The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
Zathris
"NOT THE ONE."

Share your musical interests.

I know there's already a thread whee Dwellars can just post their favorite music videos from YouTube, cut this thread is primarily for discussing music.

For instance, my main musical interest is Extreme Metal. However, I'll listen to any kind of music if it sounds good to me.
Zathris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I tend to get into music via soundtracks. It means I have quite eclectic tastes. Some series just use music so well, that a song will get under my skin in a way that it wouldn't have had I just heard it on the radio. I also really like a lot of original series soundtracks as well. Bear McCrearyis one ofmy favoutite composers - I still have the Battlestar Galactica OST on my iphone and revisit it from time to time.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Zathris
"NOT THE ONE."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I still have the Battlestar Galactica OST on my iphone and revisit it from time to time.
Which series, 1978, or 2004?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
glatt

I don't listen to music much at all these days.

Living with three other people means you have to be considerate of their desire for quiet or their desire to watch tv or whatever. I don't like earbuds or headphones, so don't listen to music on my commute. And can't listen to anything at work. If we play something at home, it's chosen by committee and becomes a common denominator type of thing.

When I'm home alone, I often forget that it's an opportunity to put something on, and if I remember, I have a hard time deciding what I should play because I feel like I should really make it count.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Glatt, when you can't listen, write down what you'd like to be listening to. Then when you can listen, go to the list for ideas.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #6
Zathris
"NOT THE ONE."

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I don't listen to music much at all these days.

Living with three other people means you have to be considerate of their desire for quiet or their desire to watch tv or whatever.
Not a problem for me. I spend most of my time in my little mancave/home-office space with my door closed.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathris View Post
Which series, 1978, or 2004?
The latter.

The way music is used in tv is something I really geek out over. I love the way music helps tell the story or add texture to a scene. Not in terms of the obvious stuff, like adding a melancholy note to the scene or cueing us up to action (though I do like the technical aspect of building tension and horror - John Carpenter is fascinating to listen to about that) but the way music is used in a lot of tv shows as part of character building. I love the use of different themes for characters, or plot threads stuff that can be overt but also really subtle. McCreary, who composed the BSG original soundtrack is a master at it. The way he interweaves the different themes is so dynamic and a lot of it works at a subliminal level. Murray Gold is also particularly good at that interweaving of themes.

Right now I am very into Max Richter's work on the Leftovers. It has a simplicity to it that feels kind of fresh. And the soundtrack to the british show, Utopia was both a brilliant piece of music and an excellent example of music helping set the tone of the world the characters were in.

I also have a bit of thing for the way existing songs and music are used in tv. Being Human was a great example of how to use music well (both original and remake) as is Person of Interest. What's awesome about it though is that I often go off to listen to a track they've used particularly well and end up with a whole new set of artists to follow.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-09-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Zathris
"NOT THE ONE."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
The latter.
I prefer the original 1978 theme myself.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #9
DanaC

I quite like the original. As I recall, McCreary incorporated into an anthem - can't recall if it was Caprica's anthem or the anthem for the colonies.

But some of the best parts of that OST were in the episodes. The opening theme was nice - but the really clever stuff happened through the show.

The word I was uselessly wracking my brain for whilst writing about the use character or story themes was 'leitmotif'.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Music is a big part of my connection with my younger daughter. She and her friend do a late night radio show which she's been sharing as Spotify playlists. Her buddy and his roommate lost $700 worth of booze to campus security yesterday in the aptly named Booze-ghazi Scandal. So they did a show last night featuring a bunch of punk protest music. It's fun to see when my music pops up. They opened with Dead Kennedy's Police Truck but that isn't available on Spotify apparently.

I think it was DanaC who shared Courtney Barnett here. I shared it with my daughter she shared it with her buddy and now I have cred.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
DanaC

If I'm not mistaken, I think that might have been UT
Old 10-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

He'll be happy to know she's now a favorite.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

i'd call it a win-win-win we all win!!!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Huzzah!!!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Street cred from the Cellar, ain't that sumpthin.