The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
busterb
NSABFD

Home repair

Still trying to get finished with repairs from Katrena and do other maintenance. Paint and so forth. On the front of my house, I have 3 doors, only one opens. The UV, rain and what ever over the last 50? years has caused a problem with the finish. I asked at home center here and have no good ideas.
Would like to place something over outside so I don't have to keep repairing it.
Maybe these photos will give someone an idea.
Edit on the way.

Last edited by busterb; 10-07-2006 at 08:41 PM.
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I know absolutely nothing about home repair ... but what about stripping and coating with polyurethane, assuming the wood is in reasonably good condition to start? That stuff is like magic.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You don't have a combination storm/screen door on the outside?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
You don't have a combination storm/screen door on the outside?
Yes, but sometimes it rains when I'm away from home and glass is up
Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You need an awning over the door...or better yet, a porch. Short of a steel or fiberglass door, it'll be a constant battle.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

A little entry way might be just the thing.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I know absolutely nothing about home repair ... but what about stripping and coating with polyurethane, assuming the wood is in reasonably good condition to start? That stuff is like magic.
I second Wolf on the knowing nothing about home repair AVOID polyurethane like the plague. It won't stand up to the moisture/heat cycling. Even spar varnish will eventually go and need refinishing.

The lower door just (just as though it was not a lot of work) needs to be brought to bare wood, sanded. Prime with benjamin moore fresh start OIL BASED primer. Don't put it on too thick. A little dab'll do ya. Then top coat with Ben Moore oil.

OR skip the paint and primer all together and finish with a semi transparent stain.

The top pic looks like the veneer on the door has gone bad. New door.

And a screen or sun shade will add years to the life of the door.

My south facing door is falling apart and the (latex) paint is shot after 4 years. The north facing door installed and painted at the same time looks brand new.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
busterb
NSABFD

The guy at store said maybe formica(sp) but couldn't say about glue to keep it on. The uv thing isn't too bad since I've not trimmed the camomilers?flowers? in years. They keep AM sun off house. He wanted to sell me new skins for doors. Hell then I'd be back at same old crap.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
You need an awning over the door...or better yet, a porch. Short of a steel or fiberglass door, it'll be a constant battle.
Bruce has cited a first necessary item. An exterior door should never be exposed directly to the weather. A storm door is a kludge attempt to accomplish same. Any home built responsibly will have a roofed overhang or that doorway recessed into the building. No better solution.

Second, wooden doors are just begging for problems. Wooden doors warp - especially when exposed to weather - and are poor insulators. Wooden doors that are less susceptible are also most expensive – selling to McMansion owners.

Original doors probably can be saved by removing them, burning off failing paint, power sanding, and applying a good primer and paint. Hinges must be so solid as to never more – ever. Oil base paints should be used due to weather of exposure and because no warping is acceptable for a door. Door must be the best sealed exterior building part.

Refinishing is a temporary solution due to existing damage. Best solution is to remove and replace the door with something intended to be structurally sound, provide better security, and will work under heavy traffic.

You need not implement all recommendations to achieve a useful solution.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The brownish-yellow door appears to be delaminating. That's gonna make repair damn near impossible.

In the absence of a storm door, an exposed wooden door would definitely need several nice, heavy coats of polyurethane, and that means quality prep. However, once suitably prepped and coated in poly, it would be damn near bulletproof. That stuff is amazing.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Buster B , Get your self some STEEL doors and door frames , Harder to kick in , and you can sand prime and paint with oil paint , ALL good
Old 10-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Polyurethane hates UV rays (sunlight) but diamond plate doesn't care.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
busterb
NSABFD

My house is on the move, has been for years. I had a porch and cut it off after leaks and rotten wood. Patrick That door is a hollow core, which should never been to out side. Think I can get a solid core for 20 bucks. Have to be trimmed ect.
Anyway I just had a brain fart. Maybe cedar siding? On 2 doors on side. Price might stop that. Ideas?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

a hollow core door can be filled with the sprayon insulation stuff. Drill at least two holes (large enough for the nozzle) the second one alllows the air to escape and be relaced by the foam insulation.

Then if you treat the door with polyurethane, be sure to put on multiple coats (6 or 7) and do all the edges. The edges are where a lot of the moisture exchange takes place.

edit: and use steel wool between coats for a really smooth finish.

Last edited by barefoot serpent; 10-11-2006 at 09:17 AM.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

timeout! that urethane-in-a-can needs to be used with extreme caution. make darn sure you have room for the expansion, and fill s-l-o-w-l-y, cause if you just firehose the stuff in there, and the second hole can't keep up with the exhaust, so to speak, the newly drying/expanding/becoming-tacky foam will grab where it touches, say, the inside of the door, and keep right on expanding. It can **easily** pop the skin off the frame of the door.

I have seen it explode the end of a kayak, wrapped in fiberglass. it *WILL* expand. Somewhere. Trust me.