The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Ever look at the people's stuff in line in front of you, and say, holy shit I could never eat like they do. I would be miserable at their house.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #32
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

I've had the experience of looking at the person's stuff in front of me and thinking "Hmm, I bet that person is single."
Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #33
squirell nutkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
After seeing that Time Magazine article, thought I'd do the same with my shopping to see exactly how big the percentage of chocolate/bad stuff is. I don't eat at home a lot as for one reason or another, at the moment, I rarely leave work before 8 p.m.

With this shop I made a conscious effort to not buy too much crap. The bright green things in the right hand corner are the Indonesian equivalent of caramel balls (so I'm told). I'm also still getting my head around the non-Western ingredients...I'm not a great experimenter in the kitchen so tend to stick to what I know.
Looking at your groceries for the week I am really surprised at how much of what you have is available in my local grocery. Although I've not seen the pesto Genovese (one of my faves) by Barilla, I also haven't looked for it.

It would be sort of tough for us to do that since we are always "filling in" gaps in the larder with trips to the co-op or corner store.

I'll go photograph the pantry.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
I've had the experience of looking at the person's stuff in front of me and thinking "Hmm, I bet that person is single."

Yeah, that's me. Cat food, can o' soup, diet coke, cigarettes, little bottle of shampoo from the travel size rack...

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #35
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Ever look at the people's stuff in line in front of you, and say, holy shit I could never eat like they do. I would be miserable at their house.
It was the tofu packet in the middle of the shot that did that, wasn't it?

After I'd finished taking the pic, I realised I'd left out a couple of things (i.e. cous cous)...Like SN, I'm always topping up as well with regular trips to the supermarket to buy one or two items and usually it's only breakfast and the very occasional lunch/dinner that I eat at home. The rest of the time I'm out so it's only worth buying small portions coz otherwise it goes off before I can eat it (or the ubiquitous ants get to it). BTW, the individual packet of cocoa pops is to ensure some measure of self-control. If I bought a large packet, it would disappear in about a day.

Initially, I was really surprised at how much food from home (and the rest of the world-i.e. the butter toffees are from Argentina WTF???) is readily available here. I did read that there are 100, 000+ expats in Jakarta so there's a big market for non-local foods.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #36
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post

Yeah, that's me. Cat food, can o' soup, diet coke, cigarettes, little bottle of shampoo from the travel size rack...

Being single...it's all of that... and and and depending on the day....just relishing the thought as I type that no-one tells me how I should slice tomatoes.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #37
squirell nutkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post

Nope, not you.

cf:
Quote:
I was shopping at the local supermarket where I selected:
A half-gallon of 2% milk
A carton of eggs
A quart of orange juice
A head of romaine lettuce
A 2 lb. can of coffee
A 1 lb. package of bacon
As I was unloading my items on the conveyor belt to check out, a drunk standing behind me watched as I placed the items in front of the cashier.
While the cashier was ringing up the purchases, the drunk calmly stated, “You must be single.” I was a bit startled by this proclamation, but I was intrigued by the derelict’s intuition, since I
was indeed single. I looked at the six items on the belt and saw nothing particularly unusual about my selections that could have tipped off the drunk to my marital status.
Curiosity getting the better of me, I said: “Well, you know what, you’re absolutely right. But how on earth did you know that?”
The drunk replied, “Cause you’re ugly.”
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #38
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Butter chicken!
I love that!

My Pakistani/ Indian friends used to make it when we had celebration meals at work. I don't know what the packet mix is like, but their version was hot!

It always mildly amused me - all the dishes were labelled and every time someone picked the most innocuous soundind dish because they weren't too keen on "foreign food". Snicker.

ETA - that's really mean of me. I shouldn't have written it to sound as if the person deserved it. Generally they didn't - they simply did not enjoy spicy food. It was still funny though. In the same way seeing someone drop their shopping on the bus is funny. Especially when the oranges or potatoes go rolling around and everyone is trying to catch them.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #39
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Butter chicken!
I love that!

My Pakistani/ Indian friends used to make it when we had celebration meals at work. I don't know what the packet mix is like, but their version was hot!

It always mildly amused me - all the dishes were labelled and every time someone picked the most innocuous soundind dish because they weren't too keen on "foreign food". Snicker.

ETA - that's really mean of me. I shouldn't have written it to sound as if the person deserved it. Generally they didn't - they simply did not enjoy spicy food. It was still funny though. In the same way seeing someone drop their shopping on the bus is funny. Especially when the oranges or potatoes go rolling around and everyone is trying to catch them.
I love butter chicken too. I've found that one needs to be careful with the sauce one chooses (and I may have posted this somewhere previously)...Patak is DIRE. I once made up a lot of my version of butter chicken (which I normally love) with this brand and basically had to get rid of the lot because the sauce was so foul. Sherwood brand isn't bad, but the Curry Makers one is the best in my opinion.

Not sure if I've told this story previously either, but it's on topic, so here it is. Sibling and wife had Indian food at their wedding. I think the labels on a couple of the dishes must have got switched (it was a serve yourself from the bain marie kind of deal). I don't deal well with hot food (which also obviously limits my eating options here) so I served myself a tiny bit of what I thought was vindaloo and quite a bit of the rogan josh (which I believe is mild...the dishes were ordered from mildest to hottest on the serving table). When I got it back to where I was sitting and started eating. I think I managed a mouthful of what was meant to be rogan josh and this was followed by about 6 mouthfuls of naan to stop my mouth burning. To this day I am sure that the rogan josh and vindaloo labels had been switched.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #40
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Dairy. That's what you need if you get caught like that again.
Sour cream, yoghurt, milk. Which therefore includes raita or lassi (and probably lots more that haven't come to mind).

Water/ lager/ wine will not help - you need lactose to cool your mouth.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #41
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Although I've not seen the pesto Genovese (one of my faves) by Barilla, I also haven't looked for it.

Ended up using the Pesto Genovese today-straight with pasta. I hadn't eaten this for a while and I didn't add anything and found the result filling, but rather greasy. Do you add anything to this pasta/pesto combination?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #42
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Outrage After School Tells Mom Her Child’s Lunch Is Unhealthy and Unacceptable
Quote:
A mother is outraged after school officials told her 4-year-old daughter that
her home-packed lunch was not healthy enough to eat. What was so unhealthy about her lunch?
Trace Gallagher reported that a lunch inspector at the school told the girl she couldn’t eat
her turkey sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice. Instead, providing the girl with a
USDA-approved lunch with the following guidelines: one serving of meat, one serving of grains,
and two servings of fruit or vegetables.

When the girl returned home from school, her unopened lunch contained a note from the school
saying that her lunch didn’t meet the guidelines and a $1.25 bill for the replacement lunch.
The mom was outraged and anonymously wrote to the local newspaper and called a state representative.
The North Carolina representative called the school which apologized, because in fact the lunch
did meet all the USDA requirements.
I have no comment.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #43
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

At that age I only ate cinnamon rolls for lunch.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 AM   #44
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Butter chicken
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #45
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
A mother is outraged after school officials told her 4-year-old daughter that
her home-packed lunch was not healthy enough to eat. What was so unhealthy about her lunch?
Trace Gallagher reported that a lunch inspector at the school told the girl she couldn’t eat
her turkey sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice. Instead, providing the girl with a
USDA-approved lunch with the following guidelines: one serving of meat, one serving of grains,
and two servings of fruit or vegetables.

When the girl returned home from school, her unopened lunch contained a note from the school
saying that her lunch didn’t meet the guidelines and a $1.25 bill for the replacement lunch.
The mom was outraged and anonymously wrote to the local newspaper and called a state representative.
The North Carolina representative called the school which apologized, because in fact the lunch
did meet all the USDA requirements.
It was due to budget cuts. The regular lunch inspector job was eliminated. The job is now done by a hobo, whose other responsibilities include smoking the cigarette butts left outside by the students.