feature on ThreadHiJackMan)

It sounds to me like you have a reasonable plan. If he is truly that abrasive, the boss knows this.

Sounds to me like he's trying to find new people that will listen to him. The old time employees have likely written him off as someone totally FOS! He needs new people to obey him.

I've known a few in my day. This character trait is not exclusive to Marines!
AngryWebLemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:15 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes him to death and then keep going about your business.
When he barks orders laugh, smile, act like he's kidding.
Ask the real boss if this guy is always like this, in an offhanded manner, just to see if they're aware.
Try not to embarrass him in front of others because it'll definately force a confrontation.
Form a coalition with the other newbies to ignore him.
Alternative- Call his bluff in front of everyone then take him out, assuming you don't need him for anything.
There are these "fer me or agin me" assholes everywhere, Slang. It sounds like you've got him pegged pretty well, so much depends on your bullshit tolerance. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:13 AM   #10
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I'd pretty much stay the hell out of his way. He's very threatened by folk who don't fall under his lead.

Don't think for a minute that you will ever win a public battle with this self-proclaimed dickhead, either. He's a soldier without a battlefield just looking for an excuse...

I'd also caution you about being upfront with the other folk under his lead - they will probably rat you out. Now if they come to you, that's fine but I'd still watch your words as they might be "scouts."

Sorry but this has nuthin' but trouble for you written all over it - apply for a transfer and suck it up till you get it.

There's a chance you could beat this guy in the long run but you'd end up paying an awful lot for not a whole lot.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:01 AM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

You know, I think I used to work with this guy. Is his name Dave Johnson? Ask him if he was ever a roofer...

People like this have zero control over their real lives, so they attempt to create situations that they can dominate. He probably does have both a wife and a girlfriend...but they cuckold the hell out of him, and make him miserable.

He probably does have a million dollars...in back tax debt and penalties.

He probably was a Marine who killed people...he ran over a bunch of school kids in a crosswalk driving a military garbage truck while intoxicated.

I think Bruce gave you good advice. Don't confront this guy. Just don't act like you are his underlilng, since you aren't.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:15 AM   #12
juju
no one of consequence

When I meet people like this, I usually try to avoid them.

If that's not possible, I attempt to get "in" with them. This means I befriend them, find things we have in common, and try to develop a good rappor with them. This may seem a little immoral to some, befriending someone you personally dislike. Well, whatever. I've found that it's MUCH more useful to be in good with people who could harm you than to be on their bad side. They'll always treat you better.

And in the end, when you befriend them, you tend to understand why they behave the way they do. Then their behavior doesn't piss you off as much. But also, they don't give you as much shit if they like you.

Last edited by juju; 10-07-2003 at 11:19 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #13
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From Bruce: Yes him to death and then keep going about your business.
      I think this is excellent advice. You'll become to complicated for him to deal with. Also, ask the why's of everything when he gives orders. You might actually learn something useful, but you'll definately bug the shit out of him 'till he leaves you alone.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:42 PM   #14
ThisOleMiss
Resident President

If you had said Army instead of Marines, I'd swear you were working with my ex-husband.

Tell me, is he tall, thin, balding and does he chain smoke like there is no tomorrow? War stories out the ying-yang but doesn't say when or where they happened, except for generalized locations, doesn't mention unit designations or people?

Sounds like he could possibly be a 'fake vet'. There are a few web stites where you can look the info up. I'll look them up and post them under another topic.

Got to love all those millionaires who will work on an assembly line for ten bucks an hour. Bet he's so full of crap it's running out his ears.

Seriously, though, what he's doing is considered creating a hostile work enviroment. Keep a log of what he says and does, and take it up with your human resources people. Chances are there have been previous complaints. It will also help if there are other people willing to go along with you.

Maggie M...
Old 10-07-2003, 06:22 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

One piece of advice- always be aware of potential cover.