The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Imus and Nappy-headed-ho's

When is Sharpton, Shabaz, and Jackson going to step up and apologize for the comments they made about the Duke players. Fucking double standard racist idiots. Typical.... Oh wait, I forgot, negros can't be racist, my bad. We can let Nazi mofo's protest in black areas of the country but we want to nail a radio host to a cross, who I really can't stand, for the same protected speech. Ha!

Let the flames be lit!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I really think the word negro should have fallen out of fashion by now merc.

You are right. Nobody should be racist. But.....the power differential between black and white is vast and historical factors don't just disappear because we buried two generations.

When a black man calls a white man by a racist epithet or makes racist comments......what does that really mean to the white man? What power has that comment over him?

When a white man does the same to a black man he is doing so from a position of actual, current and historical power. It wasn't so long ago that black men were being lynched in America at a rate of 3 a week.

Why do you continually defend the right of white people to be racist. Is there something you aren't telling us? Do you have a hood tucked under your bed?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
DanaC

Okay that was probably unfair. My apologies.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I really think the word negro should have fallen out of fashion by now merc.

You are right. Nobody should be racist. But.....the power differential between black and white is vast and historical factors don't just disappear because we buried two generations.

When a black man calls a white man by a racist epithet or makes racist comments......what does that really mean to the white man? What power has that comment over him?

When a white man does the same to a black man he is doing so from a position of actual, current and historical power. It wasn't so long ago that black men were being lynched in America at a rate of 3 a week.

Why do you continually defend the right of white people to be racist. Is there something you aren't telling us? Do you have a hood tucked under your bed?
I use Negro, because I do not support the self appointed term of "African-American".

We have developed a double standard in this country. Black rappers and so called leaders of blacks in American society can use any terms they care which are clearly racist and no one says a thing, PC response at it finest hour. But a dumb assed radio host says something stupid and everyone wants to hang him from the proverbial tree. The guy tried to atone for his fopaw, Jackson and Sharpton have both made highly racist remarks about Jews and Whites in this country and no one says a word. Rappers use "nigga" all the time, and that is ok? I do not support or condone what Imus said. Fine. But to carry on as if no negro's have made similar comments, some equally racist, and no one has the balls to call them out about it. This is a double standard.

No white hoods.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
DanaC

I just googled the story. I thought you were referring to some people as nappyheaded ho's. I am not familiar with the people or events.

Again, my apologies.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
TheMercenary

Quote:
Okay that was probably unfair. My apologies.
No need to apologize. You are a good conversationalist and I respect your views, even when we don't agree on numerous subjects.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
DanaC

Negro was a term used by whites to describe africans. It denigrated them because it reduced them to the colour of their skin. It defined them in terms of their difference to all other races.

African Americans have every right to define themselves as they see fit. The vast majority of them are of African descent and are Americans. Why would you care how they define themselves? Why defend your right to use a term they find upsetting,abusive and derogatory? Does it harm you to respect their wishes in this? Why is our (white european and american) appointed term for them more appropriate than their own appointed term? They didn't call themselves negros until we told them thats what they were.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
TheMercenary

You are either African or American. Not both IMHO. I am an American of Irish/Scottish/Canadian descent. I am not an Irish-Scottish-Canadian-American. 90% of blacks in America are so racially mixed that there is no way to say who is who. People can define themselves as they see fit, it does not mean I have to agree or go along with it.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
DanaC

Then call them black Americans, or just call them Americans. Negro is an insulting term for you to use. The fact that they do not feel offended when a fellow black person uses that term ( though i suspect many are unhappy with that usage too) is based purely on the fact that it comes from an attempt by this generation and the last to declaw a word which had been used for several hundred years by their oppressors. Whether you agree with that or not, you must be aware that any time you use it around black people you are likely to cause offence. Are you happy to cause offence unnecessarily?

This is a subset of the American community which is still dealing with the scars of hundreds of years of abuse. Even the ones who are not descended from slaves will still feel that heritage, because it carried through across the whole of the white world. It also carried thyrough into Africa during the colonial and post colonial era. If they are still healing, and struggling to define themselves in the face of that heritage, who are we to deny them that right? To what purpose? In what way does it harm you ?

I have heard Irish people in England refer to themselves as paddies. Were I, as an English woman, to use that term with them that would offend them.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
-blah blah blah-- we want to nail a radio host to a cross, who I really can't stand, for the same protected speech. Ha!
What "we" wants to crucify Imus? You got a mouse in your pocket?

Why do you object to a business decision? Do you think protected speech equals protected job? You don't strike me as the Union type, and Imus less so. Should those bushel baskets of tax dollars you paid be used by the government to pay for Imus' salary since he's not the moneymaker MSNBC thinks he should be? Who should be in charge of deciding if he may stay employed?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #11
TheMercenary

Quote:
Then call them black Americans, or just call them Americans. Negro is an insulting term for you to use. The fact that they do not feel offended when a fellow black person uses that term ( though i suspect many are unhappy with that usage too) is based purely on the fact that it comes from an attempt by this generation and the last to declaw a word which had been used for several hundred years by their oppressors. Whether you agree with that or not, you must be aware that any time you use it around black people you are likely to cause offence. Are you happy to cause offence unnecessarily?

This is a subset of the American community which is still dealing with the scars of hundreds of years of abuse. Even the ones who are not descended from slaves will still feel that heritage, because it carried through across the whole of the white world. It also carried thyrough into Africa during the colonial and post colonial era. If they are still healing, and struggling to define themselves in the face of that heritage, who are we to deny them that right? To what purpose? In what way does it harm you ?

I have heard Irish people in England refer to themselves as paddies. Were I, as an English woman, to use that term with them that would offend them.
Well at least you recognize your own history of double-standards and the colonization of Africa. Your own history of oppression of the blacks in Africa goes back a long way as well, not to mention a myriad of 100 other countries. I don't take every chance to beat up England for the treatment they gave to my ancestors in Scotland or Ireland every time England or an Englishman stumbles in some speech. I do not deny the right of any people to call themselves what ever they wish, I reserve the right not to agree and call them what ever I want. It harms me not. It harms them not. Sticks and stones and all that…
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
What "we" wants to crucify Imus? You got a mouse in your pocket?

Why do you object to a business decision? Do you think protected speech equals protected job? You don't strike me as the Union type, and Imus less so. Should those bushel baskets of tax dollars you paid be used by the government to pay for Imus' salary since he's not the moneymaker MSNBC thinks he should be? Who should be in charge of deciding if he may stay employed?
The business decision was based upon a PC fear of a backlash by the organizations with the loudest voices among those who are trying to exploit this event for race baiting reasons, instead of letting the parties involved deal with the issue. But no, suddenly we have all these other parties getting involved in an attempt to exploit this as something larger than it is. The women of the Rutgers team are not defined by the statements of some idiot on a radio show. So much more is being made of this. The sooner people stop blaming others for their current situations the sooner people will advance on their own merits regardless of color. It is prison culture that is being advanced. There is no magical mythical white man keeping anyone down.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

A business responding to its customer's preferences. No story here, move on people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy
The sooner people stop blaming others for their current situations the sooner people will advance on their own merits regardless of color.
Shit, now you got me all confused. Who's side are you on again?!?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
A business responding to its customer's preferences. No story here, move on people.

Shit, now you got me all confused. Who's side are you on again?!?
I don't support what Imus said, other than from a free speech stand point, the guy is a jerk, always had been.

I don't support this event being the cause of his firing.

I don't support the comments of Jackson, Sharpton, or Shabaz in their attempts to exploit this event, esp given their comments about the Duke players. They are igger idiots than Imus could ever hope to be on his worst day.