The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
Hunchback
Bonsai

Question Need help with choosing a new laptop

Me and my wife are planning on buying 2 new laptops. We need them for work, not mobile gaming and shit, so size, battery life, heat and sound are priory concerns, rather then video. We've decided to go for 15'', since it's big enough to actually see shit, and small enough to remain portable. We want to get something with i3 or i5, so that it won't get heavy outdated in 1 year. The question is, of course - what to get?

So far we have a few picks, but it's been over 5 years since i last checked the laptop market, so i am not sure. Here goes the list so far, with prices (not set in stone, we can get slightly cheaper on the net, etc).

The primary candidate so far is Dell Inspiron R15 - The i3 version with 500gb HDD. Here, it costs about 600 euro. It seemed nicely built, the configuration is decent. The price is a tad lower since it comes with integrated video and i3. (Amanda shouldn't comment on this one :P )

The other i3 choice is the HP Pavilion DV6-3065sf - Basically the same as the Dell, only with a dedicated Ati Video (512mb dedicated). And it's an HP. Best price so far is 685 euro.

Then comes the i5 ones:

Toshiba L650-10g – This one seems to be the best price/components choice – i5 cpu, ati dedicated video, the rest is the same as the previous, more or less. The best price so far is 700 euro. I’d pick that one, if it wasn’t that a few people told me Toshiba are building very good portables but they build tons of heat, enough to actually shutdown and lock the pc at times, and as a result you also have the cooling turning at max power all the time. I am not sure if this is the case with new models though, so I’d really appreciate some up-to-date information.

Next, is a EASYNOTE TM98-JO-399FR (ain’t got a site on English so I will just paste the specs) – Intel Core i5-430M, cadencé à 2,26 GHz 3mb cache, 4gb ddr3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 320M, avec 1024 Mb, 500mb hdd, hdmi exit. I got a SICK offer on this one, but it only lasts a day more (flash sell stuff) – 600 euro (it normally costs 700). The only problem is – I have absolutely no idea if Packard Bell pcs are any good. Never ever heard anything about them. Highly interesting.

Next, HP Pavilion DV6-3075sf – The big brother of the 3065, comes with i5 but a slower hdd. No other difference. Best price so far – 800 euro. It seems vastly overpriced for simply a i5.

That’s it for now, now gotta chose. I am open for propositions of course...
Old 08-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Sorry, no suggestions here, but I'm in the market for the same sort of thing so will watch this thread with interest ...
Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Can't answer for Packard Bell laptops; but I had one of their desktops years ago and I still reckon it's the best machine I ever had.

Currently my laptop is an Acer brand machine. Real bargain. Got it for £350 at PCWorld.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My plan is to get the one that looks coolest under $500.

I just had a Dell die after many years of faithful use. I like the Dell. I never liked HP computers, even back in the mainframe days. I can neer remember, though, how they're supposed to be for laptops. I kind of remember hearing negatives about them, but really can't say for sure.

I have a Sony VAIO desktop that has been great, I've been thinking about their laptops, but they're a bit more expensive than most of the others.

I'm trying not to make an impulse purchase of a new laptop. I'm muddling along with the (Dell) netbook for now.

My most important feature may end up being battery life.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Hunchback
Bonsai

Lol, this is getting frustrating.

Most people i ask say that HP Pavilions are the best on the market nowadays, and that Dell have gone deepshit, with terrible battery life and stuff. o.O

Last edited by Hunchback; 08-22-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
GunMaster357
Professor

I too am in the process of choosing a new laptop since my old one is declining very quickly.

I think the next one will be something like this one: Samsung R780 E7P-C5430

I can get it at 699 EUR instead of 819 EUR. I hope the company will be willing to pay for it.