The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 27th, 2016: Infiorata Festival

The Infiorata festival in Italy during May and June, especially on, Corpus Domini, many towns gussy up the
streets with flower petals. Of course I'm used to people strewing flower petals where I walk, but to most
tourists it's like nothing they've ever see.
Quote:
To create the flower carpets, the design is first sketched in chalk on the pavement, and then filled in
with thousands of petals of various colors. Sometimes soil is used to highlight the outline of the design.
At other times, wood carvings is used along with flowers. The entire process takes two or three days to
complete. Often a religious procession takes place on the flower carpets after there are completed.

Quote:
Although the practice of honoring divinities and illustrious personages, such as emperors and warriors, by
throwing flowers or creating flower compositions is ancient and dateless, the art of creating flower mosaics
on the streets is believed to have started in Rome in 1625, when Benedetto Drei and his son Peter, used
flower petals to decorate the Vatican Basilica on the day of Saints Peter and Paul's feast, the patron
saints of Rome. Later, baroque artist and architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680) spread this flower art
throughout Rome, using it for the baroque festivals he organized. The custom disappeared out of Rome in
the seventeenth century, but the Castelli Romani townspeople continued to keep the traditions alive.
In 1778, this tradition became part of the Christian celebration of Corpus Domini in the town of Genzano
where a brightly colored flower carpet was laid down in the center of a long street. Eventually, various
towns of Italy began celebrating Corpus Domini by creating flower carpets.

Go ahead and jaywalk, Punk, make my day.

link
Old 05-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Snakeadelic
Banned

...Am I the only one really, really hoping they figured out some way to deal with the possibility of windy days?

Gorgeousness regardless!

I'll be AFK with my early-morning commentary over the weekend. For the first time in like 8 years, my sweetie and I are both going to MisCon. It's just been him since like 2010, and last time I went it had been a couple of years since he'd tried it. Wish us luck!

Last edited by Snakeadelic; 05-27-2016 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Forgot some words...I'd lose my backside if it wasn't in my pants.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have fun, travel safe, and check your pants frequently.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
...Am I the only one really, really hoping they figured out some way to deal with the possibility of windy days?
Maybe it's like a sand mandala those monks make, meant to be ephemeral.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm wondering how long it takes for those petals to shrivel up and turn color?