The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-23-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

say what you're thinking

I wish I always did, sometimes. Not when i'm thinking something rude, or mean, but when someone pisses me off at the grocery store, or i witness some minor injustice at work. I wish I had those kind of balls. not many people do. I'm not shy, I'm just saying i need to make it a point to confront rude people when they are being asshats. here's an example:

My wife and i went xmas shopping, and while looking thru some prints at an art store, she had one of the above mentioned occurances, and was irked out enough from shopping that she lost her normal inhibition towards doing this:

So, as I said, we're looking at prints. Its those poster sized plastic fold over racks.....like a giant book. well, as you know it is only possible for 1 person to look through those at a time. So, naturally, this numbnuts lady wanders over and starts prying up the prints on the other end of the stack. So, my wife says in a room silencing volume and tone," why don't you wait your turn, you LOSER!" no shit

dead silence. the woman went white and faded into the background. awesome.

then later that same day, as we're leaving the mall, some guy is looking at her as we walk past each other in the parking lot. "What, am I wearing something of yours?!"

i was impressed. normally, she won't say anything, until we're alone, and then she erupts like a volcano, but we both wish we would. Can any of you HONESTLY say that you practice this philosophy?

Last edited by lumberjim; 11-23-2003 at 01:15 AM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:01 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If she keeps that up you'll be involved soon. Material witness at least.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:09 AM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

she's never got me into a fight. not even the time she pushed that drunk fucker down the steps of the 700 level in the vet at the cowboys game.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:41 AM   #4
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I never really blow up at people. When someone acts an ass, I just stand up really straight and bend my neck down so I look them as close as I can to eye level. The average height of southwestern Pennsylvanians is less than me, so this is a kind of unconscious "I'm bigger than you, asshole." intimidation technique.

This done, I say to them in a normal tone, "Whasamatta wityou?". Naturally, this is done in my New York accent. A puzzled look, elbows bent 90 degrees, hands pointing towards the person I'm talking to (so they KNOW I'm talking to them) just complete the deal.

Usually, my height and the accent are enough to freak anyone out such that they scurry away. Amplifications of the two have yet to result in failure in even the toughest of scenarios. Living among people that never dwelled 20 miles beyond where they were born has its advantages.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:10 AM   #5
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Re: say what you're thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
Can any of you HONESTLY say that you practice this philosophy?
No, but this a great thread topic.

After a minute of thinking, I have an example of when I did though. The results were less than positive but not disasterous.

My dad and I were riding the train back from Cali a couple of years ago. I had a situation with some obvious non-thinker and spoke my peace to the crowd.

We were in the Chicago Amtrak hub and were being held up because of a big snowstorm. There was a train to take us the rest of the way east but it was late. We ended up sitting in the lobby for about 10 hours.

During that time the whole crowd of passengers watched as this one odd looking and acting man would ocassionally ask what time it was or specifics about the status of the train arrival. He wasn't crazy but he wasn't normal either. He was not offensive but was not pleasant in any way either.

After many hours the train had arrived and the passengers were lining up to board. I was at about the middle of the line. We were all tired from the previous leg of the trip and from laying on the floor since we outnumbered the chairs.

I saw this dumbass coming up the line from the very end. I knew exactly what he was going to do, and stepped out of line directly in front of him. At the same time I tapped another of the larger passengers and directed him to stand between me and the wall. The guy I tapped just looked at me as if to say "what are you doing"? and didn't move. Dumbass went right around me.

I shook my head yes and said sarcastically in an audible volume "thats right, I dont have to wait in line, and I dont give a GOD DAMN if all of you people have waited as long as I have, I can do whatever I want". At the same time I looked right into the soul of the other passengers attempting to stare me down. You know, that look that says "go right ahead and look at me, I'm right on this one and you know it".

One guy said something like "give it up buddy" to which I jokingly said to my dad "hey come on, lets go to the head of the line, these people arent going to do anything about it" and continued to stare directly into his pupils. He knew I was right and eventually looked away. We both stood in the same position in line as everyone avoided eye contact until we boarded the train.

Was the guy that cut in line a retard? Hell no, he knew that everyone would just bend over and let him through, because this was a case of courtesy, not law. I suspect this guy has a lot of people trained

This, by the way might very well have not happened if there was someone else with balls in line. Dumbass would have done one of three things; tried to push his way through us, cried about how we were blocking his path, or just turned around and waited like the rest of us.

If he would have made contact in any hostile way, I would have pounded his ass. People nowdays dont get their asses kicked enough. It corrects bad behavior in the future. The majority of the time it isn't required, just the commitment to doing so if necessary, is enough.

But these days, you cannot count on the help of any store or company employees to help keep order, it's the job of the other customers because the company doesnt want to open themselves to legal hassles.

The penalty to us all is that people believe they can do whatever the fuck they want, with no resistance. This is a major reason that I dont go out to malls and such any more.

Chewy: would you have stood between me and the wall in this case? Whats your opinion, was I wrong for attempting to cut this guy off from cutting us off?

Last edited by slang; 11-23-2003 at 04:18 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:34 AM   #6
Nothing But Net
Professor

I think you're all fucked in the head. That's what I think.

slang, you should have kicked that POS in the nuts.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 05:01 AM   #7
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

There you have it, one of our Texas members sounding off.

thanks NBN.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 09:17 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Chewy, remember when you're intimidating that short person that they're a left jab/right cross away from your crotch.

NBN, Texas huh. You have anything to do with that JFK thing?
Old 11-23-2003, 09:25 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Free advice- Before you confront some stranger, do a quick mental checklist of possible reactions and EXACTLY how far you are willing to go to make your point.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
People nowdays dont get their asses kicked enough.
exactly

i guess i don't really worry about the possible ramifications...the physical violence, as it is rare that i'm not the biggest person nearby. and i wasn't really talking about getting into fights, just letting someone know that they're being rude in a public fashion.....i've had people cut in line, and i didn't say anything.....i stood by and watched this old lady berate a young cashier because she used mac instead of credit.....i could have said something... why not? SHE wasn't gonna do anything to me......i'm too friggin polite. I will get better at this!

.....now, when im in my car.......

why is that so much different?....you will NOT cut in line in front of my car, i dont care if you're a carload of nuns. screw you, back of the line.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:54 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
People nowdays dont get their asses kicked enough.
We totally wimpy non-violent sorts who have gotten our ass kicked in the middle of a busy street for no good reason and do not have the presense of mind to take down a simple license plate number, disagree with you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:06 AM   #12
EdZachary
Abhorrent Aberrant

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim

.....now, when im in my car.......

why is that so much different?....you will NOT cut in line in front of my car, i dont care if you're a carload of nuns. screw you, back of the line.
door locks and an escape route.
EdZachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:09 AM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Good thread, Jimbo.

I think there are times when you just have to lash out at people to get your point across...it just depends on the situation.

There are times when I would love to (and have on the rare occasion) lashed out at someone here. The last time I really did it here (to Radar), he made himself look so retarded in the end that it could be considered successful. But I don't like being that way...it's not really my style. And in the end...this is just the fucking internet. Is it REALLY worth it to get all jacked up over someone that may be thousands of miles away and may be a pussy in real life, anyway?

I find that when I use the high road here against a blowhard, they seem to either shut up, chill out, or say something else that makes them look stupid. When I use the high road against a more rational individual, it seems to earn respect. And that's a good thing, because someone that uses the high road against my arguments tends to earn my respect.

In person, I have been known to express myself in not-so-subtle ways...generally this only happens if I've already tried to be nice, or if I consider the infraction against me serious.

For example, let's say I'm on I-95...and someone decides they want to change lanes, but decides not to look and see that I'm essentially right next to them--and they're trying to get into my lane. I consider this a violation of basic driving 101, so I have no problem in yelling something like, "You useless piece of shit! Why don't you die already?!"

Or, I'm at the grocery store or on a SEPTA train...and I just want to get around someone who could easily move out of my way, but refuses to do so. If I have to say "Excuse me" more than twice, you've become a problem. So, I'll either push your ass out of the way or I'll make a nice comment when I finally get by, like "Goddamn, these people around here are retarded" or "Fucking moron" or "There must a serious case of the stupids around here today."

I do think there are some who need an ass-whipping, but I'll let those with more of a temper handle that. I ain't whipping anyone's ass unless they make the first move. And with my physical presence, no one has tried to do that to me in years.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:40 AM   #14
staceyv
Lecturer

I think it's healthy to speak your mind and not let people walk on you. i am a waitress, so, unfortunately, I have to deal with a lot of idiots, and I can never defend myself, I just have to smile and say "suuure" or walk away before I can longer help myself...and I think that THIS is unhealthy..I feel so anxious most of the time, and resentful towards people in general, and I wasn't like this before...so go ahead, if you can! Speak your mind!
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:43 AM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

We totally wimpy non-violent sorts who have gotten our ass kicked in the middle of a busy street for no good reason and do not have the presense of mind to take down a simple license plate number, disagree with you.

goddamn, toad. if it weren't for bad luck , you would have ANY.

Again, the idea behind this thread was not about fighting.....just the gut check needed to call 'em like you see 'em.