The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Yewwwwwwwwwwwww spent way too much time lookin at that!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:06 AM   #17
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

No part of me needed to see any of that.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Kasszia
Lurking for fun and profit.

Okay, I have osteogenesis imperfecta, not to the same degree she does. I'm 5' tall. I passed this onto my son. My sister's children aren't affected by it. Got it from my Dad's side and one of his siblings are affected. (out of 5) The odds were pretty good that I wouldn't pass it on but...
That said, I would NEVER inflict this on any other child. I refuse to have more kids. We have talked to our son (now 15) about thinking very seriously about having kids and passing it on to them.
Ive broken my bones 35 times, my 15 yo son, 10.
*shaking head*
Kasszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
Pie
Gone and done

Wow. Thanks for the perspective, Kasszia.

Is this a condition that can be screened in the embryo? Some people would object to that, but for many it might be a way to have an unaffected baby.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
A good friend of mine has OI. His whole family does to varying degrees. He got clipped (vasectomy) because he couldn't in good conscience pass that on to anyone. His siblings didn't have the same perspective. With predictable results...

An avid athlete, he's got a stack of films three inches high. He's had easily 100 fractures in the past 40 odd years. He's about 5-8, slightly barrel chested, but not noticeably so.

For him it really and truly sucks because he loves sports like wind surfing, skiing, hiking. He loved carpentry but is shut out of it for obvious reasons and so has a desk job where he crawls the walls.

Having known this guy for decades I have a lot of admiration for his decision to forgo his wants or desires for fulfillment at the expense of someone else's health and happiness.

I'll let you read between the lines for my opinion of mini-mom.

"Fuck the hive! I am the only bee that matters." What an asshole.

I lied, sue me.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #21
Kasszia
Lurking for fun and profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Wow. Thanks for the perspective, Kasszia.

Is this a condition that can be screened in the embryo? Some people would object to that, but for many it might be a way to have an unaffected baby.
I don't think it's screened for at this point, but I don't keep up on it. One of the big give aways that someone has it that the sclera of our eyes is blue, not white.
They are trying some therapies to help strengthen the bones, but it's far from perfected.
Kasszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is this a case of not being common enough to attract research money, Kasszia? At least for anything more than treating symptoms, like the bone thing, that could carry over to something else, like osteoporosis treatments?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #23
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

OI came up in a fairly recent case where Sally Clarke was jailed for killing two of her babies. It was eventually proved that the babies were not abused, but were OI sufferers (using family history and photographs as Mrs Clarke was not herself a sufferer, only a carrier).

She served over three years in prison while the wheels of justice slowly turned, but sadly died four years after her release at the age of 42.

The jury admitted the deciding point in the trial was the evidence of Professor Sir Roy Meadows, who stated that the chances of two babies dying natural, unexplained deaths in an affluent family like the Clarks were 73m to one.

The only good point from this tragic affair is that the medical community are now far more aware of OI and the symptoms it presents.