The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Dorian - a name that will be retired

Damage done by Dorian will probably exceed anything previously seen in the Atlantic. And similar to some that have occurred in the western Pacific.

This is a very tight storm. Gauges only 70 miles from the eye showed almost no pressure decrease (ie 29.9 in Hg). A bad storm will drop air pressure to 28. I suspect this one will register in the low 27 inches.

That much pressure difference in so few miles suggests massive winds that we do not yet build to withstand. Damage on Grand Bahama Island will set a new standard that we have never seen in the Atlantic. These islands are not more than 30 feet above sea level. Storm surge will probably be 20 feet.

This is a very tight storm. When (if) it goes up the American coastline only 60 miles offshore, it should cause little damage. Shift a few tens of miles west to see massive damage. Warnings should be heeded.

Damage to Puerto Rico two years ago will probably not compare to what will probably exist only in the north shores of Bahama.

BTW, a few days ago, another storm left the African coast. It looks similar to Dorian.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Happy day.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

all I know is that this is a very tight storm.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I read that damage done by Dorian will probably exceed anything previously seen in the Atlantic and that damage on Grand Bahama Island will set a new standard that we have never seen in the Atlantic.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think I read somewhere that this storm is very tight.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dorian, is that from Mrs Paul's? If it were Pepperidge Farm I'd remember.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
… BTW, a few days ago, another storm left the African coast. It looks similar to Dorian.
They both look to be Dorian Gray.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
tw

People in Bahamas wish their Dorian was also fictional.

They just woke up and found their picture of Bahama is now young and beautiful. And their cays are old and decrepit.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
tw

This hurricane will hit Alabama. The Don said so. So it must be true.

He even used a sharpie to modify the map proving it is true.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Dorian is gone from my neighborhood. There is a big limb in the yard and some underpinning came loose. Six tornadoes touched down yesterday morning. The one in Emerald Isle, SC is the only one to create property damage. Those people were lucky to be alive as they are right on the beach and were under mandatory evacuation.

The TV stations ran day and night storm coverage so there were few gawkers driving around. During Matthew they ran regular programming and missed the ball.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

I didn't realize Dorian was supposed to be a male name. Suggestions for new name:

Denzel -now there's a good strong name for a hurricane.
Draco
Duke
Disney -there's a name I could definitely live with being retired

But maybe it's time to go with non-human names. They can still have personality...

Dog. "Hurricane Dog is currently threatening mainland Florida ......oh no, off it goes towards Africa.... we think it saw a squirrel..." ok maybe not.

Dustpan. "Hurricane Dustpan is sweeping along the seaboard." potential there I think

Doofus. "Residents are refusing to lose their dignity by evacuating for a hurricane named Doofus." Hmmmm

Domino
Dentist
Dissident

no wait..... Dick. Please let there be a Hurricane Dick. After all, the state most likely to be hit and most of the path projections are appropriately shaped....
Old 09-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #12
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
… Dog. "Hurricane Dog is currently threatening mainland Florida ......oh no, off it goes towards Africa.... we think it saw a squirrel..." ok maybe not. ...
Dog is a nickname for Duane.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Domino
Home destruction in thirty minutes or less, or the next one's free.

Any hurricane over Cat 3 should be called Hurricane! Run, motherfucker!!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #14
tw

Another tropical disturbance will move over Bahamas. It will not be a tropical storm. But it will dump much rain. Either that is good (it will wash things down) or is bad (makes recovery and storage of supplies miserable). Storage facilities are a major problem there.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #15
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Another tropical disturbance will move over Bahamas. It will not be a tropical storm. But it will dump much rain.
Well it did become a tropical storm. It was predicted to dump 7 inches of rain. It may only dump 6 inches. But it has stalled off the Bahamas. And is now predicted to become a hurricane.

An island without almost no roofs to store necessary supplies now must deal with more massive rains as expected. Can anyone in Houston appreciate it?