The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
coberst
Civil Civilian

Extinction and the Dread of Insignificance

Extinction and the Dread of Insignificance

Becker compares three great thinkers Otto Rank, Wilhelm Reich, and Carl Jung to conclude that the three provide us nothing with which to connect their conclusions except that they dissented from Freud. However, there is agreement on the answer to the fundamental question, “What causes evil in human affairs?”

This agreement is also the agreement in all of the human sciences; “man wants above all to endure and prosper, to achieve immortality in some way”.

Wo/man wants, above all, to reject the knowledge of mortality; s/he does so by seeking to assure immortality in some way. Mortality is connected to our animal nature and thereby wo/man reaches for some way of being transcendent of that nature. As our mental capacity increased we rejected other animals with a vengeance because these other animals “embodied what man feared most, a nameless and faceless death.

Our fears are buried deeply within our unconsciousness by repression, that great discovery of the science of psychoanalysis. This repression “is achieved by the symbolic engineering of culture, which everywhere serves men as an antidote to terror by giving them a new and durable life beyond that of the body”.

I have recently finished reading “The Art of War” an article in the March 12, 2007 edition of “Time” by Lev Grossman. The article is about a, largely computer generated, movie regarding a war in ancient Greece. The movie’s title is “The 300 Spartans” and Zack Snyder is the director. The movie is, except for the human actors, a virtual world created by digital movie techniques. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...5241-2,00.html

“Snyder is one of a small, hypertechnical fringe of directors who are exploring a new way to make movies by discarding props, sets, extras and real-life locations and replacing them with their computer-generated equivalents.”

“With so much computer-generated make-believe going on, the actor’s physicality is the movie’s only link to the real world…every frame was manipulated and color-shifted to create an intense, thunderstorm palette…The result is a gorgeous, dreamlike movie that’s almost perfect. Every frame is neat and composed, like an oil painting, not a hair or a grain of sand out of place. All noise and dissonance have been digitally eliminated. Maybe that’s the only way to make a war movie right now, or at least, the only way to make a war movie that’s not an antiwar movie…That’s why it’s a piece of mythology. It’s what we would hope for. “300” is a vision of war as ennobling and morally unambiguous and spectacularly good-looking.”

That’s one hell of a special effect. And this movie is, I find, an insight into the meaning of “evil in human affairs”. We are all directors of our individual and our community’s virtual reality.

I suspect we have repressed such conscious thoughts about mortality that we are inclined to dispatch with a shrug any talk of such matters; do you ever consciously seek to “achieve immortality in some way”?

Quotes from “Escape from Evil”—Ernest Becker
coberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Becker didn't pay attention when I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So remember folks, movies ain't real. Come to think of it, most of the people in 'em are pretty phony too.
Trying to draw some pompous corollary from a commercial Hollywood attempt to entertain, and make money, is stupid.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

How do you qualify a post as spam?
Surely if it's all of the same bent and pushing the same author it has to be reined in at some point...?

It's not my cup of tea to start with, but that certainly doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. It's the same name coming up again and again that raises my red flag.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah. Replace "Becker compares ....etc" with "and you know that reminds me of Jesus when he...."

That last sentence may mean more to Brits, come to think about it....but nonetheless, this is not a bid for philosophical discussion and exploration, so much as an attempt to evangelise a particular branch of Humanist philosophy. It is 'bible bashing' without the bible.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

the problem is he doesn't engage, so he doesn't really qualify as intolerably irritating. i just wish the ridiculous fucker would get involved or go away. i don't have to like what he says as long as i feel there is a real person there saying it.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

What causes evil in human affairs? Evil is the downside of free will.

Some will contend that fate and determinism obviate free will. I don't buy that, reckoning fate not to be knowable before the fact; one may as well behave as if one has free will at all times.

And if the man can only behave like a jerk, he should be unsurprised if he's treated like one.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Yeah. Replace "Becker compares ....etc" with "and you know that reminds me of Jesus when he...."
Oh yes!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Some will contend that fate and determinism obviate free will. I don't buy that, reckoning fate not to be knowable before the fact; one may as well behave as if one has free will at all times.
Well put.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
busterb
NSABFD

UT, where are U???
Old 07-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

If you think he should act, better PM him. Actually, it doesn't look like Charlie Oberst here will be particularly active, or really terribly disruptive. His situation seems to be not-enough-of-a-troll. It might help were he more droll.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

New Day (I think) songwriter, Mr. C. Oberst??
Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He has one day left on his time out.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Will he follow the Cellar Rule Book?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Can I borrow your copy, or did you lend it to him?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
New Day (I think) songwriter, Mr. C. Oberst??
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
He has one day left on his time out.
Sorry. I made this post in haste. I misremembered the band name. I wrote New Day when I should have written "Bright Eyes". And I only wrote the first initial "C" because I wasn't sure of the first name. I thought it might be Christopher, but I'm glad I hesitated, because now that I have the time to check my facts I see that Conor is what I was originally thinking.

Conor Oberst. Is that you?