The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-22-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Save The Hubble

According to the Washington Post the public is not happy about NASA's plan to ditch the Hubble Telescope.
Quote:
The news was divulged almost as a by-the-way amid the fanfare accompanying President Bush's new moon-Mars initiative, but it has provoked a level of anguish and outrage that has overwhelmed whatever excitement the administration may have hoped to kindle with proposed new ventures in space. Hubble's distress touched a national nerve. It has become the people's telescope, its fate of vital interest to everyone from the scientists who use it and minister to its needs to amateur astronomers to breakfast-table enthusiasts who marvel at Hubble's spectacular images.
"Let me get this straight. We are going to take the greatest telescope ever conceived . . . and then we are going to blow it up?" one man wrote on Hubblesite. "Do you people have a clue? The American People own the Hubble. How dare you even consider blowing her up?"
"Within our own Hubble community, we've had nothing but shock and outrage," said Steven Beckwith, director of the Space Telescope Science Institute (STSI) here, which supervises Hubble's observations. "The public outpouring has been extraordinary."
Beckwith said he has received hundreds of e-mails of support and suggestions for saving Hubble. O'Keefe has acknowledged to reporters that his "e-mail system is clogged every day."
Other NASA offices also report a brisk traffic in Hubble mail, and Hubblesite has received thousands of messages
It's a good thing the 101st is back from Iraq to crush these traitors so Bush can get on with his quest.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:35 PM   #2
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

When I die, if I can't reincarnate, I want to wander space, and check out all the mind blowing wonders it holds for all eternety. Though it may be a bit lonely. I love space pics. That's one thing I'd really love to be able to do, wander around space and be in awe.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Sign this petition...

...and maybe we can prevent this terrible waste of a valuable scientific tool.

http://www.savethehubble.com/