The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #31
glatt

I know LinkedIn is supposed to be good, and I've been on it for around a decade. But in my experience, it's just a way for sales people to contact me. I haven't seen any benefit.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But I your day, anyone who managed to graduate would snag some sort of job. The only competition was to see how far up the corporate ladder you could start from.
Not no mo... without specific skills, credits, and connections, you could be making a tent to survive, from your sheepskin these days.

I wonder why people send me Linked-In invites, when they know I'm happily retired. Must be the same reason they offered me sex when I was happily married... then both stopped at the same time.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

I believe I have 3 connections...
Old 12-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #34
mbpark
Lecturer

I have a bunch of LinkedIn connections. It's now pushed heavily in grad school and as part of work due to the groups.

The groups are a lot better than what most web-based boards have become. I just don't have time for social media outlets these days between family, school, and work. There was a time I'd have the Cellar on in the background at work, but that was many years ago.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #35
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I know LinkedIn is supposed to be good, and I've been on it for around a decade. But in my experience, it's just a way for sales people to contact me. I haven't seen any benefit.
Yeah, but you also haven't been unemployed during that time. I know people who have successfully used their old job contacts on LinkedIn to get employment elsewhere after being laid off. They weren't anything like friends, just old coworkers, so there would have been no realistic way to get in touch with them otherwise.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #36
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpark
If you want to stay in touch....Facebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpark
I just don't have time for social media outlets these days between family, school, and work.
See? You do use it, but you also know you don't have time for it and would probably be a little embarrassed to admit the amount of time you actually spend on it--no matter how small it may or may not be. Perhaps this very conversation will cause you to use it less, not because anyone has told you to, but because it's lost social respectability. The Thing To Do these days is talk about how you don't have time for that sort of endeavor.

It's on the way out.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #37
mbpark
Lecturer

Clodfobble,

I used to have a lot more time for it. Really. This used to be one of my big time-wasters. I used to telnet into the Waffle BBS-based predecessor of this place in the mid-90's. I used DDial for a number of years, and I posted on Usenet (yay comp.sys.cbm). I also used to IRC a lot.

Now I'm down to Facebook, LinkedIn, and here. Here is because I started calling it over 22 years ago. Facebook is because that's where pictures of my children and all of my friends' children are posted, and because that's where everyone else is at.

LinkedIn is entirely professional. Most of the professional organizations I belong to have LinkedIn groups, and those have information I need in them.

Facebook is the lowest common denominator. Everyone is there. More adventurous people have Ello, Google+, or the other networks. Like I said, I can get the info I need at a glance and be on my way .
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #38
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Reports have it that China has almost completed the Great Firewall of China. FaceBook, Gmail, and virtually everything else (except LinkedIn) have been banned. Based in nothing more from our Chinese Celllar Dwellers, I suspect The Cellar was also banned a few years ago.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #39
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I believe I have 3 connections...
And the rest of your synapses, what became of them?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sadly Synapsed.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #41
Griff
still says videotape

Are fried.