The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-13-2003, 01:06 AM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Pizza Delivery

You're always kind of at the mercy of pizza (or other) delivery places. You're trusting that for your extra bucks (sometimes enforced by the vendor, sometimes added by you as courtesy) your food is going to arrive in a timely manner, at appropriate temperatures, and everything you ordered is actually in the bag.

We have a couple places that do manage this for us. My dept. is a captive audience. We're not permitted to leave the building so if we want something, it means a phone call.

How to know when you order too often from the same place:

1. You're on a first name basis with the delivery guy.

2. He knows the story behind the "secret name" your department uses when they order food.

3. He brings an order for a staff member (who typically orders Fried Mushrooms, a Cheese Steak, an order of Hot Wings and a 2 liter Diet Coke) and says "You tell-a Joshie I'm-a worried about his cholesterol"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:18 AM   #2
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Re: Pizza Delivery

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
2. He knows the story behind the "secret name" your department uses when they order food.
Whats that all about?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:23 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Many, many years ago, one of the guys had this girlfriend who was, much to his delight, very horny.

She would, however, approach him, often in public settings, or while there were people in their apartment to demand attention. And she would be very specific.

He didn't want her NOT to approach him, but he was sufficiently suave that he didn't want her blurting out her rather specific requests in front of large groups of people, including his parents.

So he made up a code word for her.

And that's the name we use when we order pizza.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 11-13-2003, 02:07 AM   #4
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Well, damn. Don't leave us all hanging. What's the word?
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:33 AM   #5
dave

No shit wolf. Much like Scott Tenorman, that was totally not cool.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
tonksy
100:10100

i ran a pizza delivery store. it ain't so glamorous
Old 11-14-2003, 12:01 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunks
Well, damn. Don't leave us all hanging. What's the word?
What, and let you be able to fuck up my pizza order?

Old 11-14-2003, 12:16 AM   #8
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

hey now man, I'm a pizza delivery guy myself. Now, as a pizza consumer I understand that you want your pizza there really fast. But as a guy making an hourly wage of 5.15 an hour I will say that if you dont tip you go in the computers. And in the delivery guys massive chunk of memory devoted to the pricks that stiffed him. I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night, but right off the bat I can give you the names, adresses and orders of at least 5 stiffs. So remember, we're often busy, and we're trying our best. And most of the time it's the fuckin cooks fault.
greenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 12:25 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One of the reasons that we are on a first-name basis with our pizza delivery guy is that we (staff) DO tip. Overtip a lot of the time, to make up for the patients who don't. Our guy doesn't mind that the patients don't tip really big ... he knows what our hospital is about, and that most of our clients don't have a lot of bucks to spare when they are treating themselves to a dinner not served on a plastic tray. We actually took a restaurant off our approved list because the delivery guys got hostile over low tips ... despite their compulsory $3 (yeah, three bucks) delivery fee.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:20 AM   #10
kleinshelley
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Many, many years ago, one of the guys had this girlfriend who was, much to his delight, very horny.

She would, however, approach him, often in public settings, or while there were people in their apartment to demand attention. And she would be very specific.

He didn't want her NOT to approach him, but he was sufficiently suave that he didn't want her blurting out her rather specific requests in front of large groups of people, including his parents.

So he made up a code word for her.

And that's the name we use when we order pizza.
wow that story reminds me of me and my ex-bf
kleinshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

When I was in college, many meals came from the 'dead' pizzas from the delivery place. We'd call and ask if they had any failed deliveries -- sometimes they were less than desirable combinations -- but for 1 or 2 bucks for a large, us beggars were not choosers.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:21 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Every now and again a patient will refuse to pay for food they ordered. When this happens, if we are hungry, and if it's something we might enjoy, we negotiate with the delivery guy.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:17 AM   #13
breakingnews
Q_Q

Freshman year of college, the Domino's guy was making a delivery to my dorm but forgot to lock his car (actually, it was still running - but who'd want a 1990 Corolla on a spare doughnut tire?).

Anyway, some assholes got into his vehicle and stole all his deliveries. They stopped delivering to my dorm. That sucked big time.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:31 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It's not common to tip pizza deliveries in this country, as most of the places that deliver are delivery only i.e. no restaurant, so people figure the cost of the delivery is built into the cost of the pizza.

My ex-housemate was an actor however, which meant delivering pizzas a lot of the time, and she introduced me to the concept of tipping. Always keen to give money away and ingratiate myself with anyone who provides food I have tipped ever since.

Has it helped?
Nope.
I get a different driver every time, I have to wait at the window from 10 minutes after ordering because my name isn't on the doorbell and my sole pleasure is the look of delight on the driver's face when I say "Keep the change."

But hey - that's good enough
Old 09-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl

Has it helped?
Nope.
I get a different driver every time, I have to wait at the window from 10 minutes after ordering because my name isn't on the doorbell and my sole pleasure is the look of delight on the driver's face when I say "Keep the change."

But hey - that's good enough
retain your doorbell anonymity and expediate pizza delivery by putting "PIZZA" on your doorbell.