The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 06-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Daniel's Big Trip

Daniel's Big Trip, is a clever, funny, very entertaining blog, being written by a former Apache pilot, now medical student. On his summer break from med school, he's attempting to see the USA in an '84 Chevy Suburban, with his dog RTD, a mildly retarded Boxer.
Quote:
Rocky and I had been living here in Johnson City for about four months when I learned of Rocky’s somewhat unique ability. At the time, I was renovating my house pretty much all at once, so I was living in the back bedroom. I had gotten goofball his own little bed to sleep on in the hopes he would stop attempting to use mine anytime he thought I might not notice. This pretty much meant anytime I wasn’t actually IN the bed. No one ever explained the concepts of forensics to Rocky and it probably would have been a moot point anyhow. Besides, I didn’t exactly need world class training at the Body Farm, blacklights, and a back up team from CSI: Miami to identify the thick coat of dog hair and 3.4 gallons of drool spread liberally across my pillow. Somehow, Rocky has yet to figure this out, and this is a struggle that continues to this day. Anyhow I digress… So RTD was asleep in his bed, as I was in mine. Copious amounts of drool were to be found at either place, being it was about 2:30 in the morning. Anyhow, I awoke to the sound of Rocky growling.

Now while Rockstar might be only sixty pounds, he has a growl that’s reminiscent of a crate of bowling balls turned loose in a cement truck. “Menacing” is a word that comes to mind. So is “coward” but that comes later… Well RTD growled, then got up and wandered the house, growling the whole way. I continued to attempt to sleep, and eventually he came back and began making sweet sweet doggy love to his bed again, and all was well with the world. After about fifteen minutes or so, I again woke to the sound of Rocky growling, and this time I was slightly more concerned. By slightly I mean I only cussed at him a little while rolling over and trying to get back to the land of superchargers and clapping (both things I’d like to do…)
Old 06-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

What a good writer he is! I just followed the link and read a little. I normally avoid blogs (other than keeping track of a couple of political ones) because most I read aren't that good. This one's really entertaining.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Cloud

is the dog named RTD or Rocky? what was the point of that snippet? the dog drools and growls? I don't see any traveling there.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
danielsbigtrip
Non-Newbie Sort

Hey everyone! I found this via my statcounter, and just wanted to drop in to say hi. Thanks for listing my blog, too. I also have avoided blogs for the same reasons up until a couple weeks ago when I posted my own. Not that mine is that much better, but a few people at least find it entertaining! Anyhow, for thos checking it out, I'd suggest reading these two 1st to get a feel for it. Most are humorous, a few aren't, and a few downright suck....lol

<span style="color:#ff0000;"> <strong><em>The Prologue</em></strong> and <em><strong>Legend of The Pinto Bean</strong></em> Posts!</span>
danielsbigtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
danielsbigtrip
Non-Newbie Sort

Well sorry, tried to link it....

http://danielsbigtrip.blogspot.com/2...into-bean.html

http://danielsbigtrip.blogspot.com/2...e-to-book.html

And this one actually has some of the travels (as cloud mentioned the lack thereof! I've only been on the road the last couple days, so the travel ones are upcoming. The first ones were the build up to the trip! Thanks!

http://danielsbigtrip.blogspot.com/2...continues.html
Old 06-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
is the dog named RTD or Rocky?
Yes.
Quote:
what was the point of that snippet?
A sample of his writing style.
Quote:
the dog drools and growls?
It's not cat, so it does more than sleep and eat.
Quote:
I don't see any traveling there.
Then you didn't read the link.
Any other complaints?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Cloud

No I didn't read the link. I was not inspired to. And I thought this was about cities and travel--not writing.

more complaints? Let me think . . .
Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think, "...drive basically a big circle around the USA from TN to Maine, then Oregon, down Cali and off to Key West." qualifies as Cities & Travel.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Cloud

sure, but your post doesn't say that, and the quote doesn't even mention travel, only a stationary sojourn in Johnson City--wherever that is. Staying in one place for 4 months is not travel. It's about a dog who drools, a topic I try to avoid whenever possible.

Now Bruce, I'm sure it's an entertaining blog; or at least you think so, but the selection you chose isn't highlighting any fun, entertainment, OR travel. Care to try again?

(is there a "yanking your chain" smiley?)
Old 06-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hmm.....the snippet Bruce chose drew me in and I was compelled to go to the link and find out what happened about the 'intruder'. I read that he'd been in this plce for four months and thought that sounded pretty transitory.

Can't see any problem with this thread at all :P

Howdy Daniel, nice to meet ya! That's one gorgeous (if slightly dippy) boxer dog you have there
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Daniel, if you are still checking in on this forum...have you ever read "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon? Tremendous classic written by a guy who basically did what you are doing now. Highly recommended, and I look forward to perusing your blog.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
danielsbigtrip
Non-Newbie Sort

Heya everyone! Yea Cloud is correct in that currently the blog isn't travel heavy, but that improves daily (i hope). The first couple weeks worth I wrote to introduce myself, writing style, and pets etc!

I've not read ANY travel books, but i might when i get back... I just don't want them influencing me just yet! lol.. Thanks though! Daniel
Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Daniel, if you bring the Bean (or reasonable facsimile thereof) to the UK you're guaranteed a bed for the night*. Can't help with Rockstar - quarantine, y'know.

Enjoyed what I've read enormously and will be following with interest.
Keep up the good work.
Esp love the Valhalla motorcyclist sign, which we've seen here before, but nice to know someone else has seen it in situ.

*Quick edit - I meant you can have my bed & I'll take the sofa!

PS - Dwellars I know you have a lot of calls on your money, but if you have PayPal this guy could do with a donation. At the lest read his blog and make your own mind up.

Last edited by Sundae; 06-01-2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Sounded like a come-on!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Good for you Daniel - get out there and post more as you go - when in philly area, shoot me a pm.

Thanks for all you did too!
Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I loved it. Great story.