The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #61
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

4chan did do some leg work apparently: http://basedheisenberg.tumblr.com/po...-of-the-boston
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #62
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, the Enquirer has broken stories, so...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #63
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
In short: fuck off, tw.
An example of a mindset that justifies bombing public events and shooting up schools.

We will never ban backpacks on streets when every store and hotel empties onto those streets. Backpacks, plastic bags, etc are carried by friends holding clothes and materials for runners.

A solution starts, instead, by identifying a problem. Flint demonstrates why we have a problem and how widespread that hate is. Hate justifies extremism and violence. Profanity and insults to justify hate are a characteristic. Hate is a problem that can only increase if more Americans believe Limbaugh style rhetoric rather than think reasonable and informed.

Also characteristic of extremism is the bogeyman. Hate needs bogeymen to recruit more disciples - adults who are still children. Targeted insults are a recruitment tool.

That same rhetoric inspires others to more guns, build bombs, be emotional, and even believe this propaganda:
Quote:
The vast majority of American people DO NOT want freedom. They DO NOT want independence. They DO NOT want control over their own lives. They DO NOT want to make meaningful choices for their lives. They DO NOT want to take any risk.
Clearly "The vast majority of American people" are evil.

No way around what inspires hate. Characterized by personal attacks that are only insults, cheapshots, and based in childish emotion. Quoted above is another example of hate; devoid of any useful contribution to society.

Identify the problem before implementing a solution. Cited are trends. Yet to be learned are details of this particular attacker. We know what inspires them. History says extremist rhetoric and the associated insults encourage violence. Especially when others do not speak out against rhetoric based only in hate. Hate that comes from being told how to think by Limbaugh types rather than learn how the world really works.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #64
glatt

we don't have a thread covering the Ricin envelopes mailed to congress and the President, so I figured I'd post this here.

They think they know who sent those poison envelopes. An Elvis impersonator from Mississippi. Arrested him.

His Flickr page is still up, if you feel like gawking at his pictures from gigs and events. Weird thing is that the page views of the images are so low still. Nobody is looking.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #65
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Probably a good thing if he doesn't get his fifteen minutes of fame.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #66
glatt

I completely agree with you, but when I saw mention of his online life in a news article, I had to go look. There isn't even anything interesting there.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #67
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

photos of the suspects:
http://imgur.com/a/vP0GZ

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #68
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
we don't have a thread covering the Ricin envelopes mailed to congress and the President, so I figured I'd post this here.
I was discussing him without citing his name. He had a long history of preaching government conspiracies. IOW he had a long history of 'knowing' what extremists rhetoric taught. He knew without first learning facts. He knew only the first thing he was told.

An example of why a greatest threat to American citizens is citizens educated in extremist rhetoric. As Timothy McVeigh demonstrated so long ago.

Only moderates and extremists exist. If you learn that, then extremists lose their bogeyman. Extremists need that bogeyman to justify rhetoric and hate.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #69
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Only moderates and extremists exist.
I disagree, there's a third group.
It's large, it's the most dangerous, it has the power to destroy everything we hold dear.

It's the apathetics, who don't know, don't vote, don't care, can't be bothered... hey look, a bird.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, somebody knows who these bastards are...
It may be tough to identify them since they used so much makeup to disguise the fact they're North Korean.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #70
Lamplighter

Authorities are telling the ENTIRE CITY OF BOSTON to stay inside.

My God Almighty... The authorities in this country have gone crazy.

What more could a terror bomber ask for than this ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #71
infinite monkey

Well, the dude's running around, his brother tried to explode himself and a bunch of cops, and killed a cop in the process.

You can be damn sure I'd want my city to shut down too.

Short of my family and food and beer and cigarettes, I don't see any need to be running around with my head held high. (This was the levity part.)

You don't have to like these attacks on our freedom and we can all say how strong we are and we ain't afraid, and MERKINS don't cater to pussy bomb boys..but honestly? If I were there, I would be holed up in my apartment for a while. If I die I don't want it to be at the hands of some goddamn subhuman with fucking religious or penis issues, for no freaking reason. Death by dickhead is far worse to me than a few days hiding. Sorry. Even Anne Frank hid.

Anyway, yesterday I did see an unattended bookbag. It was jammed between a seat in the waiting area and a shelf of paperwork. A week ago I'd have thought nothing of it. I looked around and there were 3 young students not at all close to the bookbag, and none of them were carrying a bookbag. It was surreal. 3 people, one bookbag far away from them. If one had set his down why don't the other 'students' have bookbags? And it wasn't a flowery decorated studenty looking bookbag. It was like industrial, and filled HUGE.

Yeah, paranoia, I gots it. But who can blame me? I just asked the students if the bookbag was theirs and a guy claimed it. Problem solved.

And I hope they get the other guy alive. Don't let the fucker off the hook. Let him go get his ass beat every single day in an American prison. Fucking fuckers.

I'm angry.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #72
infinite monkey

What?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #73
glatt

huh?

I think it's a bit of an over reaction to shut down the airspace over Boston. I can understand that they want to shut down transportation to keep the guy from getting away, but do they really think he's going to be able to bring down an aircraft that's flying over with a pressure cooker?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #74
infinite monkey

But what if he DID? Huh? Huh? What if he DID? How would you feel then?

I know my opinion isn't popular, but I think for a couple days we really can't be 'too' safe.

Also, you can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #75
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Your subhuman penis has issues,

NEXT on Montel Williams