The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

blank video game cartridges

Being interested in video game programming, I have considered buying a blank gameboy cartridge that I could load my efforts onto. Have any of you bought anything like this? If so, could you recommend a vendor?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:31 AM   #2
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

You and I should talk. I used to code years ago and I've got some REALLY good ideas for software, but am not capable enough to pull them off. Some games, and some apps. In college I could code like a champ, but I never coded for GUI. It was always something more utilitarian for an assignment or to help out with homework. I did write some games on the C-64 using sprites, and stuff, but those days are a long time ago.

If we could work on these together we might be able to sell them. The only thing that has stopped me is I'm scared to tell someone else my ideas, and then they get rich on them. It's happened to me several times. It happened when I created vegas.com and my so-called "friend" I built it for doing 18 hour days without sleep or pay to create the front and back ends, to manage a team of high school kids he got cheap, and to make something he could sell. He sold it, took the money and I never saw a dime. Now he owns LA.com and Hawaii.com

I can help with the concepts, with the interface, and even with some of the flowcharting or coding if you help me knock off the cobwebs to the programming lobe of my brain.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You have to pay huge licensing fees to the game console makers to be allowed to make games for their machines. (And they get to approve the game every step of the way to make sure their console brand isn't ruined by shitty games.) The machines that can "create" games, i.e. put the code onto old cartridges or modern disks, are called dev kits, and one PS2 dev kit, for example, goes for around $20,000. I dunno how much gameboy dev kits go for, because my company didn't make games for the gameboy.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote