The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Microwave Ovens

We need a new one. We've had our current one since we got here -nearly 10 years- it was pretty expensive Panasonic and has some inverter technology stuff. Recently it made a funny smell and now it's making funny noises! Buh-bye!

We mostly use it to defrost. Any recommendations for an awesome defrosting microwave? We'd pay more for faster, more even defrosting capabilty, but beyong that we couldn't care less. Oh, no Barbie-sized appliances. We need BIG.

thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've had good luck with Sharp, turntable, 2 cubic feet and 1200 watts.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

We have a panasonic and it's pretty good.

I have to ask, is there a trick to defrosting raw meat? Mine always ends up cooked around the edges no matter which microwave I've ever used. I usually just put meat in a zip lock bag and pop it in warm water and it seems to do the job just as fast as a microwave, but more evenly.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
monster

We always had Sharp in the UK. This Panasonic inverter did seem to be better, but it's hard to judge when you've changed continents as well as brands.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
monster

Lower the power to defrost meat. But if you've got the time, the warm water is always going to be better. We rarely have the tiime, though. The inverter technology (whatever the fuck that was) was supposed to be all about defrosting and it was pretty good. but now it's about to blow up. And it has a zillion functions we don't need and a price tag we'd rather not repeat if we can avoid it.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I take meat out in the morning, leave it in the microwave (while off) and when I get home from dinner it's defrosted perfectly.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
monster

That's very helpful, thanks classic
Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
SamIam

I have a very funky small microwave from a nice little old lady who moved to another state to die. I'm afraid her microwave has been hit hard by the loss. I've been searching thrift shops for one, but they seem to get snapped up pretty quickly.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
glatt

I thought our microwave died a few years ago, but it turns out it was our circuit breaker box that needed to be replaced. It would have been cheaper to replace the microwave.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I have a very funky small microwave from a nice little old lady who moved to another state to die. I'm afraid her microwave has been hit hard by the loss. I've been searching thrift shops for one, but they seem to get snapped up pretty quickly.
Let them know you want one. Some thrift shops will hold items for those in need.

have you tried your local craigslist?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #11
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

monnie- I've had no luck with a microwave defrosting anything properly. They are like the flat-top stoves. They are either on or off. There is no in between.
Its either 100% power or zero. Medium is having 100% for half the time and zero the other half of the time intermittently. That doesn't work for me.
Hence my suggestion. Although I realize it is more inconvenient to remember to take stuff out in the morning.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Microwaves work by spinning water molecules around; the molecules heat up from all the moving around. In defrosting, the ice is slowly changed to water, but then once it becomes water, the waves heat it really fast. So wherever the meat changed from ice to water first, gets superheated, while the rest of the meat remains ice.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
Cloud

Here's some stuff from Consumer Reports:

Quote:
Most models did a respectable job of basic microwaving tasks such as defrosting meats, reheating leftovers, and making popcorn. You'll probably pay more for an oven with a larger capacity, stainless-steel finish, lots of presets, and additional functions like convection and speed cooking.

For a basic countertop unit:
The Kenmore (Sears) 6633[9] and 6325[2] excelled in our defrosting test and are slightly more spacious. The Panasonic Inverter NN-SD697[S] was excellent at evenly heating food and offers optional wall mounting. All three have sensors, which detect when food is done and automatically turn off the oven. Choose the Sanyo EM-S6588S for its low price.

The midsized Cuisinart CMW-200 has a grill mode, convection, and speedcook. Among larger countertop units, the GE JES2251SJ[SS] tops the category and offers the most usable space. The Panasonic Inverter NN-T945[S]F was very easy to use and is available in stainless steel and can be mounted on the wall. Choose the Whirlpool Gold GT4175SP[b] or GE Profile PEB2060DM[BB] for its consistent performance; the GE can be wall mounted. Select the Panasonic Inverter NN-SD797[S] or the Magic Chef MCD1611ST for its relatively low price, or the Kenmore (Sears) Elite 6790[9] for its convection and speedcook options. The Frigidaire Gallery FGM0205K[F] offers impressive heating evenness and defrosting.
If this is helpful and you want the full ratings, I could probably print them out, scan them, and email them to you. Just pm me.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Since I only reheat leftovers and warm coffee and tea I bought a cheapo for $50 dollars from a Bi-Mart store. They seem old school shop like a 5 and dime. Sometimes you can find good deals.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
monnie- I've had no luck with a microwave defrosting anything properly. They are like the flat-top stoves. They are either on or off. There is no in between.
Its either 100% power or zero. Medium is having 100% for half the time and zero the other half of the time intermittently. That doesn't work for me.
Hence my suggestion. Although I realize it is more inconvenient to remember to take stuff out in the morning.
It's got nothing to do with being inconvenient to remember. And it's not helpful because I want a microwave, not an alternative. And please stop calling me monnie I DON"T FUCKING LIKE IT. Maybe microwaves don't work for you beccause you call them something stupid too. kthxbai