The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: Is being gay morally wrong?
Yes 6 11.76%
No 42 82.35%
Depends 0 0%
Other 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #61
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Naw!

just judgin' phonies...I believe gay couples should have ALL the rights of opposite-sex.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #62
LJ
i am myself

yeah, i know....i'm just saying that i don't care if they're faking it.....actually....i kind of prefer it....
Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #63
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ View Post
my cock isn't all that judgemental. srsly
so . . . your cock doesn't care if its partner is male or female? :p

You go, boy!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #64
LJ
i am myself

it's just skin.......
Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #65
Shawnee123

I get that...it's all perspective.

(edit) I also can see that it turns guys on. It is sexy..no doubt. As a woman, I can see that it is, too. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't agree with playing games with who you are sexually to look cool, or whatever. I think it's offensive to those who are dealing with the real issues their sexuality (or any other aspect of themselves) and conflicts with what is "right" and "wrong" in society because it seems to me to be making light of something I would think those who are actually living it take very seriously.

But what do I know?

Last edited by Shawnee123; 12-20-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #66
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Well, it is more mainstream now, for women anyway. Look at the proliferation of girl on girl in things like Girls Gone Wild. If I were a lesbian, I would be offended by pretend lesbians who just think it makes them sexy, and gets them attention from males, so use the alternative lifestyle to raise a couple boners. How vapid.
I don't really think that GGW has much to do with the acceptance of homosexuality by mainstream America. GGW has to do with slick marketing to "every man's fantasy".
Old 12-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #67
Shawnee123

Wasn't talking about the output, talking about those who are "inputting."

Please do not take my simple observation and make it an essay on a much broader subject than it was intended to be. It is merely a different aspect, angle, a tangential observation.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #68
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

It all depends on the angle of the dangle - if ya know what I mean....
Old 12-20-2007, 05:37 PM   #69
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Wasn't talking about the output, talking about those who are "inputting."

Please do not take my simple observation and make it an essay on a much broader subject than it was intended to be. It is merely a different aspect, angle, a tangential observation.
I don't think I was putting words in your mouth. I don't think that the participation of the females on those vids has much to do with general acceptance by society of homosexual behavior, that was my point.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #70
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatl View Post
So it's okay for those seeking gay marriages to be completely out of luck in the meantime?
Its not okay but what else can you do?

From recent votes there has not been enough support to legalize same sex marriage for now but I am saying it will be there in 20-30 years so it isn't permanent. I strongly believe that gay marriages should be legal but the opposition is too strong to do anything about it right now.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #71
Ibby
erika

Quote:
It wasn't okay for Pol Pot to kill all the rich people, but what else can you do?

Obviously there was enough support for killing rich people then, but lucky for them that thirty years later its okay to be rich again, so it isnt permanent. I strongly believe that rich people deserve to live too, but the opposition back then was too strong to do anything about it then.

Quote:
It wasn't okay for america to take away all the black folks' rights and put up 'separate but equal' laws, but what else can you do?

From votes back then there just wasnt enough support for black people to have rights, but at least 20-30 years later they had rights so it wasnt permanent. I strongly believe in racial equality but the opposition was too strong to do anything about it then.

Do you really want your argument to sound like that, pierce?
Your argument is just 'wait it out'.
Justice, freedom, equality, civil rights... these things do not happen from just 'waiting it out'. Every person who fails to campaign for gay rights or any other kind of civil right is complicit in the deprivation of that right. If you actually strongly believed that gay marriage should be legal, you would go out and tell the homophobic bigots that they are wrong, and why. You would fight for equality and civil rights. You would do the right thing.

Right now, your strategy is doing nothing, and doing nothing is no better than doing the right thing.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:28 AM   #72
Kerotan
Half-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Its not okay but what else can you do?

From recent votes there has not been enough support to legalize same sex marriage for now but I am saying it will be there in 20-30 years so it isn't permanent. I strongly believe that gay marriages should be legal but the opposition is too strong to do anything about it right now.
So your waiting for people to become liberal?

Some would argue that is an extraordinarily long process.
If anything, I think that the world is becoming more nationalist, more conservative, if you take a look at recent elections around the world the right is winning more than the left.

Answers on a postcard please.
Kerotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #73
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I didn't read that Pierce was advocating any particular course of action. I thought he was remarking from a more historical perspective.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pierce was being realistic, maybe fatalistic, but as you mature you learn to pick your battles more carefully.

Getting all Don Quixote, especially about things that don't affect you, will do you, or the people you support, no good.
Restricting your activities to being honest about your views, is not akin to complicity.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #75
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Being gay might be morally wrong to some people, but not to me.

My morals think it's perfectly ok. If I were a prude perhaps, or staunch catholic etc, I might think it's morally wrong to be gay.

With regard to the question posed earlier, "do your morals change according to who you're with", I think that's an interesting question.

There is no doubt that our sense of propriety stops us from behaving the same way in front of our 80yr old granny than we might when we're out with friends at the pub. Does that mean our morals change or that we simply prop our morals up because we don't want to offend granny?