The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #4636
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Agree. And fwiw, it was the same with my ex-mil's dementia. Her veneer, which was thin to start with, completely disappeared and she got outright mean - said hurtful things to her sons, totally despised her daughters-in-law, and made everyone miserable at the seniors' residence/nursing home. It was sad to see. But I don't take that away as her core, true personality - it was an aspect that surfaced when there were no inhibitions, but she also had history that showed courage and determination and other good things. Like everyone else, she was complex.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #4637
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
... It was sad to see. But I don't take that away as her core, true personality - it was an aspect that surfaced when there were no inhibitions, but she also had history that showed courage and determination and other good things. Like everyone else, she was complex.
My mum was mean to (and about) my brother, too, for no reason. You're right, though. That's not how she'd been (or felt) about him for most of her life.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #4638
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

No one has commented yet on just the simple fact of a parent growing old.

Even in "good" health, age does take it's toll and anger can be the reaction.
Giving up control of the simple things in life (no longer driving),
or having to go along with the reversal of parent:child over to child:parent is very hard.
Add the pain of some afflictions or the frustrations of loss of functions,
and even a young person can have a change in their overt personality.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #4639
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
How's the weather up your way?
Sorry, I missed this!

We had lots of rain which is pretty unusual for here, Limey and her west coast usually get it all, but I live on the side of a valley so it all runs right past me and is quite enjoyable to watch.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #4640
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

public restrooms

I travel a lot in the course of any day.

I use public restrooms all over the damn place.

Can't speak to the interior of ladies rooms, but guys won't flush the fucking toilet.

How damn hard is to flush after you piss (or drop a 12 pound log)?

"But, I don't wanna touch the handle!"

Fine...pick up your friggin' foot and flush with the toe of your shoe...wrap your hand in toilet paper...use your noggin (to think, not to flush) and figure it out.

Flush the toilet, you jackass.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #4641
infinite monkey

I think it's a form of exhibitionism.

Seriously, some kind of Freudian "look what I made!"

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #4642
henry quirk

exhibitionism

Mebbe.

Pathetic, if so.

Flush it!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #4643
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post

Can't speak to the interior of ladies rooms, but guys won't flush the fucking toilet.
As a representative of the ladies' room-using population, I can tell you it's exactly the same. Perfectly functioning toilets full of leavings. I've been to bathrooms where there was a line because there was only one stall in four being used because women are too terrified to flush the stuff down, sometimes even if it was theirs. Makes no sense.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #4644
henry quirk

"Makes no sense."

Agreed.

Flush it!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #4645
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

those goddam individualistic bears shitting where ever they like and just leaving it behind, blissfully independent, "not my problem anymore", blissfully ignorant of the increased load they leave for the rest of society to bear.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #4646
henry quirk

Insofar as I can tell: it ain't bears but communitarian-minded wolves leaving piss and shit behind...goddamned dogs with their absurd hierarchies, pack mentality, and yowlings at the moon.

Fleabags.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #4647
infinite monkey

I am so sick of muscle spasms near my shoulder blades. Usually they don't last 3 days...though I imagine there's a bit of bruising because it will be sore for a few days once the spasm subsides.

This one has been three days, with no subsiding. I'll turn, ever so slightly, the wrong way...and it clenches up and I have that sharp stabbing pain accompanied by the gasp that comes with sharp stabbing pain.

This might be the worst one yet. I can actually feel giant spots that are sore to the slightest touch...above where I believe the spasm to be. Of course, once one muscle spasms they all try to get in on the deal as they compensate for the mean old bad muscle.

Now, my right arm is numbish and tingly, and I am in pain from the bottom of my shoulder blade to the top of my neck.

I can't take off work; I guess I'll have to go to after hours clinic. Dammit.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #4648
monster
I hear them call the tide

Yoga time.......
Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #4649
infinite monkey

You're not the first person who has told me that.

I really need to get healthier.

You mentioned running a 10k. I want to. It would take me until Spring to be ready for something like that, probably. But if I say I'll do it here, in 'public' maybe I'll stick to it.

Maybe we could start a thread where I'll have to admit whether or not I did anything (like walking, running) that week and you called me out when I didn't, maybe I'd be embarrassed enough to follow through. Kind of like the foodblog idea.

I need to do something. I'm not getting any younger, and I need to find a better way to reduce stress.

edit: Vicious circle: when I get off work I don't want to do ANYTHING...often my brain is fried. I just want to go home. Even going home is stressful, with the crazy traffic. At minimum, barring errands and groceries, I'm gone 11 hours a day. This is my difficulty. Though I know it would be helpful if I did something I let myself make excuses because I feel so freaking tired. Stress. Must fix.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 10-08-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #4650
Griff
still says videotape

Pete has long been walking at work. Either at lunch or when others are on a smoke break. I talked her into yoga on her way home and that is helping as well. People who spend a lot of time on computers are going to be susceptible to all kinds of shoulder issues.

Tags
mild cheddar