Wow! Very well said, A.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #182
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Ibram, I really like you and think you're a lovely fella, but I reckon you need to get over yourself a bit. You're taking it too far, and you're going to make your road very difficult if you're going to take offence at harmlessly humourous comments like Sheldons. Honestly, there are a lot more battles worth fighting than the one you've created here.
Tilting at windmills, etc.

I agree in a general sense with Ali here. Both points... I like you , but c'mon... you're going out of your way looking for offense when clearly none was intended. Makes you sound bitchy.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #183
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Again, I honestly mean no offence to you. I don't really care what your sexuality is. I don't care what anyone's sexuality is. I really just want to be able to have a discourse without having to worry about who I called a he when I should have called him a she or whatever. if I'm talking to you, then 'you' are what you are, and what I address you as is of no consequence and has no bearing on what you see yourself as. The only person who really has to be happy about you is you. Everyone else can go get knotted.
This is my point - I find the notion that it's unreasonable to expect people to make an effort to properly gender me to be flat out nasty. I fundamentally disagree with your worldview on gender. And because I'm part of the trans* community, that disagreement takes on a little more weight, because when you treat gender that way, it fundamentally erases me and my identity, and leaves the door open for a lot of really bad things. I don't care if you think i'm bitchy or taking it too far - I'm going to make an effort to educate the cellar as to WHY the things we say can be taken as offensive, HOW our language makes it extremely easy to erase the trans* community, etc. It doesn't mean i'm personally bent out of shape about it. It means I think it's a fundamental human and civil rights issue to talk about these things, and to stand up against language I think is damaging.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #184
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ibram, the difficulty is not in calling someone a she if they want to be called a she, it's with remembering the changes from year to year. I humbly suggest you make a new user name if you want people to think of you as someone different than you used to be. Heck, sometimes it's a good idea to do that just to separate yourself from your younger self.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #185
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

So everyone should make an attempt to understand you and where you're coming from (I'm afraid to use the 'wrong' words) but you have no problem judging and chastising someone like JBK...why?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #186
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Trantrums!

Ibs, you know who doesn't give two shits about "educating" people about gender issues? Post-ops.

I've been close friends with one, friends with two others and acquaintances with two more. Once they're women, they're women and all the gender politics is no longer interesting. It's dropped, permanently.

Oh and. Please consider never again using the word "worldview". Just say "view", unless you want to be the most blowhardy blowhard ever.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #187
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Ib, don't take these responses personally, in fact, just say your piece and then leave their responses alone.

You do what you need to do.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #188
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
So everyone should make an attempt to understand you and where you're coming from (I'm afraid to use the 'wrong' words) but you have no problem judging and chastising someone like JBK...why?
my "attacks" on JBK were all exhortations to make damn sense. I'm not telling him to leave or go home or shut up or anything else, and i'm not "judging" anything except for the incomprehensibility of his content. JBK makes no effort to and has no interest in helping anyone understand where he's "coming from" at any given point, except to say that he doesn't intend to make sense. That's a valid way to communicate, but it's equally valid to criticize it as opaque and nonsensical. Just like, you can use whatever damn pronouns you want, for me, but it's perfectly legitimate for me to correct you if I would prefer female ones, and its perfectly legitimate to point out when I feel like people are talking offensively. I don't care if you think it's overly sensitive of me.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #189
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Ibs, you know who doesn't give two shits about "educating" people about gender issues? Post-ops.

I've been close friends with one, friends with two others and acquaintances with two more. Once they're women, they're women and all the gender politics is no longer interesting. It's dropped, permanently.
That is sometimes the case, yes. So? Not all trans* people intend to have surgery, and not everyone in the trans* community is an activist. I am. The same way I speak out on some gay issues, or some economic issues, or some international issues, that i consider it important for people to BE active about, I speak out on trans* issues, even if not every member of the community thinks it's an issue worth pursuing, or even agree that its an issue at all. I think its sad that NOT everyone in the community is an activist, but I'm going to continue to follow my own passion in the issue.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #190
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
my "attacks" on JBK were all exhortations to make damn sense. I'm not telling him to leave or go home or shut up or anything else, and i'm not "judging" anything except for the incomprehensibility of his content. JBK makes no effort to and has no interest in helping anyone understand where he's "coming from" at any given point, except to say that he doesn't intend to make sense. That's a valid way to communicate, but it's equally valid to criticize it as opaque and nonsensical. Just like, you can use whatever damn pronouns you want, for me, but it's perfectly legitimate for me to correct you if I would prefer female ones, and its perfectly legitimate to point out when I feel like people are talking offensively. I don't care if you think it's overly sensitive of me.

Take the pill of chill dude...I barely said anything.

But I will now, and I don't care if you think it's overly meanie weanie of me: you get offended over shit even as people are trying to understand what you are saying. You'll be happy to know I read about every other word in this previous post, because WTF.

JBK has admitted to schizophrenia. You've admitted to being transgendered or whatever word I'm allowed to use. People bend over backwards to understand your position. But you got all pissy with JBK for no reason...why, because you don't 'get' schizophrenia? Well, I don't 'get' whatever it is you're hoping to accomplish, but I've kept my mouth shut. JBK isn't the issue. You are. You're on a fast track to crazy town, is what you are.

So put your big girl panties on, take a deeeeeep breath, and lay off the booze for a while.

kthx
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #191
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

So we have male, female, and transgendered? What about me???
Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #192
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
You're on a fast track to crazy town, is what you are.

concise enough for you?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #193
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
What about me???
Pandabare?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #194
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I'm sorry Ibram. I meant no offense. I'll leave this thread alone now.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #195
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I'm sorry Ibram. I meant no offense. I'll leave this thread alone now.
No, don't Sheldon.
You have as much right to be in this thread as Ibram.

You make me laugh.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote