The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Which economic stimulus would you support?
Modernize the patent system. 6 60.00%
Legalize it! 9 90.00%
Other: explain 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Waiting for actual economic stimulus...

The Democrat way seems to be by picking and choosing winners for free tax money, a method which has already failed spectacularly in NYS. The GOP way seems to be pretending a 14% effective tax rate is somehow suppressing economic activity. Both would seem to be violations of a balanced social contract.

I have two suggestions pulled from major media this week. Patent reform and marijuana decriminalization.

The patent system needs to be reworked to prevent frivolous patents in software and bio-tech. This will be hugely complicated especially when Congress is owned by special interests, but a strong move from the executive branch using the bully pulpit could force something through.

The marijuana question is to me an easy win. Break organized crime, reduce police spending, and create a huge revenue stream.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Make hourly marijuana use by patent lawyers mandatory.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Make hourly marijuana use by patent lawyers mandatory.
dude... dude so like... so like we work here right? so like... like... could.. could we like patent, like... uh... like, cheetos on pizza, man..?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Even with the public opinion poles showing the views on pot swinging in favor of legalization, I think it would have to be upward of 85% before any politician would touch it. Have to remember what people answer on a poll is not necessarily what they will say to their neighbors, too.

I think the best chance is for grass roots (no pun) generated referendums on state ballots. Get a majority of the states in conflict with federal law, and the politicians in Washington would have the balls to make a move.

What we are spending to stop it pales by comparison to the revenue it could generate.
Attached Images

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 10-13-2012 at 04:08 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I read that patent troll cocksucker Nathan Myhrvold, has taken out patents on a DRM for 3-D printing. There's a special place in hell for him and his ilk.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

We need to find a special hell on earth for those types.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I've heard (TV) that alcohol prohibition was ended partly because it was an obvious failure, but also because the governments at the time desperately needed the revenue.

Ibby, you seem really in character in that post. Great acting...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Ibby, you seem really in character in that post. Great acting...
i mean like dude like i dont want like i dont want you to think, man, that like i'm that, that, that kinda stoner man, i dont like, uh, i dont talk like that man, i dont know what you mean dude, uh, like, its all greek to me man
Old 10-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Exercise your rights and remember your obligations - VOTE!
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I've heard (TV) that alcohol prohibition was ended partly because it was an obvious failure, but also because the governments at the time desperately needed the revenue.
Yes, a huge chunk of federal revenue came from alcohol taxes, so in order to get Prohibition passed first they had to create the income tax. Then the depression killed much of the projected revenue, so they needed both taxes.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Unintentional pun?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

What we are spending to stop it pales by comparison to the revenue it could generate.
That there is economic stimulus ... for someone.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
snip--

and marijuana decriminalization.

--snip--

The marijuana question is to me an easy win. Break organized crime, reduce police spending, and create a huge revenue stream.
We're on it.

Quote:
I-502 would legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana for adults 21 and over, and will appear on the November 6 general election ballot.

Under I-502, privately owned and operated standalone, marijuana-only stores would be licensed to sell limited quantities of marijuana to adults 21 and over. Washington growers and processors would be licensed to provide marijuana to the stores. Yet advertising would be restricted, and a new DUI threshold for THC would operate like the .08 threshold for alcohol to keep impaired drivers off the streets.

Eighty percent of a new marijuana excise tax would be dedicated to health care, prevention, research, and education. The balance of the excise tax, and all retail sales tax, would go to the state general fund and local budgets. Preliminary fiscal analyses published by the Washington state Office of Financial Management estimate I-502 would generate $560 million in new tax revenue annually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Even with the public opinion poles showing the views on pot swinging in favor of legalization, I think it would have to be upward of 85% before any politician would touch it. Have to remember what people answer on a poll is not necessarily what they will say to their neighbors, too.

I think the best chance is for grass roots (no pun) generated referendums on state ballots. Get a majority of the states in conflict with federal law, and the politicians in Washington would have the balls to make a move.

--snip

These are the state representatives from my district:

Quote:
Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D-36th District), Representative Mary Lou Dickerson (D-36th District) and 14 other Washington state legislators announced their endorsement of Initiative 502 today.