The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-06-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

July 7th, 2017: Octopus Wrasslin’

Quote:
One April morning in 1963, some five thousand spectators gathered on the shores of Puget Sound near the Tacoma Narrows, in Washington, to watch an unusual event—the World Octopus Wrestling Championships.
The rules were simple: teams of three divers would descend into the waters at depths between 30 to 50 feet, and try their best to grab an octopus and drag it to the surface. Whoever pulled the biggest octopus out of the water won the trophy. A total of 25 giant Pacific octopuses were captured that day, the heaviest weighing nearly 30 kg.(66lb)
I’m having trouble relating 30kg to “Giant”... but I’m no Einstein, never understood relativity.

Quote:
This rather strange sport has its beginnings in the late 1940s. In an article entitled “Octopus Wrestling Is My Hobby”, published on the April 1949 issue of Mechanix Illustrated, writer Wilmon Menard recounts a trip to Tahiti where he accompanied and aided a native hunter in killing a giant octopus featuring 25 foot tentacles.
Hello, that ain’t wrestling. “Assisting” means what? Carrying gear? Taking pictures? Holding the hunters beer?

Quote:
In the American version of the game, there were two categories: one where you used scuba gear and other where you didn’t. You got twice as many points per pound of octopus captured when you did it without diving gear. While the animals are not very aggressive, divers had to watch out for the tentacles that could grab hold of their masks or the air hose cutting off air supply. But it wasn’t hard to pull the tentacles off, so it wasn’t a dangerous sport.

After the animals are dragged to the shore, they are weighed and once the match is over, the octopuses either gets eaten, given to the local aquarium, or returned to the sea.
Interest in octopus wresting died as quickly as it began, and by the mid-60s, such tasteless competitions were no longer popular. In 1976, Washington State hammered the final nail with a law that made it illegal to capture or harass an octopus.
That’s unconstitutional until they pass a law making it illegal for the octopus to capture or harass you.
The constitution guarantees the government will fuck all equally.

link
Old 07-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A 60 pound octopus scares the shit outta me.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Whatever happened to recipes of the day?
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Slice tentacles into one-inch rings, bread with Uncle Buck's Fish Fry, fry in 275-350 degree oil until just firm.

Feeds 100.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
Whatever happened to recipes of the day?
You might find some over here.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
blueboy56
Master Locutor

Unhappy

On the flip side, I believe it is the Australian Blue Ring octopus at about 2-3 inches tip to tip with a venom that is 100% lethal and has no antitoxin available. I knew there was a reason that I haven't traveled down under.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

ONE of the reasons. Every damn critter in Australia wants to kill you and feast on your entrails. Fortunately most of them can't, but that doesn't stop them from wanting to.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Slice tentacles into one-inch rings, bread with Uncle Buck's Fish Fry, fry in 275-350 degree oil until just firm.

Feeds 100.
The tentacles of an octopus do not slice into rings. You're thinking of the body of the squid, squid "rings".
Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

No I'm not. You're thinking I'm thinking of squid. Kalimari never entered my mind.

Maybe I should have said perpendicular to their length, or across the grain? Do octopi have grain?

Old 07-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Domesticated Octopi are grain fed.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I’m having trouble relating 30kg to “Giant”... but I’m no Einstein, never understood relativity.

Hello, that ain’t wrestling. “Assisting” means what? Carrying gear? Taking pictures? Holding the hunters beer?

That’s unconstitutional until they pass a law making it illegal for the octopus to capture or harass you.
The constitution guarantees the government will fuck all equally.

link

This same topic was recently covered in a local story on the program "Local Wonder".
Old 07-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Domesticated Octopi are grain fed.
Those are the best kind. The best cows, the best octopi, farmers' daughters...

Old 07-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
A 15-year-old boy from Tacoma was walking down Titlow Beach with a girl he liked when he saw a giant thing - that looked like an octopus tentacle - emerge from...
the water?
His pants?
Her skirt?
Quote:
He ran, screaming.
These people talk about weight, 50lb, 100lb, etc. Or they talk about size, like 6ft across, 20 ft across, etc. But they never put them together like 8ft across and 150 lbs, to paint a complete picture. I wonder if it's because there is no correlation, like 8ft across could be anywhere from 50 to 200 lbs?
Doesn't matter I guess, because I ain't going to their house and they're not welcome in mine.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The Earthly laws of physics do not apply to octopi, as they are not of this world.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
No I'm not. You're thinking I'm thinking of squid. Kalimari never entered my mind.

Maybe I should have said perpendicular to their length, or across the grain? Do octopi have grain?
No grain. But if you slice then like that, you'll get discs, not rings. The tentacles are not hollow.