The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #271
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Good Luck
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #272
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thank you!

It's all over now.

After a fifteen minute late start of a thirty minute interview.

He apologized, I accepted, we continued.

He asked me about my current gig and why I wanted this job (his advertised opening). This was an easy question and I segued from the first to the second easily. Then he asked me about my current manager, who figured in my first answer. Another easy question. This led me to believe that he was listening to me, not just reading a script of questions--a good sign I believe. Then a (stock sounding) question about how I handle(d) difficult customers. Another easy question. And a final question about what happens when my technical solutions don't work. Another easy question.

Then, the end of the interview was ... unfortunate. He said "I have three problems--no, one good thing and two problems. First, I've enjoyed talking to you. I'd like to schedule some more time to talk again. Are you available for about ten minutes today? And my battery is literally dying as I'm sitting in the parking lot of my next customer. Which is my appointment now. <pause>".

I said, "I work today until seven, so I don't think we can do it today."

He said "Can you hear me? V, helllo? Can you hear me? Hello, hello???"

aaaaand that's how the interview ended.

So I immediately called his office and left a message with his office manager outlining the circumstances of the end of our call, emphasizing that I did not hang up on him (yikes) and here's my contact info, yes, let us please reconnect sometime soon. Thanks for passing my message on to him.

So. Once again, I'm in the position of waiting for a company to call me. *sigh* I don't know what I'm doing wrong to be in this situation which I find so uncomfortable so frequently.

Anyhow, thanks for the well wishes. I think the interview went as well as it could have been expected to go, despite the unfortunate ending. I think I'll hear from him again, I think we'll eventually meet, and I think he'll offer me the job. Then I'll have a whole new basket of problems to solve, good ones.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #273
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

And now, he's just called back as I have to leave to work.

We agreed to finish the call, but not EXACTLY RIGHT NOW. He did say that I was not in danger of losing the position because I can't talk right now, that I deserve to get to work on time too. Nice touch.

And another nice touch... I told him that I also liked talking with him and that I'm looking forward to being part of a well-functioning team. That I liked what I'd heard from him, that A, the office manager, sounded like a very nice and organized person, a good team. He replied thanks, and that he believed that no customer will ever have an experience with the company that is better than the employee's experience.

*blink* *blink*

Wow. That's a very appealing thing to he from the lips of the owner. That the employee's experience is something that matters... Wow. I've been lots of places where the attitude was completely different--where there was opposition between management and labor, hostility even. This is not that.

As I predicted, we'll be in touch again. And y'all will hear about it here.

c-ya!
Old 09-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #274
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Glad to hear it went so well!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #275
glatt

sounds good
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #276
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Here's hoping...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #277
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yeah V.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #278
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

second interview commencing in five minutes
Old 09-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #279
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

goddammit.

the first phone interview (he was to call me) started fifteen minutes late.

this phone interview (he is to call me, again) is now eleven minutes late.

Not happy about this.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #280
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

He called.

Twenty-five minutes after the scheduled start time.

*sigh*

so.... all in all, it was a good conversation. If either of us has to be chagrined by being late, twice, I'd **much** rather it be him than me. We talked, and the upshot was that I got invited in for a face to face interview. This interview will not be with the whole company (it's small enough though) but just for a meal this Sunday.

I was pleased to hear a couple things from him. He said he hadn't asked me much in the way of technical questions, and that's a boon to me. Those kind of questions can be very tricky, like a test, and I sweat them. My thoughts on much of that kind of question, like a word problem for tech support geeks, is that I might know it off the top of my head, but I might not. And if what I think I know and try doesn't work out, in the interview, I've gotten it wrong. But in the tech support *real world*, it doesn't work and I simply try the next thing, even if I have to look it up.

He said he'd rather have someone who's a good fit with the team, someone who was interested in learning and documenting what's gone on, rather than someone who knew a lot of stuff but was hard to work with. THAT'S when I felt I had the job.

I'm pleased, kind of excited, and looking forward to the next step, this dinner meeting.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:56 AM   #281
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Congrats V! Next step is a good thing.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #282
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Sunday's meeting turned into a Friday afternoon interview. It was probably an hour long, pretty casual, and included positive sounding notes like "do you have any benefits requiments?" and "presumably, you'd need the accepted two weeks?" and stuff like that.

I asked when he intends to make a decision and he said he wanted to talk to my references, first. I took this as a good sign.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #283
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I got the job.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #284
monster
I hear them call the tide

Well Done!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #285
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hooray!