The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sept 22nd, 2016: Fast Woman

This is a bicycle...

This is American cyclist Denise Mueller setting a new woman's bicycle land speed record of 147 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

That's a very fast woman. Next she's going after the men's speed record of 167mph.

Quote:
As you might imagine, the bicycle itself was also heavily modified for the world record attempt. The elongated frame, vibration-dampening seatpost, suspension fork, and custom 17-inch motorcycle wheels with bald tires help to lower Mueller's center of gravity for added stability and keep the ride relatively smooth even as she pushes 150 mph. In these land speed runs, it is critical that the cyclist stay within the draft zone of the pace car.

Bike gearing is often measured in gear inches—a measurement that takes the gear ratio of the drive train and multiplies it by the diameter of the rear wheel. With a standard 26-inch bicycle wheel, for example, a front chain ring with 48 teeth and a rear cog with 24 teeth would give the bike a gear ratio of 2:1, and therefore the setup has 52 gear inches—two times the diameter of the drive wheel. A very high gearing on a road bike will have about 125 gear inches. Mueller's custom bike has 488 gear inches, allowing her to accelerate by pedaling at about 102 RPM when she is already going more than 100 mph.
link
Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
captainhook455
Rapscallion

That is 47 mph faster than I have ever ridden on my Harley.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:07 AM   #4
SPUCK
Professor

Seems kind of rinky dink to operate in a vehicle's draft. How about runners running in a vehicle draft or swimmers in a boat wake, etc., etc. Why not start modding the draft vehicles to provide more and more of the energy. Carry it to the point of the draft vehicle actually causing forward wind..

Just saying I'd be way more impressed if someone on a bike hit 50mph on flat pavement without a vehicle.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
That is 47 mph faster than I have ever ridden on my Harley.

tarheel
I made 140 on a Suzuki 550 LTD just to see if it would do what the speedo registered. Once.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote