The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 19th, 2015: Vegan's Savior

How do you know someone's a vegan? Just wait, they'll tell you. ba-dum-tss
It's funny because it's true, however once you get past the ones who are bandwagon jumpers and bragging, there's more to it. The rest are either the PETA camp whining about animal cruelty, or people who have actually read the evidence, and want to explain the many health benefits.

Since most people's eyes glaze over when anyone tells the about a healthier lifestyle, even(especially?) if it's their doctor, these folks usually throw in some be-good-to-the-Earth stuff to keep your attention. The fly (stop it) in their ointment is the difficulty, the work involved, in buying and preparing veggies to get enough protein.

Well, here she comes to save the day! Katharina Unger is on the way!

Quote:
Farm 432 enables people to become independent from the system of current meat production by growing their own protein source at home. After 432 hours, 1 gram of black soldier fly eggs turn into 2.4 kilogram of larvae protein, larvae that self-harvest and fall clean and ready to eat into a harvest bucket. Black soldier fly adults don´t eat, therefore they don´t have any mouth parts and do not transmit any disease. The larvae can be fed on bio waste, therefore the production almost costs no water or CO2. Black soldier fly larvae are one of the most efficient protein converters in insects, containing up to 42% of protein (dried), a lot of calcium and amino acids.
Yeah, the word larvae just rolls off the tongue in such a mouth watering fashion.

Now you know after this becomes the rage, the capitalists will jump in with both feet, trying to become your Black Soldier Fly Egg supplier. And don't forget items like Black Soldier Fly Larvae Helper.

Yes Rodney, we can all get along.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

um, how would that be vegan? I'm confused
Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well the chickens eat the larvae right up, and then you -- uh --
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

... trade the eggs for lettuce.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Maybe it saves vegans who fall off the bandwagon from going beyond the point of no return.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

are they considering that the larvae are freely giving themselves to be eaten? So they'd actually fit in with a fruitarian diet? Or are we just interpreting vegans as people who don't approve of the farming of cute animals who appear regularly in story books?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

It has more to do with the practical considerations of doing the greatest good for animals as a whole. Take a look at this article by a self described longtime vegan and vegan advocate:

Quote:
If Vegans Replaced Plants With Insects, They'd Harm Fewer Animals ...

... On the face of things, the question seems moot. Vegans don’t eat animals; insects are animals; vegans therefore don’t eat insects. End of story. But this simple little syllogism betrays the very real possibility that vegans, by virtue of their quest to reduce animal suffering, may not only be permitted to eat insects—they may be obligated to do so. ...
[READ THE ARTICLE FOR ARGUMENTS AND COUNTER-ARGUMENTS]

Quote:
... All that said, with the insect option now on the table the vegan equation has fundamentally changed. The choice is no longer between incidental or non-incidental deaths of obviously sentient creatures. It’s no longer between the mice crushed by a combine and the pig taken to the abattoir. Instead, it’s now between the intentional death of animals who likely suffer minimally or not at all (insects) and those that clearly do suffer (bunnies, deer, mice, etc.) when plants are grown.

As a longtime vegan and vegan advocate, I’m well aware how this argument threatens the vegan identity. Of course, it’s much easier to declare, “I don’t eat animals or animal products” than it is to blur the lines that serve as clear ethical commandments. But as the prospect of eating insects gains traction, vegans may be forced to acknowledge the inconvenient fact that including these critters in our diet—yes, eating animals—is an essential way to achieve the ultimate vegan goal of reducing the suffering of animals who we know can suffer.

Last edited by sexobon; 01-18-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: extraneous BB code
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dietary vegans, ovo-lacto vegetarians, ethical vegans, and environmental vegans, all eschew animal protein as in sweet yummy bacon.
The larvae will give them lots of protein without molesting animals, their common goal.
I don't even know what he hell a fruitarian is.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

The funny thing is I was going to design one of these things to automatically feed chickens. It is apparently pretty common in dirty hippie circles. Great design though if it wasn't bugs I'd eat what was produced in such a tidy way.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Seems reasonable. Most vegans seem to have a bug up their ass anyway.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
blueboy56
Master Locutor

If we aren't to eat meat, why then do we have incisors, canines (teeth) and premolars.

Eventually, we would only have molars and no front jaws.

Pardon me, we are omnivores, we have always been omnivores and I intend to stay that way.

So there.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How dare you question dog's wisdom...

Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy56 View Post
If we aren't to eat meat, why then do we have incisors, canines (teeth) and premolars.

Eventually, we would only have molars and no front jaws.

Pardon me, we are omnivores, we have always been omnivores and I intend to stay that way.

So there.
Horses, cattle, sheep, all have incisors, canines, and premolars. Their teeth are remarkably, astonishingly like ours. Incisors, canines, and premolars are used for cutting, tearing, and mashing (prior to grinding) ... of virtually any foodstuff, plants included.

We are obviously capable of being omnivores, but the question is not whether we can, but what we ought.

On that, the science is in.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

btw: Now reads as Vegans savor.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #15
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

As for the larvae ... bleeecccchhh.

Any vegan worth the name knows that it's impossible to be protein-deficient if you're taking in enough calories to meet your metabolic needs (roughly 700 kcal/day). Protein deficiency is called kwashiorkor. It really isn't an issue in the USA, particularly among those who are vegans by decision.