The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-21-2006, 11:41 PM   #166
dov

you had to be there
Old 02-22-2006, 12:29 AM   #167
dov

Guess you would prefer Israel nuke Iran for Iran’s holocaust jokes, fargon.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #168
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Watch it with the ashtray joke. We lost a really good dwellar over the ashtray joke.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:15 AM   #169
dov

You really don’t get the irony; humour and genius behind it do you?

You really can’t understand one reason the Jews out lived the Egyptian, Babylon, Greek, Roman and Christian Dynasties by being able to make fun of ourselves. You are attempting to censor something you have no conception of. It’s a solution to the Iranian problem, defusing them immediately. You want to make racist jokes Iran about us? Too late we beat you to it. Like I said, around hear censorship and nukes prevail.

I post pics here, ones I consider quite engaging, not allowed, I post a very funny joke whose essence goes way over your heads, I’m censored. No BS hypocritical hierarchy with a saturated perspective of the world is getting rid of me. If you do, you most definitely, eventually will feel shame. Status quo is comfy. Wave making newbie is a no no. Look at yourselves, not at me, when your disturbed, if you are capable. Ya, I am pi$$ed off at the close minded cloistered community here, but not pi$$ed off enough to leave, YET.

The only person who could post the ashtray joke is a Jew. You don’t have to understand and there is know way for you to. You’d need a 3000-year-old heritage not a 300-year-old one to get it. You are off by twenty seven hundred years.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:07 AM   #170
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mari, the thing I was pointing out is there has not been an across the board ban on depicting Muhammad. It’s interpreted by some clerics as a graven image but historically not a consensus.

Once again I’ll remind people these cartoons were not made for entertaining anyone.
1- The publisher wrote a book on the life of Muhammad or the Islamic roots or something.
2- He had trouble finding someone to illustrate the book.
3- He chided the community of illustrators for there lack of balls.
4- These cartoons were their response to HIM for his chiding.
5- He published them in his newspaper as part of an article on the trouble he’d had finding an illustrator and the growing fear of radical Islamics.
6- The cartoons were never meant to be stand alone political cartoons.

Dov, you’re right. The Jews have always had a self deprecating humor that makes it difficult for an outsider to top. My experience is the younger generations tend to bristle more when it comes from outside the Jewish community but this may be an American thing.
I agree the idea to beat the Arabs to the punch, is genius.

As for you getting your panties in a bunch, the pictures you find engaging, I find disgusting. That’s what freedom is about. I’m not going to burn anything down or riot in the streets nor will I stifle my opinion.
I know you’re not suggesting I do, I’m saying when you put up things like that you’re going to annoy some people and should expect them to show it. You were trying to provoke a response and you did, it just came in an unexpected form.

Your posts from the get-go have been geared to provoke rather than engage which is not the way to win friends an influence people. You claim not to want to win friends....fine, but I’ll bet you wish to influence people.
If you feel the backlash to your post is over the top, stop and look at your history here.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #171
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dov
I post pics here, ones I consider quite engaging, not allowed, I post a very funny joke whose essence goes way over your heads, I’m censored. No BS hypocritical hierarchy with a saturated perspective of the world is getting rid of me. If you do, you most definitely, eventually will feel shame. Status quo is comfy. Wave making newbie is a no no. Look at yourselves, not at me, when your disturbed, if you are capable. Ya, I am pi$$ed off at the close minded cloistered community here, but not pi$$ed off enough to leave, YET.
You haven't been censored, you've been criticized. And you responded by criticizing those who criticize you. Does that make you a censor?

Your posts are all still there in their entirety. Nothing has been deleted. You haven't been banned.

Stop whining.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:02 AM   #172
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"I hate you assholes! And the worst thing is, you don't want me around!!!"
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #173
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
You haven't been censored, you've been criticized.
I find it strange that he censored himself for some reason. Unless he's implying, uh, expensive urine. Or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dov
I am pi$$ed off at the close minded cloistered community here, but not pi$$ed off enough to leave, YET.
This song was old the first time it was heard. Yawn.

piss piss piss PISS
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #174
dov

When I am finished testing my parameters here you all will be the first to know.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #175
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
When I am finished testing my parameters here you all will be the first to know.
You're finished now.

The main reason I have never listed what offenses make one "intolerably irritating" is that, inevitably, someone would take that as a list of things they could walk right up to the edge of, and then point to the list as evidence they were still ok.

"You can't do X." "Oh! Well I can do X minus 1 then! X minus 1, X minus 1, X minus 1 all daaay. X minus 1! I'm not touching you! Does this bug you? How about this? I'm not touching you!"

The "parameters" are not there to be "tested".

This is a community, not a game.

Goodbye, dov. You got exactly what you wanted. And you're right: everyone here is the first to know.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #176
Pie
Gone and done

Do not provoke the Toad.

Eh, that was a knee-jerk reaction. Dov deserved it.

Last edited by Pie; 02-22-2006 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Had more to say
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #177
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I do hope it's not about me. This is not a job I want so much as a responsibility I have to accept.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #178
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Irving apparently is a perverse liar. His sentence apparently goes beyond the holocaust. ... That trial is more about the credibility and honesty of Irving - who has a problem with both human requirements.
So sue him for slander/libel. Charge him with inciting a riot. Disturbing the peace. Public menace or whatever. The fact that Irving's a class A-1 dickhead is not being debated -- just the state's response to it. It's still an awkward situation for Americans to contimplate.

As for the Danes and the protesters, I get the impression that the conversation's going something like this:
Quote:
Cartoonists: We're not scared to print this image of the prophet Muhammed.
Extremists: Oh yeah? We'll make you scared! Uh, I mean, how dare you attempt to express an idea I find offensive!
The western world is acting like the parent of a angry teenager who has just discovered the right buttons to push to get what they want, every time.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #179
glatt

Thanks for doing the dirty work, UT.

If I were in charge, I probably wouldn't have banned him, but who knows how I would feel if I had that responsibility on my shoulders. I certainly won't miss him.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #180
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Maybe it is about me after all. I could put it this way: I have no patience for it right now. I just got back from the two-hour return drive to put rack rails on the system. Rack rails for which I had to pay extra for overnight delivery. The system that, combined with the two other systems, cost big money to locate there. Except that one of the two other systems won't be paid for, increasing the cost for the Cellar system, because my business partnership turned out not to be so much of a partnership. Which in turn means there'll be less time to police the system, since I'll probably now return to a "normal" 60-hour/wk sysadmin job for the man, and under such conditions will probably either give up iotd or not police the system at all, so let's get rid of the people who just want to be assholes before that time huh.