The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-13-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

What is the origin of your Cellar handle?

This is a topic which may have come up before, and if so, sorry for the rerun. I thought it may (or may not) be interesting to learn where some Cellarites' handles originated. Of course, in an ingenious display of anticlimactic posting, the story behind mine isn't terribly interesting...

I was at a restaurant with my older brother, YEARS ago. We were both single at the time. The waitress was a cutie, and was flirting with us heavily. I kept being a wiseguy and cracking jokes, which she seemed to find hilarious. She must have been hoping for a big tip. There is no innuendo in the previous statement.

Well, after wiping away tears from a laughing fit, she asked us what our names were. My brother replied with his name, and she looked to me. To this day I don't know why, or where it came from, but my response was "They call me Hot Pastrami."

My brother told everyone, and I have been known as Hot Pastrami ever since.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Mine's from an Ayn Rand book - Atlas Shrugged.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
tonksy
100:10100

mine is a derivative of tinkerbell which was a childhood nickname. *shrugs* people don't really use my first name.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #4
dave

Mine comes from one of my favorite video games, Metal Gear Solid. At the end of the game, after Solid Snake defeats his evil twin Liquid Snake, we find out that his name is "David". I thought this was an interesting and unique name, so I took it for myself.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Mine comes from one of my favorite video games, Metal Gear Solid. At the end of the game, after Solid Snake defeats his evil twin Liquid Snake, we find out that his name is "David". I thought this was an interesting and unique name, so I took it for myself.
See, and I always thought it was an "and Goliath" reference. Isn't this fun? Whee!

Cough.

Oh, and thanks for spoiling the end of the game.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:55 PM   #6
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Mine is a tortured derivation first from a quote from the scientist who (as best I recall from high school biology) invented the microscope. First thing he looked at was some standing water and dubbed all the microscopic creatures he saw "cavorting beasties." I don't know why but that expression stuck with me.

The 2nd component is my college affiliation (Georgia Tech - the Yellow Jackets) and hence the change af beastie to Beestie.

Dumb, yes. But I hate thinking up nicknames while staring at registration forms
Old 11-13-2003, 01:18 PM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

A freshman year "intellectual" discussion concentrated on precisely how much fun a barrel of monkeys was. I drew a cartoon character to illustrate the issue, and it has become my personal logo.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie

The 2nd component is my college affiliation (Georgia Tech - the Yellow Jackets) and hence the change af beastie to Beestie.
Those damn Stinger buses drivin' through Decatur are the worst effin' road obstructions. Never stay in the lane, always drive too fast, offloading geeky Techies at our hospital clinics ... even worse than MARTA!

Anyway, my name comes from the first memory I have of being born - the piercing light blinding me, the smell of blood and chemicals like a ominous swirling cloud of sterility. Momentous, yet discomforting. Devastating, yet inevitable. Then I realized my purpose: to save this shithole planet from the fiery, destructive denouement of this chapter in the Devil's book.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
r9703410
Coronation Incarnate

R9703410-comes from my schools id #
Cuddles(yes I'm that one to)- comes from a friend of mine. I'm big so he said I'm like a big cuddly teddy bear when hes cold.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:23 PM   #10
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Back in 95 I did a lot of web dev for KPMG LLP. When we QAed pages we'd sometimes run itno the "Dreaded FileNotFound"

I thought that was funny and when I had to pick a name for my Subspace user account (google Subspace . It's still around, it's fun and free. Check out Extreme Games or Trench Wars) I picked FileNotFound as it amused me. It stuck since then.

Other names that I have gone by:

Darker (MPlayer) - There is an ANCIENT Psygnosis game called that...I loved it. Despite the fact that it was buggy and I never managed to finish it.
Strass(EQ- Mith Marr)
Shadowstump(EQ - Mith Marr)
OgreSlayer( Subspace, my friend played as Ogre)
File - (In cases where FileNotFound didn't fit)
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:43 PM   #11
Razorfish
Superhero

I got mine from the web consulting firm by the same name. I had a good friend who got out of college and got a job with them. He and his co-workers got so many perks; even as low-level employees. Some of these included non-deductable health insurance, no dress code, and like $500 a year to spend on sports/fitness related equipment. He showed me the laid back coporate nature and how fun his job as a web developer/consultant-in-training could be (even though it was a lot of work). This is what got me interested in the technology field. That and Razorfish is a cool and original name for a company.

Sadly the company Razorfish ran into money problems about two years ago and was aqquired by SBI. My friend got laid off but he doesn't regret his short duration at Razorfish.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:04 PM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

uh, hi...my name is jim and, well... i just like lumber
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:10 PM   #13
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Do you mind me asking what exactly it is about lumber that you find so appealing/attractive/likeable?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that lumber is an odd thing to like. I just never found it facinating or in the least bit excieting, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:12 PM   #14
r9703410
Coronation Incarnate

He's right.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:20 PM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

among other hobbies, i enjoy woodworking.
also it's a play on the term "lumberjack"

not very funny or creative, but .....I'm not very funny or creative.

so.....there it is
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote