The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #16
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

The camera in my S3 is no slouch ...
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

My kids both have galaxy s2 epics, and tell me they will be going with the s4 when they upgrade. Apparently you can sync up to 7 s4 phones and play music in 7.1 surround sound. it would be cool to set them all up at a party.

I also like the picture in picture thing with the front and rear facing cameras. That would be great for rfn pictures.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

So, today I went to the sprint store and played with them. The s4 is decidedly quicker. Might have just been the floor models, but it loads web pages faster. It's lighter, but feels solid.

Now I have to wait. I tried getting bumped up, but they wanted an extra $100..... AND! The $149 price is only for new customers. I have to pay $249 for the phone . I might switch to T-Mobile.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I am doing this stuff now. I want a galaxy, but I am waffling more on the plans. Virgin gives all unlimited for 55. Verizon just offered me unlimited voice and text +2gb for 60. I don't think I will use the data that much. Maybe just checking email or the occasional search, but I don't know if 2gb is a lot or not.

I have been with verizon for over 10 years and I trust its reliability. I can be somewhere that I am the only person with signal. Lots of phones don't have service in rural WV and that is where my dad works. Plus, when I fix up the car, I will probably be driving through the boonies.

I hate making decisions like this. :|
Old 06-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
glatt

Reading this thread convinces me that I won't be buying Apple stock any time soon.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #21
bbro
Insert witty comment here

UGH! If I stick with Verizon, I have to sign another 2yr contract or pay full (insane) price for a new phone.

Glatt - serious Applers will always and only buy iPhones. I had a co-worker who bought the iPhone 5 just because it was new. Her iPhone 4 wasn't even a year old
Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nobody is buying Apple stock right now. Which means: time to buy.

Yesterday was an big Apple developers conference and the tech press seems to think they have announced nothing particularly special and so their stock dropped again. It's 40% off their peak price.

Nobody seems to have noticed that a version of iOS to run in cars could easily be the next big thing...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I think Apple is legitimately off their peak. I don't think there will be much profit in iOS for automobiles. Developers are starting to leak away toward Linux (some of us just returning home).

Seems to me that developer interest has been a leading indicator of Apple's health at least twice in its existence.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
glatt

Did I mention that my brother used to work for Apple and now works with the iPod and iPhone inventor making thermostats at Nest?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #25
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Nobody is buying Apple stock right now. Which means: time to buy.
You missing the oppurtunity a few months ago. Apple had dropped to a very key number: a P/E ratio of nine. Now it is up so much as to be a P/E ratio of 11.

The 'next big' product that so many expect include the cell phone watch and interactive TV. Nobody is talking. Curiously, nobody is even discussing what we might expect.

Meanwhile, Google is doing to Apple today what Microsoft/Intel/Compaq did to Apple 30 years ago. Another example of why we must learn from history. Since many do not learn or forget history, then the same mistakes are made again 30 years later.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #26
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
The 'next big' product that so many expect include the cell phone watch
I've heard some people talking about this, and I just can't see it catching on. It's like bluetooth earpieces, the ideal product may make sense but the reality is that people just look like dorks wearing them. It'll be too big to be subtle and yet not big enough to accomplish anything with it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
glatt

especially women. Men's watches are larger, and some men really like a big masculine looking hunk of metal on their wrist. But women's fashions seem to go the opposite direction with watches that are so small you can't easily read them. I can't imagine many women wanting a watch phone larger than a quarter.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

I have the LG Bluetooth headphones. Very nice sound and don't look any worse than other headphones.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #29
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

In 10-15 years "cell phones" will be a subcutaneous implant, probably in/near the ear canal (or with a "speaker" that directs sound there). 5-10 years later it'll interface directly to your brain and nobody will speak anymore.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

"Your cell phone bulge is so big, why don't you get the new Microogle iePhone?"