The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Cementing Basement Walls

I won't get into too much detail right now but I am curious if anyone here knows much about cementing over basement walls. My roommate last year used water soluble paint to decorate our ironically slightly used basement and our landlord told us to get rid of it so they could show the basement off to future tenants.

So apparently the paint does not come off with water, soap, or paint remover. The paint remover got rid of it a little bit but it made the walls look so much worse so we decided not to go that route. So we decided to paint over the paint as a temporary but hopefully permanent solution.

So now our landlord wants to cement over the basement, most likely on our dime. We have been talking to a lawyer, he has been trying to screw us over in other areas as well, but I want to get as many different opinions as possible about this.

If our basement does get cemented over, I want to make the argument of wear and tear so we do not have to pay for it. I have two pictures of the painted over walls and two pictures of walls that are showing wear. I think that is a strong enough argument but outside opinions would be very nice.

Sorry for the bad quality pictures. blah

Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
glatt

The wall in the top two pictures looks like crap, and if I was the landlord, I'd be upset.

It looks like you painted graffiti on the wall and then tried to paint over just the graffiti and/or strip just the graffiti. Did you paint over the entire wall to try to make it one uniform color?

The wall in the bottom two pictures looks bad too, but it looks like random moldy spots and doesn't seem quite as bad.

Did you paint the entire wall?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, I don't understand what's going on in the pictures there either. Is that what you painted it to look like? Or what it looks like after you tried to strip some of it off with paint remover?

You can't paint someone else's house, dude. If you did that to my basement, I'd be making you pay to fix it too.

Edit to add: Regardless of how it got that way, I think a far better solution than cementing over it is to just give it a new uniform coat of paint. Get an outdoor paint (the kind meant for cement/industrial floors) in a shade of cement gray, and do it right.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

it's called parging.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Yeah if a couple of coats of paint won't cover it or your landlord doesn't want the look of painted concrete on his walls, then you parge it. Buy a couple of bags of surface bonding cement, add some acrylic additive, mix it well and start troweling. Use a 4" x 16" trowel. Or hire someone to do it so you don't fuck up his walls even worse.

If the problem is that old paint is bleeding through your new painted topcoat, you need to seal it first with B.I.N. Stir the BIN really well or you'll have problems. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER BRAND OF "Stain Sealing" PAINT. THEY DO NOT WORK. Tell the asshole at home depot who tries to tell you otherwise that Squirell Nutkin told him to go buttfuck himself in the mouth.

After you put the BIN on you can topcoat it with any decent paint. Use an epoxy fortified paint, otherwise if there is any dampness, latex won't dry. Try this before you start parging.

Don't be painting on peoples houses dude, WTF?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It looks like you painted graffiti on the wall and then tried to paint over just the graffiti and/or strip just the graffiti.
First of all, we realize it was a mistake. The only reason the graffiti paint was applied is because it was water soluble and we successfully washed if off when we test it out. It was obviously a very stupid mistake and we take responsibility for it and are trying to find the most reasonable solution to fix it.

So yes, all we did at this point was cover the graffiti. It was an initial first step to cover it up. I emailed him last week telling him what we did and that he should come over so we can discuss what steps we should take next, if any. If he wants us to paint the entire basement, we would paint the entire basement. If he wants us to parge the walls, we would. He has not taken up the response. Our latest water bill had four months that we already paid attached to it so I have a very strong feeling he is going to try to fuck us and not work with us to fix this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Edit to add: Regardless of how it got that way, I think a far better solution than cementing over it is to just give it a new uniform coat of paint. Get an outdoor paint (the kind meant for cement/industrial floors) in a shade of cement gray, and do it right.
He said we had to cement it over unfortunately. I was hoping we could just paint the entire basement, we have helped painted a friend's apartment before with very good results, but apparently not.

As I said, I don't know anything about this so I'm trying to gain as much information about it as possible right now.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
It was obviously a very stupid mistake and we take responsibility for it and are trying to find the most reasonable solution to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
I want to make the argument of wear and tear so we do not have to pay for it.
That's not taking responsibility. He has every right not to accept a paint job by you and your friends -I wouldn't trust you either.

The water bill is a different issue. if it's in your names, you should have paid it directly. If it's in his name, it's his problem, presumably you have recept/proof of all monies paid to him so it should be pretty easy to demonstrate his "oversight" in this matter.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Why can't you just use a cement colored paint, like gray, or something used on garage floors and repaint the whole thing. Re-cementing is a stupid and costly way to cover up paint on a cement wall. Resist.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

If there is water seeping in or the wall is moist nothing is going to fix that until that issue is dealt with.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Maybe they could blow it with hot air?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Flint
Snowflake

The Cask of Amontillado? I'm just sayin' is all...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nobody mentioned seepage or wetness, just water-soluble.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
The Cask of Amontillado? I'm just sayin' is all...
Yes, that would be unfortunato, indeed.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I know UT - I was asking if that was an issue.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
dmg1969
I got nothing

pierce...I won't point out the fact that you shouldn't have painted the walls since others have. In the future, assuming this was for photography purposes, use painted 4x8 plywood sheets as a background. I digress.

I think the issue at hand is that we are dealing with paint. I can't see how he can push for having the whole basement cemented. There has to be a way to fix the problem to everyone's satisfaction without having to re-cement the basement. Make no mistake, it is up to you to make it right.

I would recommend having an estimate from at least 2 or 3 PROFESSIONAL painters. Get their opinions and estimates and take them to the landlord. Tell them the plan to get the property back to a satisfactory condition and tell him that YOU and your roommate(s) are the ones paying.

Finally, follow through with it.