The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Shooting Rekindles Issues of Gun Rights and Restrictions

Shooting Rekindles Issues of Gun Rights and Restrictions

This is an idiotic argument, guns are not allowed on campus. If there were armed people on campus he would have been shot and there would have been fewer dead.
A TRUE shame this was not the case.
If it had been harder to purchase guns he would have done what the Columbine kids did and just illegally purchased them... that whole "it's illegal" thing does not weigh heavily on a mass-murders conscience, ya' know.
I wonder if the people who make these kinds of arguments know how silly they sound?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

I am SO SICK of hearing people say that no one should be allowed to have a gun, especially when these people are able-bodied men. I know too many women who have been raped, stalked or assaulted to believe that a just government would just tell them "oh, go take a self-defense class."

I do believe on restrictions on gun ownership such as background checks, waiting periods, safety training, etc. And I don't believe civilians should be allowed to have crazy stuff like AKs. But every time somebody gets shot there's all this "OMG no one should have a gun!" and that rubs me the wrong way.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
rkzenrage

Why not AKs? I had one, it is not a very powerful weapon, what I own now is far more powerful.
Good beginner gun over-all though. What is your issue with em'?
The "men/women" language in your post concerns me.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by some dude named jsm on the internets
Many people will use this terrible tragedy as an excuse to put through a political agenda other than my own. This tawdry abuse of human suffering for political gain sickens me to the core of my being. Those people who have different political views from me ought to be ashamed of themselves for thinking of cheap partisan point-scoring at a time like this. In any case, what this tragedy really shows us is that, so far from putting into practice political views other than my own, it is precisely my political agenda which ought to be advanced.

Not only are my political views vindicated by this terrible tragedy, but also the status of my profession. Furthermore, it is only in the context of a national and international tragedy like this that we are reminded of the very special status of my hobby, and its particular claim to legislative protection. My religious and spiritual views also have much to teach us about the appropriate reaction to these truly terrible events.
I'm right and you're wrong.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Why not AKs? I had one, it is not a very powerful weapon, what I own now is far more powerful.
Good beginner gun over-all though. What is your issue with em'?
The "men/women" language in your post concerns me.
The "ugly gun" issue rises to the surface every time something like this happens. Typical. I have a few SKS's, they are fun to shoot. Events such as the shootings at VT just give the gun-grabbers foder to pedal their nonsense.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
The "ugly gun" issue rises to the surface every time something like this happens. Typical. I have a few SKS's, they are fun to shoot. Events such as the shootings at VT just give the gun-grabbers foder to pedal their nonsense.
People should not have guns because they are "fun," they should have them if and because they need them. I don't believe that anyone really needs a fully automatic rifle, who isn't fighting in a war.

And RK, why shouldn't I refer to men and women? This is a feminist issue. People I have argued about this with in the past have said that women being raped is preferable to the risk of shootings, and I believe that that is a concern for those of us who seek to eliminate/reduce sexual assault.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
People should not have guns because they are "fun," they should have them if and because they need them. I don't believe that anyone really needs a fully automatic rifle, who isn't fighting in a war.

And RK, why shouldn't I refer to men and women? This is a feminist issue. People I have argued about this with in the past have said that women being raped is preferable to the risk of shootings, and I believe that that is a concern for those of us who seek to eliminate/reduce sexual assault.
Well I would disagree with you on the first point, because shooting them is actually great fun and a fun hobby. There are many people who shoot just for the shear joy of it. I don't know if you are not familiar with the laws in the US about ownership of "fully automatic rifles", but it is a very difficult thing to do. Don't be fooled by the press or anyone else telling you that if you own an AK/AK variant/ or SKS implies that the rifle is fully automatic, because they are not. They are all semi-automatic. A huge difference.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'm right and you're wrong.
I didn't write the article, reduce the writer's IQ or social savvy.

What is wrong with shooting guns for fun?

This is in no way a feminist issue. Guns have no sex, anyone can pull a trigger at will for fun or self protection. We often forget that men need that just as much as women. I happen to be very close to a man who has been raped.
Self-defense is self-defense.

The class 3 permit really just takes patience, been thinking about it and going to Knob Creek.
If you are worried about an AK you really don't want to be near my next Christmas present, Barrett M468 assault rifle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIZpCLvXsoM

Last edited by rkzenrage; 04-18-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Well I would disagree with you on the first point, because shooting them is actually great fun and a fun hobby. There are many people who shoot just for the shear joy of it. I don't know if you are not familiar with the laws in the US about ownership of "fully automatic rifles", but it is a very difficult thing to do. Don't be fooled by the press or anyone else telling you that if you own an AK/AK variant/ or SKS implies that the rifle is fully automatic, because they are not. They are all semi-automatic. A huge difference.
I know. I have shot guns before, when visiting my fiance's family in Tennessee. His stepfather and uncle are hunters. It was a lot of fun, but I don't believe that the fun is worth the risk of accidents in most cases. I think that people should have guns, if they have them, for practical reasons (hunting and self-defense).
Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Cloud

I'd rather see it rekindle awareness of young people at risk.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
...This is an idiotic argument, guns are not allowed on campus...
Is it objectively "idiotic", or do you just disagree with it. Show your work.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
glatt

Quote:
I was joking, rephrasing what I had quoted from elsewhere on the internet.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:

What is wrong with shooting guns for fun?

This is in no way a feminist issue. Guns have no sex, anyone can pull a trigger at will for fun or self protection. We often forget that men need that just as much as women. I happen to be very close to a man who has been raped.
Self-defense is self-defense.

The full-auto permit really just takes patience, been thinking about it and going to Knob Creek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIZpCLvXsoM
Most feminists are also concerned with preventing sexual assaults against men. Feminism is not just about protecting women, it is about preventing sex and gender from being used to oppress people. When someone uses their sexual organs to perpetrate an assault on a defenseless person of any gender, that is against the philosophy of feminism.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
I know. I have shot guns before, when visiting my fiance's family in Tennessee. His stepfather and uncle are hunters. It was a lot of fun, but I don't believe that the fun is worth the risk of accidents in most cases. I think that people should have guns, if they have them, for practical reasons (hunting and self-defense).
So, you think it is your place to remove target shooting, the cross country skiing with shooting, trap and others from the Olympics and all other shooting sports from the world?
What an elitist.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
So, you think it is your place to remove target shooting, the cross country skiing with shooting, trap and others from the Olympics and all other shooting sports from the world?
What an elitist.
I don't understand how pointing out that something is dangerous makes me an elitist. I'm sure driving drunk is fun, too.

And of course it isn't "my place," I'm just saying on the internet that I think that's how it should be.