The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 07-12-2005, 11:56 PM   #796
FallORFly
Neophyte-in-training

OOPs..

seems like my site is picky, the url is www.freewebs.com/elddir just check it out, i think you will be impressed...
FallORFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:55 AM   #797
discordant_harmony
The Only One He Ever Feared

Yeah, we on here have through all 6 lights, and are trying to figure out how to go to the next page, since it is not a un/pw one. We (or I should say they) are decoding the barcodes and the strings of letters.

And I tried your site, I got to the second page so far...

Edit: i've now gotten to the next one....it's a nice asuurance that i CAN do some of these things...

Last edited by discordant_harmony; 07-13-2005 at 03:09 AM.
discordant_harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #798
Duey Oxburger
I swallowed a lot of agression...along with a lot of pizzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by discordant_harmony
Ok, ok, let's get over the whole "newbie" thing right now. I've gotten as far as y'all, to the ShovelThatGoodSnow page and I've read since page one.

First of all, does anyone know if there is an online version of DDD? And should I read WSC first?

It seems like we have given up on decoding the two strings of text. Does anyone have any fresh ideas for keys?
You don't need to read WSC first. I read DDD first, then WSC; order doesnt matter (and it doesn't matter if you read WSC). Here is DDD online
I have given up on keys. I tried guessing all the obvious ones, but it became too frustrating due to lack of clues.
Duey Oxburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:53 AM   #799
FallORFly
Neophyte-in-training

Quote:
Yeah, we on here have through all 6 lights, and are trying to figure out how to go to the next page, since it is not a un/pw one. We (or I should say they) are decoding the barcodes and the strings of letters.

And I tried your site, I got to the second page so far...

Edit: i've now gotten to the next one....it's a nice asuurance that i CAN do some of these things...

Thanks, I'm trying to give people more ideas and exprience so that they will think more openly on TINP.com . Tell your friends...
FallORFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #800
discordant_harmony

Thanks Duey

I'm sure that the key is very obvious, but we aren't thinking simply enough, we are trying to make it too complicated...

On the very opening page (with the oven, Something is Coming), the status bar says Cut and Cut and Cut, I don't remember that ever coming up in anything. Did it?

Also, isn't dropping your axe a euphamism for dying? Richard Manuel hanged himself in a motel room in Winter Park, Florida...Vigenere died of throat cancer. Does anyone know where he is buried?

Last edited by discordant_harmony; 07-14-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #801
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

Quote:
Thanks Duey

I'm sure that the key is very obvious, but we aren't thinking simply enough, we are trying to make it too complicated...

On the very opening page (with the oven, Something is Coming), the status bar says Cut and Cut and Cut, I don't remember that ever coming up in anything. Did it?

Also, isn't dropping your axe a euphamism for dying? Richard Manuel hanged himself in a motel room in Winter Park, Florida...Vigenere died of throat cancer. Does anyone know where he is buried?
cut and cut and cut was a clue for the gordian knot i thought.

i tried "winter park" and "florida" as a key and no luck
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #802
discordant_harmony

Oops, I forgot about that...

dang it, I thought I was onto something there....where is Vigenere buried?

Edit: IDEA! Since each of the lights seem to represent a death in DDD and the 6th is the empty coffin, the protagonist's, where did he die? Or did he? I haven't finished yet.

Also, I find it interesting that on TINP, Vigenere is spelled w/o the e after the g. Random thing, but I might as well say it.

Last edited by discordant_harmony; 07-14-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 PM   #803
Hajik
Glorified Gunslinger

I doubt anyone would do this for me, but it would be supremely awesome if someone could just PM me with a quick run down on what's happening. TINP interests me a lot and I'd like to help you all on whatever needs to be done.
Hajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #804
crazypeoplethink
Irrelevant Adulterant

discordant_harmony where did you get those names?
crazypeoplethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #805
SilverPhoenix
dreamer of the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypeoplethink
discordant_harmony where did you get those names?
Richard Manuel was with The Band, and sang (perhaps also wrote? can't recall and can't be arsed to look it up at the moment) one of the songs whose lyrics appear in a Javascript popup on Vig.htm and Near.htm.

Vigenere is the name of the man whose portrait appears in the source code of Near.htm; he's commonly attributed with creating poly-alphabetic ciphers. He didn't; rather, he created a new, nearly unbreakable version of them (see Wikipedia for more). Chances are that the strings of gibberish in the source code of the /6/*.htm pages are encoded with a Vigenere-style key.
SilverPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #806
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

richard manuel wrote lonesome suzie and is in "The Band"
Kagen4o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:24 AM   #807
xmortalityx
Sweet Jesus!

After finally getting the un/pw to Audition, Ive noticed that after you click on the tree, and then the window in the house, that the words in the top right corner read "3sv8v wtw sv w8lk sr7 z2v. 4rumv8v"
xmortalityx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #808
Duey Oxburger
I swallowed a lot of agression...along with a lot of pizzas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmortalityx
After finally getting the un/pw to Audition, Ive noticed that after you click on the tree, and then the window in the house, that the words in the top right corner read "3sv8v wtw sv w8lk sr7 z2v. 4rumv8v"
Yes, We have already decoded that.
Here is the code if you want to figure it out yourself :
ABCDEFGHIJklm <--- this line corresponds to both of those below
zyxwvutsrqpon <--- this line corresponds to the letters above or numbers below it
0123456789 <------ this line decrypts as the lower-case letters, and encrypts as the capitalized ones.

Or heres the answer (highlight it): Where did he drop his axe, Vignere?
Duey Oxburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:50 PM   #809
discordant_harmony

That missing e is still bugging me....I went back and looked. There is also that extra m in a barcode. Are there any more things like that?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #810
SilverPhoenix
dreamer of the dream

Quite a fw. MMost of them are simple typos; I'm not sure we've found any that are more than that, but there might be a couple that were significant and we didn't notice at the time.
SilverPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote