The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #4411
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Yes we've employed the measure twice, cut once theory, but ...
You're missing the last part of the saying, which is don't measure at all unless you have to. It's much more accurate to take your board and hold it up where you want it, and make the mark where you need to cut it. When you get a measuring tape involved, you add a couple more opportunities to let error creep in. The reading the measurement, the remembering/writing down the measurement correctly, and the transferring the measurement to the work piece are all prone to error.

But that little nit picking rant aside, you should also remember that when you build something, you see the flaws much more readily than anyone else will. I still notice the spots where the grout lines are a little out of alinement in the shower I tiled. Nobody else knew about them until I pointed them out.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #4412
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yeah we did that as much as we could too glatt. The holding the timber up to make the mark etc.

Maybe my expectations are too high. Anyway, we've got one more window and door to put architraves around. We'll probably do that tomorrow and then start the painting. Hopefully by Saturday the job will be more or less complete if I can just get the sheets of perspex for the doors. We're going to sheet the existing screen doors so that there's another light source, rather than buy new doors which definitely wouldn't have glass panels to let in the light anyway.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #4413
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You're missing the last part of the saying, which is don't measure at all unless you have to. It's much more accurate to take your board and hold it up where you want it, and make the mark where you need to cut it. When you get a measuring tape involved, you add a couple more opportunities to let error creep in. The reading the measurement, the remembering/writing down the measurement correctly, and the transferring the measurement to the work piece are all prone to error.

But that little nit picking rant aside, you should also remember that when you build something, you see the flaws much more readily than anyone else will. I still notice the spots where the grout lines are a little out of alinement in the shower I tiled. Nobody else knew about them until I pointed them out.
That's my story pole and I'm sticking to it.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #4414
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

mildly irritating, upsetting, bumming my stone... whatever.

I have a cold, have had one for a couple days now. It's unpleasant. My inability to breathe easily had really made it difficult to sleep. I'm drinking a lot of tea, the heat soothes my throat. And now, it's raining and cold outside so I'm stuck inside. Ugh.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #4415
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Saturday
In my cube
I guess it's not the fourth of July...

Crap crap crap.

Anyone have a life preserver handy?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #4416
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Or: Infinite Monkey's Excellent Adventure.

Hey, I says to myself, hey there's one of those crap coffee machines down by the cafeteria. The door I normally use was open at 8 so I didn't think much of it...there are a few classes on Saturday.

Well, got near the cafe entrance and a sufficiently creepy couple who were in the terrace area told me the building was closed and asked if I had any change. No.

I walked through some mazes of buildings, trying doors as I go...no luck. Crap! Cell phone in the office. ID card in office. Purse and keys in office. Except of course for my key to the suite. I did have that.

FINALLY I found an open entrance with an intercom into the cop shop. The lady said I needed to sign in. No one ever told me that. Every Saturday I've worked I've gotten into the building with no trouble, and never signed in. She was really nice though. I wound my way through the third floor back to my building.

No coffee, either. I'm a numnut.

And the city smells like a fat rendering plant. I'm not kidding. Though it is a much more pleasant day than the last few, so there's that.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #4417
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Mildly irritated by US politics-related posts creeping in to general purpose threads ...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #4418
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Mildly irritated by US politics-related posts creeping in to general purpose threads ...
One to talk with your catch 22 posts in murphy's law threads, but whatever.

(smartassing it up )
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #4419
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post

(smartassing it up )
One can always count on you, footy.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #4420
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Shopping.

I really dislike doing it. I mean, I can wander around and look at stuff okay, but this was "I have a list and I have to cross things off it" kind of shopping.

Didn't do so well at that, as it happens.

See, what I really needed was a new pair of sneakers. The soles of my beloved Adidas hikers are starting to separate from the shoes, and just gluing them isn't doing it, and I really am not so much of a nerd as to just wrap a piece of duct tape around them, so I need new sneakers.

Now, I have some pride, so I can't just roll down to the Walmart down the street and hook up on some $10 rollback specials.

So, I decided to go to the Target, because I do have this list that included a lot of other things, all of which I knew Target would stock. And they did, except, as it happens, the sneakers. Yes, that's right. The item I specifically went to get, I failed to obtain. They did HAVE sneakers, damn ugly kind of fake Converse sneakers ... no interest there. Lots of kid sneakers, but nothing but those damn ugly converse things in my size. They didn't even have low hikers, which I would have settled for. So, after the shoe aisles I head straight for the checkout.

And realize, in the middle of the parking lot, that I had failed to hit the grocery section, which I had planned as my last stop. Well, it really wasn't a grocery trip, just a trip to get some extras of things I'm close to being out of, but not THAT close, so I keep heading toward the car. Stow everything, and realize I still hadn't gotten the sneakers that pried me off the couch, and I'll need the sneakers, we're doing some rah-rah fitness thing at the rehab, and I signed up for it, so I need some decent sneakers, right? Well, I am just down the mega-center from a sporting goods superstore, and so I'll head in there, yeah, fine, but I'm going to stop in the Old Navy, just to confirm that they don't sell any grown-up clothing, they don't.

So then into the sports store, head for the sneakers, and ask the clerk, "So, do you have anything sneakers that cost less than fifty bucks, aren't white, and aren't high tops?

No.

Back out into the damn heat, but I did run into the Five Below and got some bottled water to fend of the early symptoms of dehydration, and realize I'm looking at the back of a shoe warehouse, go in, grab a pair of very sweet looking Adidas sneakers, try them on, try two other pairs, just in case something else will fit, the $150 Asics were really nice, but didn't look as good on my feets as $150 worth of shoes should, hit the checkout, paid my $49.97 (yay, sale ... $70 regular price) and I was off like a prom dress.

I really don't like shopping.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #4421
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*laughs*

That describes pretty much most of my shopping trips. I am useless if I am going for something specific. I can wander about and look at stuff and maybe buy on impulse with the bst of them. Present me with a shopping task (like something to wear for my cousin's wedding, or a decent pair of wellingtons because my boots have died in the constant rain), and I hate it. Hate. It.

I often just abandon the idea after a short while, fuck off home for a cuppa.

My favourite shopping is accidental shopping. Yesterday I went into town to pick up a prescription. I got a lift in with mum who then went off killing time in the charity shops (thrift stores) whilst I was waiting on the script.

A couple of days prior, I had been on an unsuccessful welly shopping expedition to TKMaxx, followed by an even less succesful internet trawl. Saw some on the Next site that looked great, but the reviews suggested they'd start splitting after a month or so. Saw some gorgeous Hunter boots, but I can't justify £80 on a pair of wellingtons for walking the dog in the rain.

Stood in the chemist waiting for meds, and Ma phoned me to say she was in the camping and outdoors shop and there were some wellies there. Popped in on my way back to the car and saw the ones she'd mentioned: lovely looking, with a bright floral design on a dark background. £25 and looking verylike the ones with the bad review I'd seen. Then, just tucked in a corner, for £15, plain green Dunlop wellies.

I asked the guy if the £25 price tag was paying for the flowers or if they were a better quality too. He said the Dunlop were better quality.

So ended up with some nice, but entirely serviceable Dunlop wellies, for £15. Job done. Accidental shopping is best.

Last edited by DanaC; 07-13-2012 at 04:48 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #4422
Aliantha

Tonight after footy, which was about 9pm, Mav asked me for the car keys so he could get some stuff out of the car and put it into his mates car whom he was going home with.

After 10 mins he still wasn't back, and when Aden and I went out to the car park, we found Maverick had left, with the car keys.

I was beyond mildly irritated at first, but thanks to the boys coach, we were able to get home, pick up the spare key, then go back and get the car.

That boy probably wont be fit to play next week.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #4423
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

just to be clear.... he didn't drive your car away, right?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #4424
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

right V. Probably put the keys in his pocket and left.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #4425
Aliantha

thats right classic. i am going to kill him.

Tags
mild cheddar