The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 AM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Man, it would take a big penis to play one of those pianos. I mean pianist. Pianist, yeah.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
Grismar
Viewer of the Image

Anyone wondering about Schiermonnikoog could have googled themselves here ofcourse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiermonnikoog , which says it a lot better than I could have. It's a tiny island off the coast of Frisia.

Grey Monk's Island is a fair translation though there is some debate about the skier (or schier in Dutch) actually referring to a color. Skier -does- translate to gray, but a more common way to refer to the color would have been griis or grijs.

Since it's not called Griismuntseach or Grijsmonnikoog, it might be good to think about the other (currently more common) uses of the word skier / schier in Frisian and Dutch. It also means either 'protruding piece of land that is only attached to the mainland on a single side' (i.e. peninsula) or 'type of landscape where erosion has removed all or most of the relief'. But the net doesn't have enough resources to see if that makes any sense, since I'm unable to find sufficiently old maps, if any exist at all.

This one is nice though:
http://watwaswaar.nl/#dE-yu-4-1-1v-1-46lc-4DGC---hOr

Ofcourse, none of it has anything to do with the oversized grand piano's on the beach...

Greetings,
Grismar.
Grismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #18
xiphos
Bryan.

Are they playable? That would be awesome to play. You would have to walk across the keys though, of course.