The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Groooaaan.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #32
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  Look_At_Me_Now.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  40.1 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #34
Snakeadelic
Banned

Crows are not only intelligent but highly trainable and communicative. Studies have shown that they can recognize individual human faces (including with disguises applied) and teach their offspring which of us bald pink monkeys to avoid. My own personal studies support this .

I have some fun little twitches thanks to mild OCD related to severe anxiety, and one such peeve is loud, unmelodic, erratic noises; I lack the brain circuitry to "just ignore it". I'm sure y'all can imagine what trying to sleep was like as a kid when my mom always managed to land us in a neighborhood where at least one dog would bark ALL <unladylike word here> NIGHT. Fast-forward to about five years back when a 2-story-high streetlight was installed directly across the street from my computer room window.

The local crows would, of course, fight over who got to perch on it because the 20-ish even taller ones are a whole half a block away at the high school. It took almost no time whatsoever for me to get super-sick of 'KAAAAAW KAAAAAAW KAAAAAAW' for hours on end. I knew a secret, however--crows really loathe being stared at intently. It took two years of piling down my front steps with camera in hand every time they landed on said streetlight, but for the last two or three years there have been no more than 3 attempts to land on that light per spring and fall and none in winter and high summer. Now all I have to do is let them see the range-finding light on the front of my camera blink on and they're gone.

The ravens we have around here are quite a different bird altogether and very rarely even fly close by, much less land unless it's midwinter and they're really hungry.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #35
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

I've read that ever since Audubon did his original drawings of the bald eagle,
we have interpreted the eagle's expression in a humanistic way.

That "expression" seems especially appropriate in this pic, given the situation (if it's not photoshopped)
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good point, to me they always look like a pissed off spinster schoolmarm, no matter what they're doing. Of course that's my impression of their mood, and has no bearing on reality. When they're used in an ad, a cartoon, or as a symbol, they're portrayed as wise, strong, proud, angry, all with the same inscrutable face. Never as happy, or even neutral.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #37
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Snake, I used to feed the crows in the park when I was in rehab.
After two months it got so there were none as I sat down, but when I got the nuts from my bag there were already three or four. It helped that I was always sat in the same place at the same time of course, but without being sentimental (at all) they did know me. As a source of food I mean, but that'll do when you're feeling isolated.

The pigeons in my local park don't have the same recognition - they behave more like football hooligans. But I'd like to think there is some recognition, as I've never seen anyone else able to hand feed them, let alone having them alight on their shoulders or lap. My schedule is more varied there, as is my location, but I always hold still, move slowly and feed the same food. Birds recognise patterns.

I thought the goose was especially trusting of me, but I've seen her come out of the water for cheap bread before. The little tart.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Crows recognize faces, they just couldn't figure out why your watch was fast.
But seriously folks, Crows are more cautious than the pigeon hooligans.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #39
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  mynas.JPG
Views: 548
Size:  35.4 KB

Link

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #40
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Mile High Club?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #41
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
The birds ... were in flight at an angle where one appeared to be hitching a ride with the other...

Old 05-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #42
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Move along folks, nothing to see here...just a goose-on-a-moose...

Name:  gooseonamoose.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  77.3 KB

Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #43
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

notagoose
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #44
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Move along folks, nothing to see here...just a notagoose-on-a-moose...
There, I fixed it.

I knew someone would call me on that.