The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #16
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
"I got nailed in...[insert location]"

I bet it'd sell!
Now that's funny.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Flint
Snowflake

I chuckled at that, too.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
~snip~
Lookout: Agree with you too. It's like something you'd find in a cheesy souvenir shop, with the tourist trap's name screenprinted on the cross.

"I got nailed in...[insert location]"

I bet it'd sell!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
Now that's funny.
The only thing I would add is "and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I don't care about the blashemy angle here, but i do have a problem with this being considered art. come on, at some point we need to step up and say, "no this stupid half assed attempt at wit is not art, now go get a fucking job and quit applying for grants!"
Completely agree. That "Piss Christ" thing wasn't offensive to me in a religious way (hey, I can't think of anything that is) but putting a plastic crucifixion in a cup of urine, taking a pic and calling it ART?

but, just so you know where I'm coming from, I didn't think Duchamp's Fountain was art OR Tracey Emin's My Bed. Used tampons on a mattress doesn't really do it for me. Though, I have liked some of the other things she's done...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #20
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

I've got to agree that something should be done about crap being called art. Red Green said it best. "If I can do it, it's not art."
Old 08-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #21
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Whether or not you can do it, is less relevant than whether or not you would have thought of it.

It doesn't do anything for me. Nor did the Piss Christ. But...sometimes art is a rebellion against its own conventions. Can you think of anything more diametrically opposed to renaissance religious art than this Frog, or Piss Christ? Though Piss Christ is certainly a striking image and carries with it a sense of weight because of the ground it treads upon.

Not my cup of tea, but I would be uncomfortable about saying it isn't art when I do not know enough about the artist's intentions.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #22
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Completely agree. That "Piss Christ" thing wasn't offensive to me in a religious way (hey, I can't think of anything that is) but putting a plastic crucifixion in a cup of urine, taking a pic and calling it ART?

but, just so you know where I'm coming from, I didn't think Duchamp's Fountain was art OR Tracey Emin's My Bed. Used tampons on a mattress doesn't really do it for me. Though, I have liked some of the other things she's done...
oh you did NOT just go there.
do NOT diss duchamp.
i love dada. dada is unquestionably art... or, rather, anti-art.

there is a line somewhere about what is and isn't art... but dada is on the art side of that line.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #23
DanaC

I have no idea whatthe artist intended but for all I know he could have been commenting on the deification of popular culture and self-gratification.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Dada...I don' like it.

I'm allowed to not like things.

And as far as the artist's intention...well, Piss Christ I certainly DO recall, so if the artists intention was to disturb, he did disturb and disgust me (for I don't swallow every artists...um...bullshit about what they did when they got high and "created" something) Some of it is scam, don't you think? I also recall Guernica----it's very disturbing but to mine eyes, it's truly art.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #25
DanaC

Quote:
Some of it is scam, don't you think?
I daresay. I'm not versed enough in art to truly know:P I know what I like.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Not to get too off the subject, Ibram, but did you ever read The Purloined Poe? with Lacan and Derrida, a "psychoanalytic reading."

well, that book reminds me of dada art. It's like, WTF? Perhaps I am too provincial to "get" it---but I knows what I likes and I don't like hocus pocus parading as art. If I get a sink, throw it on a table and call it art, is it art?

—James Barrie

Old 08-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #27
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
I'm not really sure what blasphemous means, and I'm not about to go looking it up, just in case they're watching me.
Dont worry, that whole concept of blasphemy is sooo out. The Vat would've stood a better chance if they'd registered the crucifiction racket and sued for copyright infringement. :p
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #28
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
If I get a sink, throw it on a table and call it art, is it art?
It depends on what you were thinking when you did it.

Certainly, bonus points if you manage to communicate that thought to the viewer, but if they don't "get it" it's probably their fault.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:35 AM   #29
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

The problem for me with this piece is that it's...clumsy. I can see what the parts are supposed to say--you have the frog splayed out like a biology specimen, all victim-like; egg is on the one hand like life or food, beer is on the other like pleasure or vice, crucifix is FU to religion and/or signifies torture...but it lacks cohesiveness. And a sense of elegance, which successful art has. It's just bad art.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #30
Karenv
Slacker

I agree with the cheesy frog not being art.

My mom was an artist and always took me to modern art exhibitions- remember funk art? But when I was 16 I came to NYC by myself and was in the Museum of Modern Art looking at painted I-beams when I decided that less was less and it wasn't art anyway. Went off to look at the Monets and Picasso's Guernica instead, because that was art.
Karenv is offline   Reply With Quote