The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #4546
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I wouldn't say I'm exactly upset, but...

About a month ago, I applied for a job. The owner of the company started corresponding with me via e-mail just a few hours later. We talked back and forth, but our schedules were such that I wasn't able to interview with her in person until 2 weeks ago. The interview went great, and I appear to be the only candidate for the position. When we met in person, she was supposed to start calling my references...that was the 18th. I e-mailed her to get a status update early last Wednesday, but when I hadn't heard from her by Friday morning, I pretty much gave up on the job.

So I'm getting my car washed at my favorite spot Saturday morning...and I run into the owner! She actually saw me first...she apologized for taking so long, but that things have been terribly busy and that she hopes to call my references this week.

She told me during the interview that they are desperate for a new supervisor, but that they want to do their due diligence. And I realize that hiring processes can take time...but this is just so frustrating. All my refs know she's going to call, and it would take about an hour to call them, if that.

It doesn't help that my temp assignment ended Friday, and now I'm at home twiddling my thumbs.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #4547
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What's upsetting me? Fuck dementia.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #4548
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Two of my family members in California have been told by the authorities to evacuate numerous times due to the fire, but they're so friggin stubborn that they refuse to leave their houses. It's a waste of resources to have to keep knocking on their doors - They're pissing me off, but they just won't listen and refuse to budge. I hope the authorities arrest them, only problem is one of them is a cop, so he'll probably get to stay.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #4549
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Why are they being assholes and threatening/risking other people's lives as well? They'll probably be first in line to sue somebody, anybody as well... GRRRR
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #4550
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Yeesh, you wouldn't have to tell me twice!

Aside: reminds me of this Eddie Murphy bit, years ago, talking about The Amityville Horror:
Quote:
Movie be just like this: [brother's voice] "Wow, baby, this is beautiful. We got chandelier hangin' up here, kids outside playin', it's a beautiful neighborhood, I really love it - this is beaut--" [demonic whisper] "Get out!" [brother's voice] "Too bad we can't stay." [instantly spins, starts walking upstage]
Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #4551
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Seems like every personal conversation with Mum leads to disagreement with someone else
Great chat today. Intimate, understanding, accepting.
Except it turns out Dad has been complaining about me to Mum.

Partly, this doesn't surprise me. In that he is even more non-confrontational than I am. He is actually in the negative range when it comes to confronting people. He would slit his own wrists (if it wasn't a sin) rather than tell someone else they had wronged him.

But it's hard to hear that you've annoyed/ upset/ angered your Dad after the fact.
I used to hate Mum for this, but these days I mostly understand where she is coming from. Why should she be the one in the middle? Why should she listen to his complaints and not pass them on?

Apparently, I have been profligate in my use of electricity.
This doesn't just hurt because it's Dad moaning (although that hurts enough)
This rankles because I am - probably - the most energy aware person in this house.
Therefore it drives me round the bend that he can have an issue with me pausing something on SkyPlus (a bit like TiVo I think) while I check something out with Mum.

Now I am living here at my parents' behest. I am damned lucky that they let me stay, and I honestly do appreciate it. Really - it was always my nightmare, my ultimate shame to have to move back here. They have made it something I can both enjoy and accept. These are good people.

BUT. It bugs me that Dads brings up things that upset both Mum (because she's in the middle) and me (who they are aimed at) and they are nonsense. I could be more energy efficient. But really - not much more. If you take reasonable energy efficiency (normal, every day) as 100%, I am 75%, Dad is about 35%.

Meh.

I need to move out.
Just annoys me a bit.
No-one likes to be judged on something the judge isn't working on themself.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #4552
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Why are they being assholes and threatening/risking other people's lives as well? They'll probably be first in line to sue somebody, anybody as well... GRRRR
Luckily they're not the suing types, just stupidly stubborn sometimes. Like staying in their house will magically make the fire go around it or something...

My cousin is at the other end of the fireline, and the cops and fire crews actually asked him to stay. Perhaps because he has a huge pumper truck, and is protecting the stables surrounding his house where the stupid horse owners haven't come to evacuate their friggin horses...

Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #4553
Shawnee123

Let's see, if I had fair warning that raging fire was coming, or a hurricane, or molten lava...I think it would be time for a roadtrip! Do they think there is some kind of bravery medal or something?

Wish there were that much notice for a tornado: that's what's gonna get me, a big old swirling, gobbling, tornado.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #4554
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

I'm pretty sure it's just a whole lotta testosterone flowing........."Watch me save my home with a garden hose" mentality.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #4555
Shawnee123

lol...hope they catch it on film, and survive to watch the vid become viral!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #4556
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche View Post
Luckily they're not the suing types, just stupidly stubborn sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche View Post
I'm pretty sure it's just a whole lotta testosterone flowing........."Watch me save my home with a garden hose" mentality.
Sorry - I was speaking in general terms not really specific to your family.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #4557
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

No worries. You're right though, that would be the mentality of most Angelenos - If I lose something, there must be someone I can sue.....

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #4558
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Yeesh, you wouldn't have to tell me twice!

Aside: reminds me of this Eddie Murphy bit, years ago, talking about The Amityville Horror:

I know I am an ass but I thought it was about Poltergeist?! Didn't the TV say GET OUT?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #4559
Shawnee123

I took that quote directly from an SNL opening monologue transcript. That transcript mentioned both Poltergeist and Amityville. I had remembered him using Amityville in a stand-up I had seen. So, you are right, and so am I.

Here's the link to the transcript:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/82/82imono.phtml
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #4560
Shawnee123

Today, upsetting me: human trash.

Tags
swiss