casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Oh but Aussies have such good taste!
That's made me even happier...

Better get baking some goodbye cakes
Are we allowed to mention cake again?

Yesterday, I walked out the front gate of where I'm staying (in Jakarta) and saw a person on a motorcycle wearing the aforementioned "I love SG" t-shirt. I was all set to (and in fact was in the process of) taking my camera out of my bag to grab a photo when the mini-traffic jam finished and he got away before I could record the moment. Bugger!
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 AM   #6392
casimendocina
Professor

SG, Need any help to stop what you've just created going off?
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #6393
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yes Casi - now that I have successfully transported some more goodies to school, I have put the smooshed-cake-experience behind me. The cake pops were much admired, even after people had eaten them (to me they look better than they taste) so I judge them a success and am very happy.

Would it be too weird to make myself an I love SG t-shirt?
For days when I'm not feeling it as Cherry?
Yes. I think it would.

But it you manage to get a picture I am going to print it out and put it on my door

Got a gift and card from the children in Class 2.
Not from Class 2a because I only work with them when their teacher is away, so I've never really worked with her.
But all 60 said goodbye and that they'd miss me and thanks for the chocs (got a treat size collection bag).
And some of my children I really connected to with came up for hugs and personal goodbyes.

Got my work schedule as well - 09.00 - 12.00 every day, then 12.30-13.30.
My code name for the boy I will be working with is Tiger. On here I mean. Because he has an orange coat
Going to read up on autism over the weekend - his statement focuses on social and behavioural issues, but apparently the autism symptoms are quite clear to those in the know. Walking on tiptoes for example?

Of course I know we have an expert here who can help me.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #6394
monster
I hear them call the tide

So is Tiger at a different school? Will you not see clasess 2 and 2a again?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #6395
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No, he's at the same school - I will see them. But I had the same heartfelt goodbyes last July from the first class I worked with. I mean I will miss some of the characters too, but I don't quite have the drama of a 6-7 year old

The card and gift were arranged by the teacher and TA as an acknowledgement that I have given up my free time and worked unpaid. I'd have been there every day if it hadn't been for the conditions of my benefits, I can honestly say it was my pleasure.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #6396
SamIam

As I have posted about before, I have been without a car for almost 2 years now when my incredibly worthless, very ex-boyfriend decided to get drunk to the gills and take my car for a spin. He ended up spinning it completely off the road and crashing it beyond repair. I have been unable to afford another car and have been bumming rides off friends every since.

Well!

Saturday I got a letter in the mail from my bank about the interest my IRA earned in 2010. Huh? I don't have an IRA. But actually I really do. It has been sitting forlornly from 1985 to now, collecting interest and completely forgotten by me.

The bank never had my correct address until a couple of months ago when I opened up a small savings account there. I and the IRA have now been re-united, and it will give me the money I need to buy myself a car. I won't have to depend on some squirelly friend from the past to pay me back the money he owes. I can just go out and buy the vehicle I need without the help of anyone else.

YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY!

SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #6397
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My uncle has been struggling with increasingly worse Parkinson's, to the point that he is almost unable to feed himself. An old roommate of his has moved back in with him, which does benefit both of them, but moreso my uncle, and we are all grateful.

But it turns out this roommate has done much more. He saw some TV program about a treatment for Parkinson's that is being done in Germany and a few other places in Europe, but is not approved yet here. It is a targeted brain surgery where they cut a few specific connections (between the hemipheres? I don't know,) and in 70% of patients the Parkinson's symptoms are instantly gone, never to return. The other 30% see no change, for better or worse.

The roommate was hard at work figuring out the costs to take my uncle to Europe to get the procedure done (his latest figure was a mere $12,000, which seems just ridiculously low to me, but apparently even tourists get government-covered healthcare over there) when it was brought to his attention that there is an experiemental study going on right now, in Houston, attempting to get the procedure approved in the US. He jumped on it, again taking care of everything, and now my uncle has a screening appointment this Thursday. They say it is very likely he will qualify, as they are primarily looking for youngish people with severe symptoms who are otherwise in good health, so they can continue to monitor them for the next 5-10 years looking for adverse effects of the surgery.

The idea that this might suddenly disappear from my uncle's life is sort of mind-boggling. We're very hopeful.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #6398
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Oh my - that is SO great to hear. I hope all works out well for him.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #6399
monster
I hear them call the tide

Excellent news Sam and Uncle Clod

The boys just came home from Hector's hockey game and I learned he got a shutout with a gazillion shots on him I'm sorry I missed it, though (at a swim meet with Hebe)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #6400
Griff
still says videotape

Very cool Clod!

...and congrats to the boy, monster.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #6401
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Dear Clodfobble,

Please do keep us informed as to the progress of your uncle's exciting adventure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Yours,
Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #6402
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sam that is the sort of amazing thing that happens to me sometimes.
To the extent one of my cow orkers used to believe money just fell in my lap when I needed it. Of course it didn't - she forgot to take into account the times I literally had to ask strangers for money to use the toilet (20p in railways stations then - up to 40p now!)

Clod - wow, that sounds like a big step. Then again I assume it's early onset? Grandad has Parkinsons but he's 89 next week. No surgery for him. In fact he is going downhill fast. He has long periods of confusion now, calling up Mum at 06.30 thinking it is 18.30 and he hasn't had any tea. His Dr is trying to ascribe it to changes in medication, Mum thinks it's the beginning of the end. She is contacting nursing homes. I think she's right to do so.

Sorry, this is the happy thread. Good luck to your Uncle, Clod. Fantastic news, Sam.

And tomorrow I have my first real day with the cub.
Plan is Animal Snap to start the session. Then a worksheet (from the Speech Therapist). I found out on Thursday that he only started speaking when he was four. Then the either/or game to finish. And I sit on the carpet with him for group activities to keep him focussed. I also bought a little game called Nano, wich is a keyring version of the old Simon game. I might not use it, but I thought the lights and the need to follow a pattern might appeal to him.

I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Oh - Clod - check out my thread in Cities and Travel. You did respond regarding the recent posts about Joel Osteen, but a couple of posts back I was asking for Houston advice. Anything you can suggest would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-13-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #6403
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ok hai! wait what? houston? joel osteen? been less than 10 feet from the man and his wife at a restaurant back when my mom was alive. he was the next table over. good man. means well.

my houston advice is this:
houston museum of natural science
houston zoo which is a walk away from the museums
and for great entertainment (even though i'm a metal head i still appreciate culture) the houston ballet
but i do prefer the houston orchestra
now if you want more lemme know. i can turn you onto the bar band scene as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #6404
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Attached Images

bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #6405
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Oh - Clod - check out my thread in Cities and Travel. You did respond regarding the recent posts about Joel Osteen, but a couple of posts back I was asking for Houston advice. Anything you can suggest would be much appreciated.
I saw it, but sadly, I'm not at all familiar with entertainment/touristy options in the city. I drive there every other weekend, but then I turn right around and drive back. I think the museums are supposed to be good, but I couldn't even tell you what they are.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote