The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #1321
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Left Behind made it very clear that there was more to come, laid out the timetable for the tribulation, rise of the AntiChrist and all that. Entertaining, but not essential reading.
I really enjoyed the 12 book series, glad I read them all when I was able to go out and get the next right away instead of waiting a year or two to get the next installment. That drives me nuts.

I have not read the "prequel" or "epilogue" series.

I have read "The Truth Behind Left Behind" which is about the biblical passages and inspiration behind the events of the series.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by OnyxCougar; 01-06-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #1322
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Finally am absorbing The Lewis and Clark Journals via audiobook.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #1323
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson

(currently waiting for the Kindle to finish charging, did spend coffee and breakfast time this morning reading Armageddon Now - Dwight Wilson, which is the book I'm currently reading while sitting on the special chair in the small room)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #1324
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson
Excellent! I love the Baroque Cycle. I just reread Snow Crash, and it was just as enjoyable as the first time around, if not more.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 AM   #1325
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I'm reading A Fortunate Life at the recommendation of my Aussie sister-in-law. So far, I love it. Stark, simple writing; it lets the story tell itself without the weight of constant analysis and emotional baggage.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #1326
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

THE VIRGINIAN (UGH!) and MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING which, in all honesty, I'll prolly read the sparknotes. God bless the sparknotes.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #1327
Wickedly_Tasteful
What do you want? A cookie?

im currently reading the BTK Killer...its a great book
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #1328
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING which, in all honesty, I'll prolly read the sparknotes. God bless the sparknotes.
Admittedly, it is a bummer to read Shakespeare for a class ... I like to read it just for me best.

You could always rent one of the multitude of movie versions ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #1329
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
I'm reading A Fortunate Life at the recommendation of my Aussie sister-in-law. So far, I love it. Stark, simple writing; it lets the story tell itself without the weight of constant analysis and emotional baggage.
They made a movie out of that book. I went to school with the boy who played the teenage version of the man the story is about.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #1330
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

This week I read

QBQ - Question Behind the Question and now I'm reading "48 days to the work you love".
Old 01-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #1331
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
"48 days to the work you love"
Is that supposed to help you love the miserable pit you're currently working in, or is it a guide to help you find a new job or entrepreneurial enterprise?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #1332
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

It's to help you find something you love to do and find personally satisfying, but which you can make an adequate income doing. People generally excel at things they like doing. If you can find something you're passionate about, uses your natural skills and abilities, and you get paid to do it, you'll be very happy.

It's like the old saying goes, "Do something you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

For instance, there was a guy who really loved reading history books, but he didn't think it could turn into a job. Then he got a job reading books for books on tape.

I've secretly always wanted to do cartoon voiceovers and I do a lot of voices with my friends and family and they keep telling me to try it. I have connections now in the entertainment business, so I might try it as a side thing.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1333
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Radar...a good friend of mine is looking for a couple of American voice actors to do a little voice work for a game he and his group are making (as part of a university project). Mostly they've been able to get what they need from the campus, but they still need a couple more. If you fancy/have the time to help them out, give me a PM
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #1334
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

*Takes deep breath*

Michel Foucault - Security, Territory, Population: Lectures at the College De France, 1977-8
Various - The Political Thought of Carl Schmitt
Claire Colebrook - Critical Thinkers: Giles Deleuze
Michael C Williams - The Realist tradition and the Limits of International Relations
Neal Stephenson - Anathem
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #1335
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Murakami's "Kafka On the Shore."

Tags
books