The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

yeah.....my kids both had problems from it, and life has changed. now, i read all labels. I can handle dairy, but my daughter gets sick, and my son turns into a demon. Shelby stays off of it just cuz of the things she found out about it....and cuz if she consumed it when she was breastfeeding, my daughter would hurl it all up. i limit myself to cream in my coffee(organic if possible) and cheese(atkins diet)

soy milk is so much better now (silk, specifically) that i don;t miss it at all.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:11 PM   #17
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Ahem. I have Crohn's Disease and I still drink milk. Whole milk. sometimes past the sell-by date too. I can usually take it up to a week after, but then it goes bye bye

Brian
Old 11-24-2003, 06:21 PM   #18
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

<b>What is Skunks' class schedule next term?</b>

I'm glad you asked!

REL233 "Intro to Islam", MWF 11-12, discussion same time on Thursdays. The prof gave a guest lecture in my World History course and I got a kick out of it.

GER102 "The Torture Continues", daily 12-1.

MATH105 "University Math I", Monday through Thursday 3-4.

(I just now got to register.)
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:56 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Milk is unhealthy - until you see what is in all those other fluids. Carbonated drinks are the worst. They literally zap the calcium out of bones which is why there is a masssive increase among the young in bone failure. In experiments with chickens who only drank carbonated water, their bones were so brittle as to break simply when walking. Carbonated fluids (which were never consumed with meals among the 1950 and 1960 kids) is expected to lead to massive bone deficiencies in older age Americans after 2020.

Sport drinks are hype. They provide little that is really useful such as all that hype about electrolytes. In fact, during a recent Boston Marathon, one woman runner was killed by her sport drink. It caused massive electrolyte imbalances that killed her.

I am one of those people who keeps moving, never stops, and moves even faster when it gets warm. As a wrestler, the match was a brawl. As a roofer during those 100+ degree days, we drank everything and only became bloated. Nothing cured the thirst - except milk.

Why does one get thirsty? Some say it is just a need for water. Then why drinking all that water only made us bloated and still thirsty? Yes the body does want water, but not just water. The body remains thirsty because it needs other nutrients as well, such as various types of salts (not just the sodium chloride type). The one fluid that solves this thirst problem (and the reason why others don't understand why I have so much energy in the afternoon on a 95+ degree day) - I drank a quart of skim milk for lunch.

Yes we drank much water during the day. Probably about 9 or 10 bottles. But still, without other nutrious fluids, such as milk, then the body is still starved of what it needs to keep going on a hot day. Skim milk is one of the few fluids that provides that additional material - as well as other important nutrients.

Outside of lactose intolerance (and doctors say about half who claim to be lactose intolerant really are not), then there is no reason to avoid milk. Skim milk is one of the most healthy foods an adult can drink. Milk with more fat content is important to children's health. Explain how else one who never works out in a gym can keep up with the best of them even on those 90+ degree days. One reason - I avoid all those carbonated and diet beverages and those overhyped sport drinks.

Sport drinks? Yes I was distributing them and drinking them in the 1960s - before most ever heard of them. A small amount can be helpful - but not as good as two Florida oranges after an 8 minute wrestling match. But then many only are educated by advertisements - and only know what TV tells them is healthier. Therefore they would drink a sport drink rather than a superior orange (after all Anita Bryant promotes orangesand she also promotes hate).
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:57 PM   #20
DNK
Thick skinned and I like (my wife's) Bush

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
Ahem. I have Crohn's Disease and I still drink milk.
Brian

How are you doing? What meds? Any surgeries? Do you like cheese? Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

GBA

DNK
Old 11-24-2003, 08:00 PM   #21
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
yeah.....my kids both had problems from it, and life has changed. now, i read all labels. I can handle dairy, but my daughter gets sick, and my son turns into a demon. Shelby stays off of it just cuz of the things she found out about it....and cuz if she consumed it when she was breastfeeding, my daughter would hurl it all up. i limit myself to cream in my coffee(organic if possible) and cheese(atkins diet)

soy milk is so much better now (silk, specifically) that i don;t miss it at all.
I just tried the Silk Vanilla creamer for coffee...yummy stuff.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:19 PM   #22
russotto
Professor

Snappy answers to stupid questions

Eggs: Last a good long time beyond the expiration date, over a month, if refrigerated.

Eggs not refrigerated: Carefully place them in your neighbors trash.

Milk: Goes bad shortly (couple of days) after you open it. I can smell milk that's slightly turned. Probably won't kill you, though; I know smokers (thus no sense of smell) who use nasty milk in coffee all the time, even after it starts to congeal.

Milk, source of: Comes out of a cow's teat. If you can handle that, you can handle Monsanto's additions.

Cup with milk: Wash. If still smelly. toss.

Skim milk: completely nasty

Cheese: If it hasn't turned into rock and isn't growing any molds it isn't supposed to, probably OK.

Carbonated beverages and bone loss: Pfui.

Sports drinks: Do provide needed electrolytes to stave off hyponatremia (where drinking too much _WATER_ can kill you), do quench thirst. But indeed can be dangerous in certain situations.

Lactose intolerance: If you don't have lactose for a while, you will become temporarily lactose intolerant -- switching back to dairy will cause problems. This goes away if you don't respond by avoiding dairy again, though.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:18 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Postcard Thank You Note: not usually. But if it's a VERY distinctive postcard of your new town, maybe. Guys can get away with this one better than chicks. Men are not expected to know the rules, and CAN get away with this. Sticking with the traditional folded-card style thank you is safest.

Contaminated Plastic Measuring Cup: it's a cheap plastic measuring cup. Toss it. Go out and buy good pyrex.

Expired Eggs: are still good after the expiration date. If you are not sure, crack one, but be prepared to deal with the consequences. if the yolk is EXTREMELY wrinkly, or the egg smells bad, discard. Otherwise cook it up.

Eggs left out on the counter is a very touchy subject. Once upon a time, eggs were not refrigerated. In fact (I saw the same icky TV show lumberjim did, apparently) many eggs are not refrigerated during transport and storage before arrival at your supermarket. Personally, I wouldn't eat unrefrigerated eggs, but if someone wants to give it a try and report back ...

Also, be aware of the difference between a "sell by" date and a "use by" date. "Use by" is an expiration date. If the item is NOT used by that time, it's often safer to throw it away. A "sell by" date is a date after which the store has to discard something, but is still viable for use. Many dairy products (milk and cheese particularly) have a "sell by" date. Cheese is open dated. If stored properly, it can be used WELL after this date (when it turns a different color, it's gone bad). Milk probably shouldn't be kept around much more than a week after the "sell by" date. I have been looking for a table somewhere that would tell me how long it's good based on the temp. it's stored at, but I have been unsuccessful in this quest. If anyone has this table, PLEASE post it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:28 AM   #24
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I have a dumb question:

If the universe originated from a single point then why can't astromomers plot the course of a few major galaxies (which are expanding at an increasing rate away from their point of origin) backwards to see where the lines intersect in order to find the "center" of the universe.

If nothing else, I suppose it would be a good place to erect a Stuckeys or something that could sell hamburgers, pecan logs and velvet Elvis paintings to various interstellar life forms passing by ...
Old 11-25-2003, 08:54 AM   #25
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
I have a dumb question:

If the universe originated from a single point then why can't astromomers plot the course of a few major galaxies (which are expanding at an increasing rate away from their point of origin) backwards to see where the lines intersect in order to find the "center" of the universe.

I think they HAVE done this, and it originates somewhere near Uranus (your anus)

that would have been SO much funnier spoken as opposed to printed.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #26
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Quote:
Originally posted by DNK

How are you doing? What meds? Any surgeries? Do you like cheese? Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Doing fine, thank you for asking. No surgeries yet (knock on wood). I like all kinds of cheese, but must take them in moderation...milk products do not digest well for me. And give me gas. Thus causing me to sleep on the floor (away from Dagney).

Brian

PS Oh yeah...saw one once. Mine was bigger.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:38 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by September
snip When writing a thank-you note for someone, if you've recently moved to a really pretty area, is it a major faux paus to send a thank-you note via a postcard?
I would take a picture of the scenery and print it up on note cards.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:43 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by zippyt
on the milk issue , smell it ( does it smell like dog shit ??) , taste it ( does it taste like dog shit ??) , if it smells and tasts like dog shit it MUST be dog shit ,, THROW IT OUT !!!!

on the eggs , my wife sees if they float , good eggs float , bad eggs sink , or is it the other way around ?? I'll ask her .
Your right on the milk although nothing compares to the experience of thick milk.
Same for the eggs, if they smell good, eat 'em.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:26 AM   #29
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
Milk is unhealthy - until you see what is in all those other fluids. Carbonated drinks are the worst. They literally zap the calcium out of bones which is why there is a masssive increase among the young in bone failure. In experiments with chickens who only drank carbonated water, their bones were so brittle as to break simply when walking. Carbonated fluids (which were never consumed with meals among the 1950 and 1960 kids) is expected to lead to massive bone deficiencies in older age Americans after 2020.
What journal was this chicken/carbonated water study published in?

The only stuff I can find says that there <i>may</i> be a link between caffeine intake and calcium loss. But there are also many conflicting studies in that area.

Carbonated water? I mean, water, with CO2 in it. That causes calcium loss?? C'mon..

Last edited by juju; 11-26-2003 at 03:36 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:38 AM   #30
Griff
still says videotape

Floatin eggs is bad eggs. The egg inside the membrane shrinks as it ages. Since the shell is permeable, air under the shell replaces the moisture lost and the egg floats. The more bouyant the egg, the older it is.