The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2007, 06:26 AM   #11
ravenranter
Mystical Miscreant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
So you read an article about one companies profits and assumed it is everywhere? Over the past 15 years, the oil industry underperformed. And currently, many in the oil industry are not making large profits. The large profits are mostly by a few well located businesses - not a function of the entire industry. And that industry is simply averaging out after a previous decade of unspectaculor profits.

You read about that part also? Or did your just assume that spectaculor profits by Exxon meant all are that profitable?
You made the assumption that I was referring to a story specifically about Exxon, which I'm not. What I was referring to is what it feels like being hit over the head with the term "record profits", over and over since last year.
Is it coincidence that when they're making "record profits", we're paying high prices? Also, I'll admit your remarks about excessive lifestyles rubbed me the wrong way because it sounds like you're making assumptions and generalizations. Some people may live an excessive lifestyle, but plenty of them live in poverty and/or paycheck to paycheck and gas is just one more necessity that costs more (and more and more).