The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, for god's sake get your affairs in order.
If they get messy and overlap, they are likely to meet each other and it'll be the end of your world.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #62
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Speaking of nuts, just be glad you don't work with this woman.

Quote:
Cops: Bus monitor beat disabled adults
The Associated Press

June 23, 2006, 9:18 AM EDT

A bus monitor was accused of beating disabled passengers with a leather belt because she felt they were being rowdy.

Martine Barber, 26, of Manhattan, was arrested and charged with three counts of endangering the welfare of an incompetent or physically disabled person.

Barber allegedly hit the three developmentally passengers on a bus contracted by the Institute for Applied Human Dynamics' St. Jude Habilitation Institute in Tarrytown, police said. Barber told police that the passengers, ages 20, 21 and 30, were unruly.

Barber worked for the Tremont Ambulette Service in the Bronx.
Let me guess. It will turn out that the woman has no training and was working for less money than she could have gotten behind the counter at a McDonalds.

I am amazed that we put human lives and safety in the hands of people who are sometimes paid less and have less experience than the people who handle our trash.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #63
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That is so typical.
Several years ago SWMBO worked as a direct care provider for two men who had severe autism, one of whom was possibly retarded as well. The guys needed 24 hour care. A couple of the other staff members along with SWMBO were dedicated and ethical people who really put in 100% despite making less than they would at Burger King (truth).

Other staff members were not so ethical. One example was when one staff member wanted to play a prank on the other staff member at the expense of their charges.

The guys were on pretty strict diets, most importantly NO sugar or caffeine. The second shift gal had a grudge against the third shift gal who was an overnighter. She'd put the guys to bed and hang out all night to be sure they were ok.

On this particular occasion the second gal let the guys chow snickers bars and mountain dew all day, didn't say a word, and dropped the guys back at the home and left the third shift gal with a couple of boucing off the walls autistic men who didn't get a minutes sleep that night and were almost completely wild.

There was no point in the woman reporting it, the other woman would have denied it, there was no evidence (beyond her laughing about it with her compatriots). The place was chronically understaffed so they weren't gonna fire her, and if anyone went to the state about, they'd get fired for making waves. The company wanted these guys because they got extra money for them.

The owners of the company were immensely wealthy, btw and would frequently hire their own clients to do yard work etc., paying them some miniscule prison wage. For which the owners were reimbursed with a bonus by the state.

What a disaster.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #64
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy

Let me guess. It will turn out that the woman has no training and was working for less money than she could have gotten behind the counter at a McDonalds.

I am amazed that we put human lives and safety in the hands of people who are sometimes paid less and have less experience than the people who handle our trash.
When people become more profitable, they'll get better care. Until then...mooooooo!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #65
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy

S-a good way to get stabbed.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #66
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
--snip--
Be just and fear not.
Thank you, wolf. You made my day, not to mention my new sig (first change to sig, evar.) :bows:
Old 06-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #67
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
When people become more profitable, they'll get better care. Until then...mooooooo!!!
Oh they already are quite profitable. A big part of that profit comes from paying staffers minimum wage.

Open up a privately run direct care facility and within the year, you'll be farting through silk. Can't say the same for your staffers.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:47 AM   #68
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Thank you, wolf. You made my day, not to mention my new sig (first change to sig, evar.) :bows:
I am very honored, even if it's really Richard O'Brien's fault.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 AM   #69
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Tonight I declined an admission of a woman who is pregnant.

Not just because she's pregnant ... we've had plenty of pregnant women in the nuthouse. I declined her because she is due in three days.

There is no fucking way that I'm going to allow the mentally ill antichrist to be born in MY hospital on Christmas.

We had a near miss with that a few years back ... that crazy lady's name was Mary, so I was really worried, especially when I thought her water broke in my secure exam room.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 AM   #70
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

[innkeeper]
Quote:
... There is no fucking way that I'm going to allow the mentally ill antichrist to be born in MY hospital on Christmas. ...
[/innkeeper]
Old 12-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #71
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
There is no fucking way that I'm going to allow the mentally ill antichrist to be born in MY hospital on Christmas.
LOL Thanks for the diligence.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #72
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I dunno wolf, you may have passed up your chance to be remembered for all eternity.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #73
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have other irons in the fire for that. The nuthouse is just my dayjob, in a manner of speaking, since I actually work at night.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #74
rkzenrage

Aw, dude, I wanted to hear about the beginning of the end! Now you've ruined it for me.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #75
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Tonight I declined an admission of a woman who is pregnant.
Who was trying to admit her, herself or a relative or court-ordered?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote