The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 12-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

New camera for xmas!

Hubby has told me to go shopping for a camera, I've been eyeballing the Nikon D-70s.

Anyone have one, opinions?
I plan to do nature shots, including close-ups of flowers, action shots of horses/cats and Hubby w/ his Jeep and just general photography.
hh

ps, did a cross post in Technology...
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I shoot with a D-70 and have been happy with it for some time. It has taken quite a beating during its life and still operates just fine.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
chrisinhouston
Professor

Although I've never shot the D-70 I owned Nikon film SLRs for 30 years. I recently went digital and as all my Nikon lenses were in need of replacement I opted for the Canon 20D (now replaced with the 30D) That being said, I'm sure the D-70 would be great but I also saw that Nikon has a D-80 with 10MP sensor.

A great website to review and compare digital cameras is http://www.dpreview.com/
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I have a D50 and I love it I've used a D70 once or twice (the PR office where I work has one) and also love it.

I don't know what price point you're working under, or what the current price difference between the D70 and the D50 is... but you might consider the value of a D70 vs. D50 + extra lens.

Having said that the D70, aside from any feature differences, is probably more rugged than the D50, which may play into your choice based on your description.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
glatt

In addition to dpreview, if you go to Flickr, you can sort the millions of pictures there by the kind of camera that took the pictures. You can look at literally thousands of pictures taken by a D-70 at Flickr and see if you like the look of them. Of course, the failures won't be posted. People usually only post pictures they are happy with.

Also, my wife told me to pick out a camera too. My price point is a little lower. I ended up telling her I wanted a Panasonic Lumix FZ7. I'm excited.

Last edited by glatt; 12-08-2006 at 12:22 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
busterb
NSABFD

HH read the thread, New camera, dream In the tech section. I'm happy with my Canon.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb
HH read the thread, New camera, dream In the tech section. I'm happy with my Canon.
You read my thread or there is a thread there about cameras?
I used the search feature here at The Cellar and it didn't pull up any topics about cameras...I'll try again.
hh

ps, I love dpreview.com
Old 12-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's a thread.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Thank you Bruce!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
I have a D50 and I love it
I bought a D-50! We have a friend who has one and I went to his house today for him to show me the camera. His wife also likes the camera and between the two of them (one more technologically inclined and the other prefers simplicity) I think I will be very happy with the D-50.

Besides, now I have people to run to if I have a problem. "Hey, show me how to do this."
h